Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

1987 Full Members Cup Final

Comments

• Options
    I still have the Full Members Cup hat I bought at that game! Agree with aboves posts, game total dross.
  • Options
    Several years ago I taught Jim Melrose's kids. They knew I was a Charlton fan. At the parents evening that year Jim walked into my classroom carrying his Fulll Members Cup final shirt to show me. The ten minute interview consisted of Jim telling me anecdotes about his time at Charlton. The son hardly got a mention!
  • Options
    I was there, I even persuaded a Gooner mate to come along ( well I persuaded him by buying his ticket ) told it him it would be a great day out........I had already been supporting CAFC for 20 years by then, I really really should have known better ? complete and utter slops!
  • Options
    Didn't Ralph Milne "play" for us that day? It was around that time - are you quite sure he wasn't our "right-winger" at Wembley?
  • Options
    My Brother In Law paid for me to go for my birthday. It was the worst game of football that i can remember and by the 80th minute I had a searing headache. I was so relieved when Hendry scored and we did not have to sit through a further 30 minutes of extra time. One for the dustbin I am afraid.
  • Options
    final was awful and Wembley was falling apart.

• Options
    Remember wondering why Curbs wasn't in the team and found out the next week that he'd been dropped by Lennie and they'd had a big bust up. Although Curbs went to Wembley he walked out before the kick off and went home. It all eventually led to him signing for Brighton, I think.

Yes it was an awful game but I remember telling JiMMY 85 0n the way home that at least he hadn't had to watt 40 years to see us there like what some of us had, even if we hadn't played well.
  • Options
    Yes Ralph Milne was there, I will not say played, because I do not remember him doing much. It was nice for Blackburn to score the only goal in front of us, as you could not see what was happening at the other end.
  • Options
    Yep, twas pooh but, for some reason, I still have the rosette I bought that day. Nostalgia I suppose.
  • Options
    Great family day out that
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Great family day out that

Same here mate. Had my Dad, Grandad (who went in 47) and uncle with us.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

I was there but pretty pissed and have no particular memories of the day at all.

Exactly this apart from Bleakburn supporter in enormous flat cap standing on table in pub telling us how to make tripe and onions.

• Options
    LenGlover said:

It was the second birthday of one of my daughters. We had arranged a family party long before Charlton got to Wembley so I was otherwise engaged.

Len she was two. She'd never had known if you had delayed the party. By the way, was it the daughter who peed you off over Christams/New Year?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I do like threads like this, ones that have been done time and again. I like to look up old threads and check everyone's story remains consistent.
    So beware if you said 6 years ago that you weren't there and now say you were; because I'll expose you!
  • Options
    I have two abiding memories. The first was that although it was great to see us at Wembley it was on false pretences because ot was a mickey mouse competition.

The second was before the game some bald nutcase with the Charlton badge tattooed on his head charged at my brother like a bull. It turned out to be his ex schoolmate who had lost his hair through radiotherapy and had painted his head for the day.
  • Options
    Coach from the Guy Earl Of Warwick in Welling. Had a driver who come round the north circular to Wembley. By the time we arrived we had enough bricks to build a wall and glasses and bottles in the coach to open a pub. We had a stand up row across 3 lanes of traffic on the north circular, and arrived with no windows and covered in claret. Then the coach fucked off an left us, an we lost ! That's why we don,t remember it, it was a shit day out.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Riviera said:

I do like threads like this, ones that have been done time and again. I like to look up old threads and check everyone's story remains consistent.
    So beware if you said 6 years ago that you weren't there and now say you were; because I'll expose you!

Slow night ?
  • Options

Riviera said:

Slow night ?
    Please Beds, you of all people should know not to take me seriously.
    Why are you not at the Pictures? You must go 8 times a week at least.....
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Slow night ?
    Please Beds, you of all people should know not to take me seriously.
    Why are you not at the Pictures? You must go 8 times a week at least.....
    I am
  • Options
    I was playing for London boys then . I was 15 .We had the bexley cup 1/4 finals . We were told by our manager bill Roberts in no uncertain terms . Turn up for the game or never come back . I sadly missed Charlton at wembley .
    It made the play off final even better for me then :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Memorable for me as I said on the old thread as I went AWOL from my regiment in Germany for the weekend just to see my team at Wembley, was it worth it? Probably not, would I do it again? Yes
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Very cramped me and my two brothers had to share a whole upper section of the ground, less than 300 seats each, it all kicked off in the second half, when one wouldn't sit down in front!.

Cant remember anything about the game just that Hendry scored.
  • Options

CAFCTrev said:

Im 30 now, and was living in essex in 98 so Ive never seen Charlton at Wembley. Id love to see us play there, even in a JPT final

Be careful what you wish for :)

Was thinking the same thing. Must get that on the mottos thread.
  • Options
    I remember a newspaper giving a load of tickets away for the game, it may have been Maxwells short lived rival to the Evening Standard, cant remember its name.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I had the option to be on that coach; however, I went on another one. I used to go to games with Mark Wheeler and I know he was on that one. Stupid me for not posting correctly. Apologies.
  • Options
    Spent the night kipping in the area between Charing X and Charing X tube station after a night at the Hippodrome. Crap match and around 15,000 Charlton tops.
  • Options
    Spent the night kipping in the area between Charing X and Charing X tube station after a night at the Hippodrome. Crap match and around 15,000 Charlton tops.
  • Options
    pettgra said:

I had the option to be on that coach; however, I went on another one. I used to go to games with Mark Wheeler and I know he was on that one. Stupid me for not posting correctly. Apologies.

I'm sure Mark still goes.
  • Options
    considerably outnumbered by blackburn at Wembley and that was when they were as mingey a club as thy have ever been..... i mean do they all live in London
  • Options
    My wife at the time hated football, even though she had never been to a game. I had said to her that I failed to understand how you can criticise something if you've never seen it. She said if Charlton ever got to Wembley she would go with me. She had obviously never heard of the Full Members Cup! Imagine her face when I told her we would be palying at Wembley. To be fair, she did go along, hated every minute and to my knowledge has never been to a game since.

The total crowd was 40,000 - not sure if anyone has already said that - the vast majority from oop north.