Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

No All male panels on BBC

13»

Comments

• Options

OK fellas, time for the Neanderthal chauvinists to rip Sandi Toksvig apart. I've got bored with the Miranda stuff............................

She's very good. Also, Kirsty Young and Victoria Coren are normally pretty good value onHIGNFY.

However, the likes of Jo Brand and Sarah Millican always seem to want to go on about eating cakes. I thought that sort of thing had been done to death, but still they get a gig.

• Options
    I like Sandi Toksvig, but her material isn't her own. It's written by Andy Wolton and Ben Partridge.
  • Options
    So how many comedians actually write their own material?
  • Options
    This decision could mean a resurgence in the career of Gina Yashere. Her depths of unfunniness make Miranda look like a cross between Woody.Allen, Monty Python and Bill Hicks.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Huskaris said:

Huskaris said:

Would prefer if they didn't release this kinda stuff publicly. Just put more women on panel shows without the fanfare of 'Look at how progressive we are!'

It just makes the women seem like token panel members only there because they have to be, even if they're deserving.

But most the time they are. Don't tell me you think people like Sarah Milican and Miranda Hart are there on merit...
    Miranda makes more money than most of the men, which is kinda the aim of a comedian.
    Ok she makes more money but that's because shes the benefactor of positive discrimination. I would be a multi millionaire comedian if I was a black transgender lesbian...
    She's the benefactor of positive discrimination? So she financially contributes to the very thing you're alleging she benefits from?

If you're going to use words that you think highlight your specious arguments, at least use them in the correct context.
    Oops, my mistake! Been reading a lot of Roman stuff lately and clearly misinterpreted what a "benefactor" was!

But I stand by my point. If Miranda Hart was a man she wouldn't have ever been heard of.
    And yet we've all heard of Phil Jupitus.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Surely the BBC would chase the ratings.
    So they should put the panel on that makes most people happy.
    Male, female, Emu, Mr Blobby whoever makes most people laugh.
    Why impose an artificial restriction?
    I just don't get it.

Restriction? Women are 50% of the population. Maybe they're chasing ratings by encouraging them to watch.
    In which case they would already be there on merit, wouldn't they?
    No quota would be necessary, and if such a quota is imposed, then the final product will not be as popular as it would have been without it.
    Just a thought.
    From Marcus Brigstocke:

"No more all male panel shows" says BBC. Speaking as sort of 'a man' I should like to remind people we don't book ourselves to go on telly.
    There's loads of very funny female comics. It's not who's on the panel so much as it is the agenda & attitude of producers assembling them.

I.e. If you have an all-male set of producers picking talent to go on tv, it's going to be biased towards male comics. Look at the amount of people on this post saying how they don't find Miranda funny. Yet she has more fans than most male comics.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Monty Python? Those were the days, TW3, Spitting Image, where's the satire these days? TBH I am also bored with not only periods and food but rampant 3" dicks and impotence along with anal, manic, pacing self obsessed egos. But that's probably because us wimmin are either dykes or have no SOH.
  • Options
    Loose Women will now be Loose Women ---and men--and animals--and fruit and veg
  • Options

I just don't get it.

Restriction? Women are 50% of the population. Maybe they're chasing ratings by encouraging them to watch.
    No quota would be necessary, and if such a quota is imposed, then the final product will not be as popular as it would have been without it.
    Just a thought.
    From Marcus Brigstocke:

"No more all male panel shows" says BBC. Speaking as sort of 'a man' I should like to remind people we don't book ourselves to go on telly.
    There's loads of very funny female comics. It's not who's on the panel so much as it is the agenda & attitude of producers assembling them.

I.e. If you have an all-male set of producers picking talent to go on tv, it's going to be biased towards male comics. Look at the amount of people on this post saying how they don't find Miranda funny. Yet she has more fans than most male comics.
    I think we are agreeing SELR!
    As Miranda has millions of fans, that's why she goes on every show around. There are a few other females who are very popular and we see plenty of them too. After that, popular female comics are somewhat scarce.
    Having a quota wont make the ones we don't currently see funnier, though it may make them more popular, I suppose.

Does anyone know the proportions of male/female producers at the BBC?
    Maybe that this the problem and a better route to follow than a type of 'tokenism'
  • Options
    Up The Creek would suffer if it wasn't allowed all male line - ups!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

So how many comedians actually write their own material?

Two: Will Hay and Harry Relph.

Seriously, I think in this day and age most get help, particularly for formatted panel shows. But Toksvig is renowned for not writing her own material even on her own show. I still like her though.
  • Options

I just don't get it.

Just a thought.
    From Marcus Brigstocke:

I think we are agreeing SELR!
    As Miranda has millions of fans, that's why she goes on every show around. There are a few other females who are very popular and we see plenty of them too. After that, popular female comics are somewhat scarce.
    Having a quota wont make the ones we don't currently see funnier, though it may make them more popular, I suppose.

Does anyone know the proportions of male/female producers at the BBC?
    Maybe that this the problem and a better route to follow than a type of 'tokenism'
    I do agree with you. But producers also do a lot of talent spotting on the live circuits for tv shows. So it impacts a woman's ability to be famous and successful if male producers are the ones vetting whether they're good enough to go on tv or not.

Some women get through, but it seems a much larger amount of men come up. For example BBC Three is usually full of young comedians, with a very large percentage male.

I think the BBC are choosing tokenism because it's seen as the 'easy' option over a complete change-around of their backroom staff.
  • Options
    wow people like Toksvig on Charlton Life ---what a surprise.
  • Options

I can lend you some petrol if you've ran out. Can't stand her.

• Options

Sorry, I don't get what you mean.

Or are you insinuating I'm a "leftie" because I happen to think she's pretty witty and I usually enjoy her input on these shows?
  • Options
    Nope I give up. As soon as this thread started, 5 hours ago now I started trying to think of a funny women comedian.
  • Options

I just don't get it.

Just a thought.
    Nobody, at any point, has said that women will be on panel shows purely because of their gender. I don't entirely understand why so many took the quotes this way. The implication is that the reverse is the current norm; women are not appearing as much as their talents demand. CL's overall taste/ chauvinism notwithstanding.

• Options
    Is there a place on tv for comedy / quiz shows with male only panels intended for a male audience? Or do women have to be included in everything? Serious question.
  • Options

Is there a place on tv for comedy / quiz shows with male only panels intended for a male audience? Or do women have to be included in everything? Serious question.

I guess you could argue that there isn't any for women either. Loose women hardly is a comedy/quiz show.

In terms of panels, i'd say 99% of male sport broadcasts have male panels.
  • Options

I guess you could argue that there isn't any for women either. Loose women hardly is a comedy/quiz show.

In terms of panels, i'd say 99% of male sport broadcasts have male panels.
    Well sky sports news always have a female anchor, they just all happen to have huge tits.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I just don't get it.

Men are the other 50% but I wouldn't want one cleaning my kitchen just to satisfy some weird pc quota
  • Options
    I wonder what ITV will do with Loose Women. They'll probably get some effeminate brickies or plumbers to sit in.
  • Options
    If you want to know who the writers are, look for the credit 'Programme Associates' at the end, that's who is doing the writing. And Danny Baker, who has someone above said does plenty of backroom writing on things like Question of Sport.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

And Danny Baker, who has someone above said does plenty of backroom writing on things like Question of Sport.

Which s why they are crap.
  • Options
    To me Miranda Hart is an actor in a sit com rather than a comedienne.

You wouldnt book David Jason for a comedy panel show because he could act funny in a sit com so why book Miranda Hart?