Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Vaughan

Comments

• Options
    The more they mouth it off the more fun it will be beating them!
  • Options
    Met Vaughny at Cheltenham a few years ago, he's a good lad and gives as good as he gets.
  • Options
    that a git!! im ashamed to have same surname as him now!
  • Options
    Michael Vaughan has to be the most prolific cricket pundit out there, he works for BBC 5 Live, Daily Telegraph and was on Channel Nine here in Oz this last summer too.

Can't help thinking I'd rather have his cricketing brain engaged on our coaching staff rather than the media.
  • Options
    I'm tempted to say that considering his tweets were neither particularly funny or accurate, he's probably anticipating losing to us. I imagine he'd be making the same tweets if they drew the Gooners or Man City.
  • Options
    He seems like ancient history, Vaughan played 82 test matches - I think only the first 3 or 4 of them coincided with the Massives being in the Premier League...Sheffield Weds you've been gone so long.
  • Options

BIG_ROB said:

No doubt he'll be pissing and shitting for Twiiter to do something like Collymore if it gets a bit out of hand, but it ill only be #BANTER!

He's played the australians a few times, I think he can handle a bit being given to him.
    From memory he didn.t handle the banter from the Aussies very well........or the rsults?
  • Options
    Some people are far too easily wound up, he was clearly only messing about. Good of him to go on Charlton Live too.
  • Options
    How can someone from oop North, talk with an accent like that?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Was monitoring all this last night as it was happening, really can't see why our fans have bitten, clearly attempting to wind us up, and it worked.
  • Options
    I like Michael Vaughan, I'd like to see him involved with our national cricket team. As far as his comments go, they are just tongue in cheek wind up. No need to take them so seriously.
  • Options

MV is a top bloke, it's harmless fun people.

Agreed it.s harmless fun. MV a top bloke? In your world, perhaps. He's considered a t**t b most

• Options
    edited January 2014

BIG_ROB said:

No doubt he'll be pissing and shitting for Twiiter to do something like Collymore if it gets a bit out of hand, but it ill only be #BANTER!

He's played the australians a few times, I think he can handle a bit being given to him.
    From memory he didn.t handle the banter from the Aussies very well........or the rsults?
    He was the captain of the first side to beat them in a series in something like 18 years and against possibly their greatest ever side. I think you were thinking of the whitewash series (the 06/07 one) in which freddie flintoff was captain and vaughan had a knee injury. I'd say Vaughan is up right alongside mike brearley as England's best captains, got a lot of respect for how he played the game and his knowledge of it.

As people have said, was just banter at the end of the day and spiced up a terrible draw for both sides.
  • Options

BIG_ROB said:

Vaughan only played 10 Tests against Australia, scored 4 hundreds in those games and averaged 63 in 2002/03 in Oz and 32 as Skipper in the legendary 2005 series.

Overall, he won three, lost five and drew two against one of the strongest Test teams of all time.
    Played one of the best ever England innings in Australia, a brilliant 183 in Sydney in 2003. Scored two big centurys in two other tests that series against a great attack.

• Options
    banter goes both ways, don't agree with abuse tho but I guess there is a fine line..
  • Options
    Brian said:

BIG_ROB said:

Vaughan only played 10 Tests against Australia, scored 4 hundreds in those games and averaged 63 in 2002/03 in Oz and 32 as Skipper in the legendary 2005 series.

Overall, he won three, lost five and drew two against one of the strongest Test teams of all time.
    Played one of the best ever England innings in Australia, a brilliant 183 in Sydney in 2003. Scored two big centurys in two other tests that series against a great attack.

His batting that whole series was sublime, he had two trademark shots, a wonderful swivel-pull which often went for six and a beautiful cover drive as well.

For a short while around 2002-2004 he was as good as anyone but the captaincy and injuries dragged him down batting wise.
  • Options
    I'm no big cricket fan but was at the Sydney test 2002-2003 ashes
  • Options

Brian said:

BIG_ROB said:

His batting that whole series was sublime, he had two trademark shots, a wonderful swivel-pull which often went for six and a beautiful cover drive as well.

For a short while around 2002-2004 he was as good as anyone but the captaincy and injuries dragged him down batting wise.
    agree, was legitimately one of the best in the world at that point. As you say, shame about the captaincy being a poisoned chalice for our top players
  • Options
    What's the problem?

I think it's good he supports a local team and indulges in a bit of banter. Besides, from what I've read, JJ has given back as good anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just heard his phone call to Charlton Live last night which is on the web site, really amusing and just light hearted banter.
  • Options
    Has he really upset any Charlton fans with his comments , no just take it in good heart and laugh about it, JD will get his own back with the pre match preview :-0
  • Options
    Some people still haven't got over Bruce's joke to John Barnes on SCD.
  • Options
    sralan said:

That's how they talk in Sheffield. It's like a lifelong Phil Oakey soundalike competition up there.
  • Options
    I was going to say something about his predictions, then I saw that after the second ashes test he said we were looking at a 5-0 hiding unless we pulled the collective finger out. Think I'll keep quiet.....
  • Options
    Stig said:

sralan said:

That's how they talk in Sheffield. It's like a lifelong Phil Oakey soundalike competition up there.
    He's actually a Lancastrian; born in Eccles. Seems odd that he became a Wendy!
  • Options
    Richard J said:

Richard J said:

Just on Charlton Live now , great sport.

Really?? What did he say?
    He is giving good banter my opinion has gone up 100 per cent.Top man.

Me to.
  • Options
    Credit to MV for coming on the show. Shame the Algonquin Round Table of Charlton Live couldn't give as good as they got. Noticed that our highest attendance this year is actually more than Weds!
  • Options

BIG_ROB said:

Well that told M.A.T. didn't it?