Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kermorgant to Celtic ?

Comments

• Rizzo said:

No disrespect to Yann, who I think has been amazing for us, but if Celtic are looking at players in the Championship relegation mix to strengthen their squad then it really doesn't say much for them or for Scottish football in general.

Agree with this.

He's an excellent Champ player, and would do fine in the SPL, but its a league C*ltic piss anyway.

Their season is judged on Europe, and i just don't see Yann doing a lot against teams like AC Milan and Barca.
  • I don't know what would be a fair price but we can't afford to lose him. Not unless we have a top quality replacement lined up. I don't think I've ever seen a forward win so many duels against centre backs ever. And for a target man he has exceptional ability on the ball. I could well understand that a club like Celtic would be interested.
  • It depends I suppose on whether or not Duchatelet wants to see us relegated, I can only hope that those responsible for sorting out contracts understand football.
  • Can't see this happening at all.

Yann is an incredibly important player for us at the moment but he is getting on and has never played at anything like the highest level.

Celtic have already got this and next years Scottish title wrapped up. Europe is where they will want to make some sort of impact and given his age and the fact he has never come near that sort of level it would be incredible if Yann was a target for them. Watching a thirty something perform against a league 2 side to gauge whether he might be good enough to play in the Champions league is a bit hard to credit.

The fact that Lennon left after Yann came off doesn't mean much; I have often seen representatives of other clubs leaving well before the end of a game.

If Lennon was giving the once over one of our players I would suggest it was more likely to be Stephens, who is still young and has aspirations to move up a level.
  • Mametz said:

The fact that Lennon left after Yann came off doesn't mean much;

No, but you also need to weigh up that Lennon tried, unsuccessfully, to sign Yann 18 months ago, so we know for a fact he rates him to the extent he tried to sign him.

The fact he was prepared to make a 700+ mile midweek round trip to see 'a player' means he is giving serious consideration to 'that player'.

Whether it was Yann, don't know for sure. But his ability, plus the history of Lennon trying to sign him before weights it strongly for me.

• 'Old age' is no longer a barrier to a career at the top .. Giggs (the supreme example), Phillips, Holt, Lambert .. if they are fit enough they can still do a very good job with the added priceless asset .. experience.

Kermorgant will be guaranteed European football next season if he moves to Celtic
    If Celtic make a determined offer and really want him .. he'll go .. sadly ( sadly for us that is)
  • He could be offered a pre-contract, and sign for them in the summer for nought. Maybe that was why Lennon was watching? No reason to suggest he wil be off this month (as we could ask for a ridiculous fee to cover that option...).
  • Dizzle said:

He can sign a pre contract with them though for the summer

I was gonna say you can only do this with Foreign clubs... Silly question but are Celtic included in this group, reason I ask is there are apparently a few gentleman's agreements around the British FAs
    Isnt the foreign club rule for players under a certain age?

• Hope this isn't true about Yann, perhaps Celtic were impressed by Church and will now concentrate on him!
  • Pretend you are Yann for a moment and think what you would do.

You are a family man of nearly 33 who has performed well for his employer over the last two years. Yet that employer appears unwilling to offer a new contract. How valued would you feel?

It would be tempting to succumb to the promptings of Jock Mc Bastard as a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Given the way he has been treated by the Club I wouldn't blame Yann for going.

"Monsieur Le Gaffer, J'ai une femme et petit garcon et J'ai trente trois ans. Aidez moi avec un contract s'il vous plait"

I haven't studied French for over 40 years but hopefully you get the gist!

Posted on post match views too.
  • Sponsored links:

• I know that we are perennially underwhelmed by signings at Charlton but if you were a Celtic fan you wouldn't be too impressed if your club announced the signing of a 32 year old on a free from Charlton
  • I know that we are perennially underwhelmed by signings at Charlton but if you were a Celtic fan you wouldn't be too impressed if your club announced the signing of a 32 year old on a free from Charlton

Us Charlton fans are just underwhelmed in general, we could sign Messi on a free and some people would still find a reason to moan.
  • all offers for all players will be considered and if good enough all players can go with the consent of the club

Promises were made to Yann last year that were not seen through by the last board , for months it has been said that allowing players to run down their contracts was suicide being committed, fortunately for us and not for the long term of solly his knees are fkd so he fell right on to decent enough contract for a player with long term injury concerns

so we didn't lose him

my opinion is that Yann will go however we will receive a replacement as good if not better

Celtic fans are incredibly loyal and passionate .. ANY player who signs for them is treated as a demi-god
  • edited January 2014
    Kermogant is a Breton, a Celt .. playing for the green hoops might be just like going home
  • Don't call me hoe
  • I remember that Celtic were allegedly looking at Yann 18 months ago but he is even older now.

