Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Becoming a young dad.

13»

Comments

• Options
    they aint babies long remember that bit big time
  • Options
    In no way am I'm trying to p**s on your parade but I would like just to say that if she is only 3 weeks pregnant then I would temper your obvious delight with the fact that lots of pregnancies fail during the first 3 months. Most hospitals/midwife's/health visitors tell prospective mums not to tell anyone until you get past the 1st trimester as this is a very crucial period.

I should know, as we had several miscarriages before our 1st was born and I was previously married to a midwife ( she delivered Andy Hessenthalor's first son.........but thats another story).

In any case - many congrats and just make sure you are there at the birth....nothing beats it for emotion.
  • Options
    Am going to be a bit of a party pooper here Willmore, sorry. 3 weeks is nothing in terms of pregnancy, and it's really not a good idea to be making it public beyond your immediate family yet. (Changing this to members only might be worth doing) Having to deal with something going wrong is bad enough, without having to break the bad news to loads of people as well. I know you're probably excited and daunted in equal measure, but it's a long 9months and you shouldn't get ahead of yourself yet.

The important thing is to keep talking with your girlfriend about what your expectations and plans are, for the pregnancy, birth and beyond. What if the scans show some kind of abnormality? Could you cope with a disabled child? What if she has a difficult pregancy or a traumatic birth? How do you feel about breastfeeding, vaccination, discipline and childcare? There aren't necessarily any right answers, but it's better that you discuss and agree things rather than having to make rushed decisions by yourself and falling out about it afterwards.

Being a parent can be the best job in the world, but it's also overwhelming and unrelenting. As others have said, you'll both need opportunities to do your own thing as individuals and as a couple (rather than as parents). And while kids may clamour for stuff that advertising and peer pressure tell them they should have, what they really want is your time.

Good luck to the pair of you.
  • Options
    Be prepared to have the last of your hummus eaten and the empty tub being put back in the fridge. Happened tonight with my 19 year old daughter and I'm seething I tell thee :-(