Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

No All male panels on BBC

Panel shows such as QI and Mock the Week will no longer have all-male line-ups, the BBC's director of TV has said.

"We're not going to have panel shows on any more with no women on them," Danny Cohen told the Observer. "You can't do that. It's not acceptable."

His comments come two months after the BBC Trust was reported to have told executives there was "no excuse" for not having more female panellists.

Mr Cohen also said the BBC needed to get more older women on screen.

"We're getting better," he told the Observer, citing the example of historian Mary Beard. "But we need to get better."

In the past, comedy panel shows like QI, Mock the Week and Have I Got News For You have been criticised for their male-dominated line-ups.

The Observer said all the regular comedians on the most recent series of Mock the Week were men and only five of the 38 guest panellists were women.

Comments

• Options
    its about making the funniest show, and if there are two people available it should be who is the funniest and will make the show better regardless of whether they are male or female

it should be the same with all types of work
  • Options
    Seems fair. Panel shows are usually better with a wide range of comedians, not just the same old people appearing on every show.

Imagine i'll be wrong though and they'll just have Jo Brand on everything.
  • Options
    What next, all female panels on the likes of MotD?

You gotta love the bbc when they do this sort of thing. Like their coverage of women's football. Absolutely pointless.

• Options

Probably not the right thing to say but i can't think of any really funny female comediens.

the only ones i dont mind are the two that host great british bake off, sue and mel
  • Options
    Off_it said:

What next, all female panels on the likes of MotD?

You gotta love the bbc when they do this sort of thing. Like their coverage of women's football. Absolutely pointless.

and to really get in the spirit, Julian Clary on the 6 nations.
  • Options
    1. Panels should always be made up of the best, most interesting, funniest, wittiest, thought-provoking guests that are available and affordable. No matter whether they are male or female.

2. Panels that are exclusively male tend not to be the best, most interesting, funniest, wittiest, thought-provoking panels.
  • Options
    I am all for women being included, but on merit. So often I watch a BBC comedy show and see people kind of laughing out of sympathy with so many female comedians.

The only funny female comedian on TV is Katie Hopkins.
  • Options
    Oh no! Not more bloody Jenny Eclair and Sarah Minginhan.....
  • Options
    Im not into this kind of thing, I see it a lot with Art shows too... although it seems to go a bit further and have all female lineups which to me is completely contradictory. The only thng that should matter is that you are good enough to do the job.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's policies like this that led us to have to put up with Kevin Peitersen!
  • Options
    Mildly interesting I suppose that there's no mention of correcting the left-wing bias often to the fore on BBC shows such as QI and MTW.
    And no surprise that the BBC's director of TV (salary £327,800 and £57,800 more than his predecessor) choose a left-wing newspaper to espouse his views.
    Still as BBC1 Controller before his promotion, he was responsible for bringing us that most fantastic of game shows "Don't Scare The Hare" - so I suppose he knows what his audience wants and that gender equality in a show will be much more admired than actual content and entertainment. (Sorry don't know what the correct smiley is to indicate sarcasm.)
  • Options
    Too many left wingers on QI and MTW? Name me some funny Right Wing comedians? Bernard Manning? Anelka's mate?
  • Options
    As long as these women have huge tits who cares?
  • Options
    Guess he wants Roy Chubby Brown showing his wit and intelligence against Stephen Fry and the like.
  • Options
    Doesn't really matter who is own these shows as they are all scripted by Danny Baker.

That's why they are not funny.
  • Options
    The BBC is damned if it does and damned if it doesn't. If it keeps the status quo it will be accused of male bias; if it makes moves to have women panellists on all shows it will be accused of baulking on its remit to entertain. The sad truth of the matter is, that there is dearth of female talent in the comedy business. The last great comedienne that I can think of is Linda Smith. Sandi Toksvig, Jo Caulfield and Victoria Coren are all ok, but they are not funny enough to warrant any more tv appearances. Whilst some of those that get by in this business like Miranda Hart and Gina Yashere should never be seen again.
  • Options

Poetic. Now head on back to the 1950s with toss like that.
  • Options

Would prefer if they didn't release this kinda stuff publicly. Just put more women on panel shows without the fanfare of 'Look at how progressive we are!'

It just makes the women seem like token panel members only there because they have to be, even if they're deserving.

But most the time they are. Don't tell me you think people like Sarah Milican and Miranda Hart are there on merit...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Good lord!

What is wrong with everyone today?

If Alan Davies had said that everyone would be marvelling at his wonderful ironic comedy.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Pure CL...

;0)
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Would prefer if they didn't release this kinda stuff publicly. Just put more women on panel shows without the fanfare of 'Look at how progressive we are!'

It just makes the women seem like token panel members only there because they have to be, even if they're deserving.

But most the time they are. Don't tell me you think people like Sarah Milican and Miranda Hart are there on merit...
    Miranda makes more money than most of the men, which is kinda the aim of a comedian.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

PaddyP17 said:

Good lord!

What is wrong with everyone today?

If Alan Davies had said that everyone would be marvelling at his wonderful ironic comedy.
    Only if it was scripted by Danny Baker.
  • Options

Huskaris said:

Miranda makes more money than most of the men, which is kinda the aim of a comedian.
    Ok she makes more money but that's because shes the benefactor of positive discrimination. I would be a multi millionaire comedian if I was a black transgender lesbian...
  • Options

Huskaris said:

And there I was thinking it was to make people laugh.
  • Options

Huskaris said:

Really? I thought it was to make us laugh? Silly me.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Huskaris said:

Really? I thought it was to make us laugh? Silly me.
    Stig said:

Huskaris said:

And there I was thinking it was to make people laugh.
    Strange that people would go to see her and watch all her shows if she wasn't entertaining in any way.

She doesn't appeal to you, doesn't mean she's 'bad' or 'talentless'.
  • Options
    When did I say that Miranda did't make me laugh? If you are going to quote me please keep it in context.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

When did I say that Miranda did't make me laugh? If you are going to quote me please keep it in context.

Apolgies, lumped you and Stig in with Huskaris when you didn't say anything like that.