Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wigan v Charlton (Battle of the Athletics) | Sat 1st Feb 2014 | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    5-2 to wigan- mark my words
  • Options
    It's a good job I'm only going for the beer tomorrow
  • Options
    Changing my prediction from 1-0 win to 4-0 defeat.
  • Options
    Would be typical Charlton to pull out a 2-0 win after all the drama this week.
  • Options
    I don't imagine this will happen for a second but will love to read people's opinions if we won 2-0 or 3-0 ! Football is such an emotional game but let's forget the knee jerk responses and see how Saturday pans out. Like everyone else I feel gutted that Yann has gone and Stephens was beginning to play like the way we know he can play, but was inconsistent. However, having had a lunchtime drink and reflecting I think we we need to keep a sense of perspective on these players. The reason it seems like such a loss is because we had very little quality running through the side. I personally know nothing about the new players coming in but if the overall effect is to raise the standard, then I will applaud the decisions. Sometimes you need to sit back & just see what unfolds. We can't judge until we know what we have.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Barring any further late changes in personnel...

Thuram-Ulien
    Nego
    Wood
    Morrison
    Wiggins
    Green
    Cousins
    Poyet
    Adjarevic
    Parzyszek
    Ghoochenajhad

Subs: Phillips, Lennon, Hughes, Dervite, Harriott, Sordell, Church.

Dervite on at right back for Nego , Hughes on for Astrit, and Church for Reza when they get knackered (around the 55 minute mark). Three nil down at that point, and concede another couple late on to make it a very, very, miserable week!
  • Options
    4-0 Wigan. Having sold our best midfielder and striker and no time for any new players to gel , anything less is a bonus.
  • Options
    3-0 charlton as charlton begin their sunderland type run to promotion as rd pulls off a materstroke and transforms the club amongst supporter unrest
  • Options
    At least Wigan's defensive plans are out the window; they, like us won't have any clue what will happen up front. If our defence performs and the mid-field gets some possession, who knows? Pleny of goals! but which end?
  • Options
    Nick Powell a doubt for Wigan according to Skysports' preview.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:

4-3 win to the Addicks, with the few hundred people who make the trip able to gloat in the do-you-remember-Wigan-away? reminiscences for time immemorial.

Kermorgant hat-trick, Koc

o.g., o.g., o.g., Koc

• Options

Morale with who's left in the squad will be at an all time low. We've just sold the spine of the team in the past 24 hours. I'd love it if one of the new guys becomes a hero or failing that a JJ winner in the last minute.

Morale will be high, we've made a statement this window with our signings.
  • Options
    I wonder how Wigan will cope with getting our squad right for the programme, must be worth buying for its uniqueness.
  • Options
    could be make or break .. I'll go for make: Wigan Athletic 2 v CAFC 2 .. it aint the size of the dog in the fight .. it's the size of the fight in the dog .. Chinese proverb (if it's not, it fecking well should be)
  • Options
    no idea what team we'll have out b t w
  • Options

no idea what team we'll have out b t w

All we know is it will be a bloody good scrabble score...

I still think we'll get tonked but have revised the score to 3-1 (from 4-0).
  • Options
    This is without doubt a similar feel to Powells first summer here with all those signings. Obviously fewer this time but hey I'm an optimist and this new team has a better feel to it with potentially very good strikers (something we have not had for a very long time) I just hope astrid and Jordan can step up and replace stephens who we have to remember blew hot and cold. I really wish I was going tomorrow just to see how these guys settle in. I think tomorrow is about the performance more than the result as Wigan are obvious favourites but wouldn't it be great if we went a got a win.
  • Options
    I hope our new signings will immediately fit in and play brilliantly, training would have had to be outstandingly brilliant for that to happen though and we will win 3-0 in my dreams!

Probably having lost Alnwick we will let in a few and everyone else will be unused to each other and all over the place, Wigan will be competing with Doncaster as to who could put more past us 3/4 - 0 to Wigan (I pray I'm wrong)
  • Options
    I think that CP will start with PP and Churchy up front, with Gucci on the bench.

Would love a positive result and this is Charlton, whoever is wearing the shirt, so you never quite know.
  • Options
    All this morale will be low is nonsense I think I loved Gann but he has gone and that's it the squad was tired and now we have some new blood in amongst it. I am sure we will strengthen the midfield if not by tomorrow when the loan window reopens next week.

Regardless of what happens tomorrow I am more confident than I was last week
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    not a clue what the score will be or who will win....match thread from 2 pm
  • Options
    I'd go 3-5-2, with Morrison, Wood, Dervite at the back, Nego and Wiggins as wing-backs. Probably PP and Chruch as starters up front, with Gucci on the bench.
  • Options

I'd go 3-5-2, with Morrison, Wood, Dervite at the back, Nego and Wiggins as wing-backs. Probably PP and Chruch as starters up front, with Gucci on the bench.

At Doncaster, Chris Powell didn't even go 3-5-2 in a team with 3 centre halves and 2 natural wing backs.

• Options
    Still too early to make predictions for this one - window doesn't close until 23:00!
  • Options
    The most important question is, which one of us will be referred to as The Latics in the national press' match reports?

Greg, I don't envy your task of match previews over the coming weeks!
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

At Doncaster, Chris Powell didn't even go 3-5-2 in a team with 3 centre halves and 2 natural wing backs.

I know! Not likely to happen, just what I'd like to see.
  • Options

not a clue what the score will be or who will win....match thread from 2 pm

In advance you are fogiven for any typo's. Be interesting if you are going to use just initals or what you shorten the names to. Best of Luck.

• Options
    I'm looking forward to this journey of discovery. Who will we have in the squad, who will be playing, how good are the new ones, how quickly will it all gel? Whatever happens, I'm glad to be going to Wigan to see the Charlton renaissance for myself. Optimistically, I'll go for 2-1 to us. You have to journey in hope. Even so, I am reminded of T S Eliot's grim words:

Were we led all that way for
    Birth or Death? There was a birth, certainly,
    We had evidence and no doubt. I had seen birth and death,
    But had thought they were different; this Birth was
    Hard and bitter agony for us, like death, our death.
  • Options
    only 3 hours of the transfer window left,we could still get Simeon Jackson
  • Options
    I am currently in the area visiting my son.

Are away tickets available on the day from the ground does anyone know?