Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Morrissey

Comments

• Options
    Never really got in to them, but last year bought their last album "Strangeways..." on a whim, and really really like it.
  • Options
    Just listened to a bit of Smiths music to see if I can 'get' it.

Nope - bloke sings like he has a hot chip in his mouth.
  • Options
    I love his vocals and lyrics and am one of probably few people who prefer his solo stuff to The Smiths. I'd consider him my favourite artist. He does talk some rubbish but I'm with Muttley on this one.
  • Options
    I Like his stuff and I also think he has a great guitarist in Boz Boorer, have 4 of his albums as well as an HMV singles box set.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Love Jonny Marr as a guitarist and songwriter (his solo album is brilliant)

Like the Smiths and Morrissey's voice but can't stand him as a person.

Down On The Corner by Johny Marr is shamazing
  • Options
    Regardless of the lyrics the guitar playing on how soon is now and shoplifters of the world unite has got to be appreciated
  • Options
    This is quality. Saw a lot of Charlton faces at Johnny's Roundhouse gig....(typicallly all at the bar at the back....)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXEc9WZ1bkY
  • Options
    still sounds like kermit the frogs depressed cousin to me
  • Options
    He has one big ego. he would only give penguin his autobiography if they made sure it was part of the penguin classics range.
    I refused to buy it because of this reason.

The smiths were a good band, and I enjoy a lot of their music. however that tit really does put me off.
    He's still got a lot of fans and his book sold very well.

• Options

He has one big ego. he would only give penguin his autobiography if they made sure it was part of the penguin classics range.
    I refused to buy it because of this reason.

The smiths were a good band, and I enjoy a lot of their music. however that tit really does put me off.
    He's still got a lot of fans and his book sold very well.

Good reason for that - even the members of his band were not given a copy... Stingy northern git. There is so much more I could write but I don't want to get anyone in trouble. I like the Smiths because of the tunes, the lyrics are neither here nor there to me - I was a happy teenager so never got the angst thing. I like some of the solo stuff, but again mainly because of Alain and Boz's tunes, with the exception of a couple of decent lyrics on You are the Quarry. If meat eaters offend him so much he should stop selling recordings and books to them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Back in the days of the punk wars when the NME was compulsive reading, Julie Burchill got it right - just because you like somebodys first three singles doesn't mean you have to live your life hanging on their every utterance. Personally, The Smiths kinda passed me by but, for another example, I've been a fan of Elvis Costello since the start but in most interviews he trots out a load of bilge IMO - but nothing quite as stupid as Mozza seems to have come up with this time I have to say.
  • Options
    Put me in the like The Smiths camp - if all I wanted was happy clappy upbeat music with a positive vibe I would just stick to my Cliff Richard collection....
  • Options
    Music shouldn't just be happy and upbeat, it should be anything you want it to be.
  • Options

Was about to buy a classic Smiths album last week, but his comments comparing producing hamburgers to the massacre in Norway and referring to the Chinese as a "sub-species" disgusted me. Great music but a class A muppet.

Absolutely outrageous!!!I didn't know that!I liked a few of The Smiths songs and bought two Morrissey albums for just ¥40 (=£4) a few years ago.Listened to a couple of songs but never finished either of them.Might as well throw them away now!
  • Options

Was about to buy a classic Smiths album last week, but his comments comparing producing hamburgers to the massacre in Norway and referring to the Chinese as a "sub-species" disgusted me. Great music but a class A muppet.

Absolutely outrageous!!!I didn't know that!I liked a few of The Smiths songs and bought two Morrissey albums for just ¥40 (=£4) a few years ago.Listened to a couple of songs but never finished either of them.Might as well throw them away now!
    Yep. True according to Huffington Post

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/06/morrissey-chinese-people-_n_706471.html
  • Options
    DA9 said:

Music shouldn't just be happy and upbeat, it should be anything you want it to be.

Not sure about Morrissey but couldn't agree with this more
  • Options
    To be fair to him he does have talent that none of us can compare with.

He's probably the only guy who is more of an over opinionated, over inflated egotistical pr*** in the music industry than Geldoff and Bono
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

What???!!!

You speak for yourself son!
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Huskaris said:

What???!!!

"whooosh"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    IdleHans said:

Riviera said:

Huskaris said:

What???!!!

"whooosh"
    If that's a whoosh then I'm proud of it.
  • Options

Yep. True according to Huffington Post

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/06/morrissey-chinese-people-_n_706471.html
    He may live his life in whatever ridiculous way he wants to but he has no right to critisise a whole race for what only a small bunch of them did let alone humiliate them (us) like that.(And we don't know whether what he heard/saw was true or not!) Gives me the impression of a yesterday's man who is desperately seeking public attention by keeping uttering trash all the time while totally failing to do what he should do ie writing good music.How pathetic that is.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
  • Options
    mrbligh said:
    Very like him, but also a well written ditty, especially for an amphibian.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I used to buy a lot of Smiths albums when i was a teenager , i don't know how the fella made a living out of pedalling the depths of human misery.
  • Options

I used to buy a lot of Smiths albums when i was a teenager , i don't know how the fella made a living out of pedalling the depths of human misery?

I think you answered that question yourself!
  • Options
    Morrissey gave me `Everyday Is Like Sunday'....

....so as long as he doesn't advocate blatant racism or the eating of babies I couldn't give a f*** what else he thinks. If you delve into anyone's life you'll find stuff about them you won't see eye to eye with. I might not agree with all the bollox he comes out with.....but for some of it I know where he's coming from....and I also understand that due to his lifestyle/general perception of the World due to prolonged fame, he may come out with, shall we say, more extreme versions of the same views that the rest of us might inwardly think.
    So he doesn't think a lot of the Chinese.....i'm not even sure he's having a pop on a racial issue to be honest. It's more national in my mind. I mean look at us and the French.....

One thing I will say, at least he has the guts, however odd/off the wall it is, to come straight out and say what he thinks. Look at what we have on this very forum......a number of obvious stone cold racists, the same 'ol names, appearing on every applicable thread with their veiled innuendo.....and none of them having the balls to openly state their true position hiding behind fake persona. Cowardly......a claim you can't direct at Steven Patrick Morrissey.

Just for the record, The Smiths were/are, imo, the second best band in modern history. Me biased? You bet your f****** life I am.