Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Where next after Breaking Bad?

Comments

• Options
    Yes, it was a spin-off from the film, which was based on a book by H.G. Bissinger about a real high school team in a small town called Odessa in Texas. BIssinger spent a year with the team and then wrote the book. The TV series has different actors from the film
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:

....and I am about to start MadMen; based solely on recommendations here. I also have the Sopranos Box Set but yet to watch one.

mad men is okay, the sopranos is the greatest though.
  • Options
    I used to like Frindge when it started but after the 2nd series I lost the plot and gave up!!
  • Options

Prague, your contributions would be welcome on the foreign films thread as us foreign tv addicks are all over the good nordic series you mentioned. Series 2 of the Bridge started on BBC4 last Saturday and as some one said is even better than the first (probably enhanced because we now about the quirks of the main characters in it).

Must confess never heard of Lilyhammer or Spiral though.

I'll catch up with that thread asap. Surprised Spiral hasn't been mentioned there.

Although Jints says there are lots of crossover fans between American and European (subtitled) drama, it doesn't actually seem that way when you read other people's responses here. It's no big deal, I'm just interested in what people 'consume' and why. I have a theory that generally the British divide into those who lean towards America culturally, and those - a minority, but I'm one - who lean more towards Europe. I watched all of Homeland series 1, but I didn't get the same pleasure from it because I didn't relate to the characters or environment. My American buddy gave me Tremane, tried hard with it, but gave up for the same reason And actually I thought whatshername in Homeland showed very similar personal characteristics to Saga Noren in the Bridge, and everyone cooed about what daring TV it was to show the American as such a personally difficult character. Anybody who'd seen The Bridge had seen it all before.

So going back to the start of the thread, based on what he's enjoyed, and knowing him a bit, I expect Raz would prefer US stuff. But if I am wrong, he will give me an earful :-) And if others have enjoyed both genres, I'm interested to hear about that too, just out of interest.

• Options
    Interesting, Prague. On the whole I much prefer European movies - a large percentage of my all-time top 20 would be French, Italian or German - but I do think America has made far superior tv series recently (largely since HBO) than anything UK or Europe has done. That's not to say that I haven't enjoyed Borgen, The Killing etc but I don't think they have the surprising complexity of character of US shows. For example I watched Engrenages (Spiral) just after I'd finished The Wire - probably a mistake - and it seemed somewhat inept by comparison.
  • Options
    No doubt that HBO, and AMC, who do Madmen, have really raised the bar globally, Nadou. Sorry you didn't like Spiral so much. I love watching the performance of the silver haired prosecutor, and of course the redhead bent lawyer woman.
  • Options
    I still have a lonnnggg way to go with B b .. only seen the first 3 series .. waiting for the box set price to drop on the last 3 .. so far? .. absolute TV masterpiece
  • Options

I still have a lonnnggg way to go with B b .. only seen the first 3 series .. waiting for the box set price to drop on the last 3 .. so far? .. absolute TV masterpiece

That's nowt my fishy friend - I've only see the first 2 episodes so got a few sickie days viewing left yet!
  • Options
    How about Band of brothers??

Quality
  • Options

redcarter said:

Shrew said:

The bridge series 1 and 2

Second series has started just as good as the first.
    I love all the Scandi series (The Killing, Borgen and the Bridge, and the Swedish Wallander series, and Lilyhammer which is set in Norway but stars Steve van Zandt) plus the French series Spiral

But I have a feeling that people tend to fall into preferring Breaking Bad and similar high quality US, OR the quality European stuff I listed. I don't see many people on here raving about say, both the Killing and Homeland. Very much personal choice, but have a feeling Raz would be more at home with the US stuff.

I'm not sure I agree with that. Quality tv is quality tv, no matter where it's from. In the past couple of years I've enjoyed The Tunnel, The Bridge and The Fall as much as I have Mad Men, Breaking Bad and Dexter. Most people I know who also enjoy 'real' instead of 'reality' tb would agree.

Sons Of Anarchy I just can't watch. I've tried three times - it just hasn't gripped me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Breaking Bad was brilliant. However, I have a concern about Huell. Hank and Gomez convinced him that Walt was going to kill him. They told him not to leave the room and that was the last we saw. Is he still there?

Given that Huell is a big guy, going a while without food would probably do him some good. However, someone should tell him it is all over. Any way to send a message?
  • Options

How about Band of brothers??

Quality

Absolutely loved it! I watched the pilot at my friend's home 10 years ago but didn't get around to continuing watching until last June.I think it has stood the test of time,doesn't look like it was made more than a decade ago at all.
  • Options
    Nadou said:

Glad to see other people liked FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS. I love series like MAD MEN, THE WIRE, GAME OF THRONES and the THE SOPRANOS etc but if push came to shove and I had to choose a Desert Island TV Box set it would be FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS. Nothing else has ever come close in terms of my getting caught up with the characters, caring about them and rooting for them. As Jessie says above, the feeling of positivity and optimism and sheer humanity of the writing is wondeful and the acting is flawless. Having said all that, I have been very careful in recommending it to many people because the series teeters dangerously close to sentimental trash - but never falls into it, in my opinion - and I know a lot of people would find it very easy to sneer at. The people I risked recommending it to have all loved it and become as addicted to it as I was.

Shame it was never as popular as many other series,not even in the US.The marketing people at NBC must have done something completely wrong.And I don't understand why Connie Britton never won an Emmy award for her performances during those five years.
  • Options
    For those watching Netflix on or via a computer, (i.e: a web browser and not an app) sites like hola.org let you download a free firefox/chrome plugin that disguises your i.p address and lets you watch content from America/Canada/Chile/Brazil.

