Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Where next after Breaking Bad?

124»

Comments

• Options
    Thought I'd hate Entourage, and did on the few snippets I caught on itv. Then watched it pc box-set style. Ari Gold is one of the best character actor performances on TV ever, his physical/delivery just keeps the whole thing together.

If you really want to see a brilliant short TV series watch gf Newman's law and order. Said to have been ripped by the US series. Some dodgy future eastender actors and some brilliant performances. The scripting is excellent, as is most of the dialogue. Only
    thing that has come close to George Higgins type dialogue on British TV.
  • Options
    My order of preference after watching is:

1: The Sopranos
    2: The Wire
    3: Game of Thrones
    4: Boardwalk Empire

I am just about to start watching Breaking Bad
  • Options

I was exactly the same (apart from Boardwalk Empire which I haven't seen). After finishing Breaking Bad it went straight in as my number 2! Tops everything, apart from The Sopranos.
  • Options
    Just finished Breaking Bad on blu ray. Alternate ending is superb too! Without doubt one of the best TV series ever. Some great laugh out loud and gasp out loud moments. Game Of Thrones is also worth a watch. Can't wait for season 4. Have heard Spartacus is good so might give that a go.
  • Options
    Haha Friday Night Lights was my guilty pleasure.
    Loved BB

Sopranos
    The Wire
    Dexter
    Boardwalk Empire
    Luther
    Game of Thrones
    Suits
    Prison break

Are all my favourites
    Just finished season 2 of Homeland and really enjoyed that

Might start Sons of Anarchy next. I am running out though!!
  • Options
    No walking dead?
  • Options
    And thought The following was pants
  • Options

Solid list, which I don't think will change.
  • Options
    The final episode of Spartacus was honestly the most satisfying finish to a TV series i've ever seen. It was just perfectly done. I know it wouldn't be everyones cup of tea but honestly one of my favourite tv shows of recent years. Preferred it to Game of Thrones at time as every episode something happened compared to Thrones where I feel a lot is filler sometimes (like the last series)
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Would be my list as well, not seen Game of Thrones though. Added to my must see. Would put Dexter in there as well, terrible last series but absolutely brilliant before that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I thought The Following was shite. One good character (the short haired girl) who disappeared into cliche after four episodes. Really wanted to like it too.

Glad to see this post. The Following is awful. Really awful. Writer Kevin Williamson is taking the pi55. At one point the villain announces "We need a rewrite!" and you can't help but think Williamson is cracking up as he writes this sh1t.

Boardwalk Empire has been cracking for the last two seasons. Much more Sopranos-esque now. Probably the highest quality show on TV alongside GoT.

The Walking Dead is an excellent franchise, but they get through show-runners like nobody's business 'cos nobody knows where the story is going. Hopefully they'll get back in synch with the comic soon (although I'm not convinced Kirkman knows where he's going with it either!).

• Options
    Will have to watch The Walking Dead! I have really struggled with this series of Boardwalk, Have 5 lined up to watch as I have found it quite hard going. Does it get better?
  • Options
    Started watching boardwalk empire. Absolutely loved the pilot - mostly for Scorsese's direction than anything else, looking forward to catching up with it.
  • Options

Started watching boardwalk empire. Absolutely loved the pilot - mostly for Scorsese's direction than anything else, looking forward to catching up with it.

A lot of people dropped out after season two, but that's a shame as it gets stronger. I don't think I am alone in thinking season 4 is the best one so far.
  • Options
    Not on Netflix but the best bit of viewing right now without a shadow is Boardwalk Empire.
  • Options

Solid list, which I don't think will change.
    I can't believe that Breaking Bad won't alter that list.

Anyway, here's a question. Does anyone think that Twin Peaks gets anywhere near that top 4/5 (I haven't seen it myself but I remember how big it was and I'm thinking of trying it)?
  • Options
    Twin Peaks was brilliant. I think you have to really like David Lynch to truly appreciate it though, so if you don't, approach with caution!
  • Options
    I really like Twin Peaks but my favourite film is Mulholland Drive. Objectively Twin Peaks hasn't aged particularly well and season 2 is a let down compared to 1, though it has its moments. Its ending is brilliant. Dale Cooper is also a dude.
  • Options
    Game of Thrones can never do the books justice but it is still fantastic tv

Breaking bad was very good, maybe the hype was a tad over the top I thought but from a few nights stopping up very late to just watch another says it was of a very good standard. Aaron Paul and Bryan Cranston made it. As did the pi mike
  • Options
    Bear in mind though this opinion is from someone who watched every episode of Harry on the boat
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The US office is brilliant, after the first two series is goes in its own direction and takes off

The walking dead. Awesome

If you have not seen the thick of it you need to

Ambassadors was very funny I thought also one to bear in mind is the tunnel
  • Options
    Posting without reading ALL the posts ... I have heard of a follow up/companion to the BR Bad series, 'Call Saul' .. has anyone seen/heard of this
  • Options

As far as cliffhangers and tension goes, it pisses all over Breaking Bad. Characters are well developed as seasons go on as well. Seasons 6/7/8 were not as strong, but still very good.

Seasons 1-5 are unbelievable. One of the very few shows out there were anything can happen at any time.
  • Options
    The only reason 'anything can happen at any time' is because it was written so badly! Comparing 24 to Breaking Bad is like comparing McDonald's to The Fat Duck.

I know it's futile to argue over one person's enjoyment of a show compared to another's, but to be clear - the writers of 24 had no clue where each season was going until around season 5 - that was the first time they planned ahead. Unlike BB, Sopranos, GoT or The Wire, where there was a plan from start to finish, which is usually what helps to make a show great.

In 24, season 1, they had an arc that was due to last 24 episodes. It lasted 12. They had to make shit up for the next 12 - random attacks of amnesia, Lou Diamond Phillips appearing, or Kim getting caught in a bear trap or whatever. Later, they killed people off and then had to write them back in for ratings boosts. They wrote themselves into corners, and had to come up with outlandish ways to get out of them.

It was fun, a lot of fun, but it was stupid. Once you saw behind the curtain, it became a parody of itself, we laughed at it way more than we were thrilled by it.