Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

1987 Full Members Cup Final

It seems to be Charltons forgotten final and hardly gets a mention these days, I cant even find the attendance anywhere! Yep it was a strange tourney to make up for the lack of European football but it was Charlton at Wembley!

What are peoples memories of the rounds leading up to the final? What was our support like at Wembley?

Comments

• ~ 45000

sure there is a thread on this game if you have a search
  • Was my first ever Charlton game so not one that I will ever forget.
  • Wow, only 15K-ish Charlton there. Understandable as attendances were down everywhere in the mid 80s, combined with the disenchantment of playing at Selhurst.
  • still got the video of this, plus the framed photo of me in the centre circle on my office wall at home
  • Im 30 now, and was living in essex in 98 so Ive never seen Charlton at Wembley. Id love to see us play there, even in a JPT final
  • CAFCTrev said:

Wow, only 15K-ish Charlton there. Understandable as attendances were down everywhere in the mid 80s, combined with the disenchantment of playing at Selhurst.

Blackburn had over 30k there so I would say it was all down to our Selhurst days, not so much linked to general attendances being down across the country.
  • We took about 10- 12,000 and the game was dross, good piss up though.
  • I went to all the earlier rounds. Sparcely populated Tuesday nights in Norwood, but at least we won and blooded a few youngsters too. The quarter final at Everton was one of the best games I have ever seen Charlton play in. Pretty much full strength sides, and Everton were a top, top, side then. Robert Lee played very well, as did Wilkinson for them. It was topsy turvy all game, and through extra time, finishing 2-2, with both sides having hit the woodwork at least once. And so to penalties. I don't think Charlton had won a penalty shoot out previously(?), and after a few saves (the great Neville Southall was in goal for them,...), Neil Pointon had a chance to win the tie for Everton. Luckily, he sliced it just wide of the post. I don't really remember what happened after that but we won...5-4 after 7 pens each I think? There were about 50 Charlton fans there (1 coach). The semi final was against Norwich at Sellout Park and after a very tight game, it looked like we were going out, but a (very) late Colin Walsh equaliser took it to ET and we scraped home in that with another goal. Attendance was just over 5k and that included quite a few Canaries supporters.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2014
    The one leg semi final against Norwich was very cold.
    They scored in the last minute and we equalised in injury time and won it in extra time.

In the final the team were thoroughly outplayed by our lower division opponents.

Got a coach from Bexleyheath to Wembley.
    no book was produced with that name!!!
  • CAFCTrev said:

Im 30 now, and was living in essex in 98 so Ive never seen Charlton at Wembley. Id love to see us play there, even in a JPT final

Be careful what you wish for :)

• 10,000 was pushing it.
  • Awful game. Was glad when Blackburn scored so we didn't have to endure extra time!
  • Awful game. Was glad when Blackburn scored so we didn't have to endure extra time!

This
  • My mate booked a coach and we arrived at Wembley at midday at a pub which he had chosen. When we arrived the whole area around the pub seemed it like it had the whole of Blackburn surrounding it. A lady said to the driver you cannot drop us off here, these northern people will eat us.Yes she really said that!
    To bad, off you all get. I am sure we were the first Charlton coach to arrive so I did a silent prayer and marched boldly into the boozer to a large round of booing.
    To be fair the Rovers supporters were fine.
    Some of my mates were not so lucky as their coach was ambushed on the way in and there were a few cracked heads.
  • CAFCTrev said:

Im 30 now, and was living in essex in 98 so Ive never seen Charlton at Wembley. Id love to see us play there, even in a JPT final

Wembley is a mission from Essex.
  • Everton was 6-5 on penalties. Got that tape somewhere, but never seen the highlight (s) of the final. I was 8, and I remember the journey there, watching the coaches turn up, walking up the steps....I remember asking dad if hendry's goal was going to count... And I remember a fan shouting "enjoy your tinpot Mickey Mouse cup!" to the Rovers fans as we walked back down wembley way.

There was a picture of Hendry kissing the cup on Shoot magazine, and I genuinely hated him and Blackburn for a good ten years after. I finally got over it when they got relegated in 1999 or so.
  • redcarter said:

CAFCTrev said:

Wembley is a mission from Essex.
    Frinton-on-sea to be exact. One train every week.
  • Final was crap ... not helped by the fact that we did not score and were out-numbered by Blackburn fans ... not a great day to be honest. Only saving grace is that I was far from sober so don't rememeber too much of the game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ralph Milne had our only chance of the game at the far end. Hit it against the keeper's legs. Bolder collided with Humphrey coming out for a cross and the ball fell for Hendry (who was a centre-forward in those days).
  • I was there. It was a bloody awful game and terrible outcome. That's why it doesn't get mentioned very often.
  • I was there. It was a bloody awful game and terrible outcome. That's why it doesn't get mentioned very often.

Ditto
  • I was there but pretty pissed and have no particular memories of the day at all.
  • I spoke to John Humphrey about the semi final against Norwich at sellout back in the summer at Dartford FC, only 2-3k there I believe, remember how mental we went when Walshy scored.
  • I seem to recall it being a game we expected to win, especially 40 years on from the fa cup win. It was a boring game from memory though. I'm sure there was there standing at Wembley then.
  • It was the second birthday of one of my daughters. We had arranged a family party long before Charlton got to Wembley so I was otherwise engaged.

Ditto
    And again. Remember the semi quite clearly, but not much of the final. Only good thing was ticking off the 'I've seen Charlton play at Wembley' box for me and my Dad as he'd always been bitter that my Grandad hadn't taken him in '47 (he was only 4). Eleven years later and that memory was firmly overwitten...
  • Nightmare...one of the most disappointing anticlimax days in 53 yrs of watching Charlton !
  • Went to every round that year. Great day out but a shyte game. Absolutely gutted when they scored, was desperate to see us win something for once.