With regard to agelessness of Giggs and Phillips, Giggs was a World class player who has spent his entire career at the highest level whilst Phillips was playing and scoring for fun in the Premier League in his mid twenties. Probably Lambert and Holt are closer examples but both joined the clubs that really made their name when those clubs were in league one not when they were comtemplating possible games against Barcelona.

A parallel would be us buying a 32 year old from AFC Wimbledon who had spent his career in playing league 1 and 2 level.

I am in way dismissing Yann's ability and his importance to us but Celtic have the clout and resources to look elsewhere.
  • Chizz said:

It would be devastating if Yann left now. But less so if he stayed until the Summer, having seen us to safety. Likewise, what is the point of Celtic buying a player now, when they could secure the same player for the start of next season for nothing?

If Yann stayed, having kept Charlton up, to see his career out at a huge club, playing the Champions League, who could blame him? And, as long as he's replaced by someone of better quality - either now or in the Summer - surely Charlton would be happy?

The question is less about would Charlton want to lose him than who will he be replaced by when he goes?

Gary Goals
  • Mametz said:

I remember that Celtic were allegedly looking at Yann 18 months ago but he is even older now.

About 18 months older according to Wikipedia, though you should never take it as a reliable source.

sarcasm, like flattery, will get you NOwhere .. ((:>)
  • Sponsored links:

• nearly 33? I'd take whatever is offered then, he ain't that good anyway.

What's all this talk that Yann is "nearly 33" ......?

He's not 33 until November.
    You might as well say right now in January, that it's nearly Christmas.

• Chizz said:

It would be devastating if Yann left now. But less so if he stayed until the Summer, having seen us to safety. Likewise, what is the point of Celtic buying a player now, when they could secure the same player for the start of next season for nothing?

If Yann stayed, having kept Charlton up, to see his career out at a huge club, playing the Champions League, who could blame him? And, as long as he's replaced by someone of better quality - either now or in the Summer - surely Charlton would be happy?

The question is less about would Charlton want to lose him than who will he be replaced by when he goes?

Celtic are out of the Champions League so no good him transferring in January. I'd have no objections (although I'd be gutted) to him leaving in the summer and allowing us time to find a replacement. Celtic are a huge club and they would be difficult to turn down for most players in The Championship.
  • I think the biggest issue is that the prick Lennon needs a minder
  • PL54 said:

I think the biggest issue is that the prick Lennon needs a minder

Perhaps he's not looking for Kermy to play then ;-)

• shine166 said:

I know that we are perennially underwhelmed by signings at Charlton but if you were a Celtic fan you wouldn't be too impressed if your club announced the signing of a 32 year old on a free from Charlton

Us Charlton fans are just underwhelmed in general, we could sign Messi on a free and some people would still find a reason to moan.
    He's far too small
  • He can sign a pre-contract agreement as Celtic are in a different country? Right? That makes it a simple "who can offer the best contract?" situation...
  • Easy drive to France, have to fly from Scotland.
  • He can sign a pre-contract agreement as Celtic are in a different country? Right? That makes it a simple "who can offer the best contract?" situation...

Depends on the so called extension trigger on appearances in his current contract, and whether it is weighted fully on our side

• IdleHans said:

shine166 said:

I know that we are perennially underwhelmed by signings at Charlton but if you were a Celtic fan you wouldn't be too impressed if your club announced the signing of a 32 year old on a free from Charlton

He's far too small
    and he doesn't track back enough
  • VG and Mametz seem to me to have it right. Celtic are flush with UCL cash from this season, and need to plan for the UCL next season. It's not even that Yann couldn't Dow a job for them, at least in the qualifying rounds. The point is they have the money to pursue younger targets. That said, I can't imagine why else Lennon was there.