I watched the first couple of series' of 'Weeds' on the UK netflix - flicked over to the US netflix and found all 8 seasons. Woohoo.
    It can work the other way around as well, I noticed the US version didn't have all the seasons of Dexter whereas the UK one did.
    Films like 'Jack Reacher', 'Life of Pi' and 'Skyfall' all seem to be on the foreign sites before they hit the UK one, so it's worth hopping about from country to country to see what you can find.

I'm currently watching 'Parks & Recreations' via the US site - I can recommend that for light hearted throw away tv in 22min instalments. 'Nurse Jackie' is also worth a watch - if only to see Edie Falco command a different kind of role. Kevin Spacey was good in 'House of Cards' as well.
  • Options

Breaking Bad was brilliant. However, I have a concern about Huell. Hank and Gomez convinced him that Walt was going to kill him. They told him not to leave the room and that was the last we saw. Is he still there?

Given that Huell is a big guy, going a while without food would probably do him some good. However, someone should tell him it is all over. Any way to send a message?

http://youtu.be/oP_4z4IoYHs
  • Options

Breaking Bad is overrated but you should definitely watch it if you haven't yet. It's brilliant TV at times, just not quite the 10/10 stuff like some people say.

Seasons 3&4 were the best and include some of my favourite ever TV scenes.

Which scenes are they?
  • Options
    Utopia's great, that's on 4od, only one short series though.
    Spartacus series' I really enjoyed (Blood and Sand is the first series) if you can get used to the excess nudity (way more than Game of Thrones) and over the top violence.
    Band of Brothers is simply fantastic.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Breaking Bad is overrated but you should definitely watch it if you haven't yet. It's brilliant TV at times, just not quite the 10/10 stuff like some people say.

Seasons 3&4 were the best and include some of my favourite ever TV scenes.

Which scenes are they?
    -Most of the scenes involving the Salamanca brothers, especially the face-off with Hank.
    -The one-two combination of Half Measures/Full Measure at the end of Season 3 is brilliant, mainly thanks to Jesse but the twists are excellent TV.
    -I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS
    -The relationship between Gus and the cartel bubbles then comes to a head really nicely.
    -And then you have the scene between Jesse and Walt with the former holding a gun to the latter's head, only for Walt to convince Jesse that Gus must be responsible. That's probably my favourite scene of the whole show, especially in hindsight.
    -Then of course the dramatic ending of Season 4.

After that, season 5 just didn't feel right to me without the Heisenberg/Gus/Cartel struggle.

Spoilers:
    http://youtu.be/3YVis0HwZdM
    http://youtu.be/dyj8QiZGUMc
    http://youtu.be/wMEq1mGpP5A
    http://youtu.be/q9496wqFKvE
  • Options
    Greenie Junior is right that Luther was the best thing ever on tv. Any one not seen it I urge you to watch, you will not be disappointed. Also good Breaking Bad, The Fall, Sopranos and The Bridge.
  • Options
    I couldn't take to Luther at all. I found it all really stale and cliched. Each episode seemed to follow the same format: cop sails close to the wind by trying to do the right thing against the odds, cop gets angry and frustrated, cop breaks something or throws a table over. I thought Idris Elba was outstanding in The Wire but Luther just didn't cut it for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2014
    From the series I'd seen I'd recommend:

Dexter
    Sons of Anarchy
    Suits
    The Following
    The Walking Dead
    Prison Break

There's loads of different comedies available which are good to watch. Things like Always Sunny in Philadelphia, The Office US are entertaining. As someone mentioned earlier if Friday Night Lights is really good but I didn't know whether to group that with the dramas above.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    after being a slow starter at these non comedy/american whatever you want to call em tv series, I watched lost and prison break, loved them both. About to start with game of thrones, heard good things
  • Options
    Gotta be a slice of Dexter - quality TV!!
  • Options
    Suits.

Witty, smooth and slick. Utterly hooked on it at the moment.
  • Options
    Ive just finished season 5 of Sons of Anarchy and i got through it much quicker than Breaking Bad. Its not such an original idea like BB, but im gripped.

Currently struggling with Boardwalk Empire Season 4 after 3 cracking season, and my Mad Men viewing time has dried up too.

The Office (US) is the best comedy series ive seen.

The Sopranos has to be done too.

If you want something light and easy then Californication (Just ask Ceddy, he loves this one) or even Entourage are well worth a watch.

Game of Thrones is something i didnt think would like. Ended up watching the first 2 seasons within a week. Superb show. If you dont like the show then you will like Emilia Clarke at least
  • Options
    I thought The Following was shite. One good character (the short haired girl) who disappeared into cliche after four episodes. Really wanted to like it too.
  • Options
    DOC64 said:

Gotta be a slice of Dexter - quality TV!!

Agree, but made 2 seasons too many IMO..........................

• Options
    Watching all 6 seasons of Sopranos (for the 2nd time), almost finished so will soon be moving on to one of the following, depending on which I can get hold of!

Sons of Anarchy
    Boadwalk Empire
    Entourage - anyone watched this?
  • Options

Watching all 6 seasons of Sopranos (for the 2nd time), almost finished so will soon be moving on to one of the following, depending on which I can get hold of!

Sons of Anarchy
    Boadwalk Empire
    Entourage - anyone watched this?

I really liked Entourage. Its an easy watch with different celeb cameo nearly every episode. Johnny Drama and Ari Gold are two of my favourite characters ever. If you want to see beautiful girls, cars and houses then get involved
  • Options
    Cheers @Minkcafc

Haven't heard a bad word about it yet!