Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

1987 Full Members Cup Final

13»

Comments

• Options

My wife at the time hated football, even though she had never been to a game. I had said to her that I failed to understand how you can criticise something if you've never seen it. She said if Charlton ever got to Wembley she would go with me. She had obviously never heard of the Full Members Cup! Imagine her face when I told her we would be palying at Wembley. To be fair, she did go along, hated every minute and to my knowledge has never been to a game since.

The total crowd was 40,000 - not sure if anyone has already said that - the vast majority from oop north.

I think Blackburn brought 28,000. It's not a huge town and the joke at the Charlton end was that the housebreakers in Blackburn were having a field day. Dismal game. Got well bladdered afterwards.

• Options
    dreadful game, my main memory was pre match, about 11.00 I think walking across Trafalgar Square with a tidy if small firm (I use the term loosely with our lot, never really our game, we just liked a good piss up most of the time), when a few Blackburn came marching in from the far corner of the square, then a few more and a few more, next thing we know there were about 40 of us facing 2-300 of their boys. Luckily for us OB were on hand a bit sharpish and we declined their offer of them turning a blind eye if we fancied a ruck with the northern monkeys.
  • Options

dreadful game, my main memory was pre match, about 11.00 I think walking across Trafalgar Square with a tidy if small firm (I use the term loosely with our lot, never really our game, we just liked a good piss up most of the time), when a few Blackburn came marching in from the far corner of the square, then a few more and a few more, next thing we know there were about 40 of us facing 2-300 of their boys. Luckily for us OB were on hand a bit sharpish and we declined their offer of them turning a blind eye if we fancied a ruck with the northern monkeys.

I remember that mate, a few of us, including our schoolboy friend in Thailand were willing to front it out, but very happy the OB got in between tbh.

• Options
    Riviera said:

LenGlover said:

It was the second birthday of one of my daughters. We had arranged a family party long before Charlton got to Wembley so I was otherwise engaged.

Len she was two. She'd never had known if you had delayed the party. By the way, was it the daughter who peed you off over Christams/New Year?
    Not that simple as people living abroad were in the country etc etc hence had to be then.

Yes, coincidentally, it was her.
  • Options

I was there. It was a bloody awful game and terrible outcome. That's why it doesn't get mentioned very often.

Ditto
    Ditto