Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Is Sidcup in London or Kent ?

Shamelessly lifted from The Newshopper.

It appears that a Lifer has been quizzing Boris Johnson :-)

Anyway, off you go ....................

DURING his recent #askboris Twitter chat one of the more sane questions asked of the London Mayor was to “end the debate” and say whether Sidcup is in London or Kent.

Boris replied that “I have the honour of representing Sidcup”, implying the town is in London.

The debate didn’t go any further as attention was instead given to the Mayor's incorrect statement about Sidcup being where “Mick met Keith”.

So, let’s pick it up here and see if we can form a consensus on whether the town of Sidcup is indeed in London or Kent.

What’s your view? Do you think Sidcup’s postal address means it’s part of Kent or do you think its location within a London borough means it’s part of the capital? Do you live there – if so, where do you tell people you’re from?

What about other fringe towns in the News Shopper area such as Bromley, Chislehurst, Crayford or Welling – which of these places do you think fall within London and which are in Kent?

Comments

• edited January 2014
    London Borough of Bexley but the County of Kent so surely both?

I'm from Bexleyheath and always say that I'm from both London and Kent
  • As a Sidcup boy I can say Kent post code but London car insurance rates!!!
  • Depends whether you're the sort of person who thinks you live in Welling Village or on the Plumstead borders.

I grew up in Sidcup (The Oval area) to 11 years old then Welling (East Wickham) until age 23. I've always thought of them as London suburbs rather than Kent - that kind of started east of Dartford to me.
  • They are all provinces of the Greater Bromley Empire
  • Sidcup DA postcode so dartford so kent. Completely ambiguous as in lb of bexley
    But for me u seek the postcode

Greater Bromley Empire...all hail!
  • I'm not sure if it's in that article or the comments after but it's best summed up by
    "If someone is murdered, it happened in Sidcup, south east London.
    If someone wins a Nobel prize, they are from Sidcup, kent."
  • Despite my CL nickname I am in fact originally from Bromley. I always thought it was in Kent.
  • always saw it as kent. as I do with Bromley and Bexleyheath. but some would argue to the end that this is wrong but that's just how I view those areas.
    Some of my family are from Dagenham and Romford. they always classed themselves as Essex. though officially both of those places are part of greater London.
  • The two are not mutually exclusive.

It is both. As is Charlton :)
  • Sponsored links:

• someone will be on here soon saying Charlton is in East London.

• If patrolled by the Met police classified as greater London
  • Sidcup , is the london borough of bexley and bexley is kent if that makes any sense.
  • We went through all this with Bromley, last year! Sidcup - like Bromley - is in London. Indisputable.
  • London is in Bromley. All Hail Bromley.
  • Always refer to our great local poet: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_de_la_Mare

"Born in Charlton, Kent."
  • Sidcup is wholly in LB Bexley, therefore administratively is in LONDON .. it's been discussed here before .. when the London boundaries were extended it was felt easier by those in control to allow (e.g.) Bromley, Beckenham, Sidcup to retain 'Kent' as a postal area, .. also it's good for the house seller .. County of Kent is much posher than sarf east lonnon innit .. that the postcode is DA is because Sidcup is served by Dartford postal sorting office
  • Live in Sidcup, always put my address on deliveries as Kent, might start putting London now though!
  • Sidcup is wholly in LB Bexley, therefore administratively is in LONDON .. it's been discussed here before .. when the London boundaries were extended it was felt easier by those in control to allow (e.g.) Bromley, Beckenham, Sidcup to retain 'Kent' as a postal area, .. also it's good for the house seller .. County of Kent is much posher than sarf east lonnon innit .. that the postcode is DA is because Sidcup is served by Dartford postal sorting office

Would have thought a London postcode would put property prices up in comparison to a Kent postcode?
  • Sponsored links:

• How about a compromise....'Selkent'.

I'm sure I've seen it somewhere before.....
  • My address is sidcup kent , not sidcup london.
  • someone will be on here soon saying Charlton is in East London.

Sorry, I was watching Pointless. I got two in the final.

• Always refer to our great local poet: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_de_la_Mare

"Born in Charlton, Kent."

Ran 4th 0f 6 at fakenham today.

Would have thought a London postcode would put property prices up in comparison to a Kent postcode?

now then .. it depends on the postcode .. a Belgravia postcode would probably be more desirable than a Sidcup Kent postcode ... on t'other hand most Greater London/ Kent postcodes would be more desirable than (say) a Bethnal Green or New Cross postcode
  • This ambiguity must be the most exciting thing about Sidcup, im struggling to think of a more boring place.
  • It's Kent, but I would class Croydon as London so what do I know

now then .. it depends on the postcode .. a Belgravia postcode would probably be more desirable than a Sidcup Kent postcode ... on t'other hand most Greater London/ Kent postcodes would be more desirable than (say) a Bethnal Green or New Cross postcode
    In the Sidcup area I mean
  • C_A_F_C said:

This ambiguity must be the most exciting thing about Sidcup, im struggling to think of a more boring place.

Don't be so sure, we have a Waitrose now!