Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Manchester City v Barcelona

124»

Comments

• Options
    According to that, we don't need any wingers at all. We just need decent full backs.
  • Options
    dizzee said:

dizzee said:

smiffyboy said:

While were talking about shite, Milner played a full game against Chelsea Saturday so I suppose that is enough for Hodgson to start him at the World Cup

Agreed. How can people say Milner, Lescott and that lot are any good when you watch a game like this and see complete class. The only English player who deserves to be on the field is Joe Hart, and he's a goalkeeper. The last time I checked a Goalkeeper can't compete against a team at the World Cup.
    Milner is suspended, otherwise he would be playing. He's one of City's most effective players, especially in the big games.
    Silva, Aguero, Yaya, Nagredo, Kompany... Milner? Really? I don't think so mate.
    Matter of opinion of course.
    Didn't claim he was the most talented in the team, but he is extremely effective and consistent. Doesn't get fazed in the big games either.
    Would be in my world cup squad.

• Options
    Just for a moment after watching a game like that with next to no hoofball I wonder why I don't "support" a big club.

Then I realise I'd never be able to watch them.
  • Options

Come on Citeh, Barca bore the pants off me.

Glad I'm not the only one. They play some beautifully intricate stuff but after some time I just feel that they need to press forward more. Otherwise it's like watching chess.
  • Options
    It is effective, but they need two or three great players - they current have the best player in the world which helps paper over the cracks a bit. City were playing them well until the goal but they needed to be up to their usual sharp levels in front of goal which they were not. I can't see Barca as stand out winners of the CL. I think City missed Aguerro big time!

The problem for City was that 2nd goal. Means they might have to be too open in the 2nd leg! That plays to Barca's strengths!
  • Options
    Breaking News: Barcelona are set to appeal against Martín Demichelis' red card, as they hope to see him back for the 2nd leg.
  • Options
    Just watched the highlights. The foul for the penalty is definitely outside the area and that is a foul on Navas in the build up. City were by far the better team before the sending off. Having said all of that, starting Demechillis against Messi is asking for trouble.

Dodgy referee as always when it's Barcelona. Funny how he blew up every time City got remotely close to their goal. Not a single foul on Valdes but he finds one every time.

• Options
    PL54 said:

According to that, we don't need any wingers at all. We just need decent full backs.

Solly and Wiggins!
  • Options
    City just need to sign a world class centre back and Ibrahimovic up front and they will be in the same class as Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Real Madrid.
  • Options

PL54 said:

Solly and Wiggins!
    ....who play......
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PL54 said:

PL54 said:

Solly and Wiggins!
    ....who play......
    ...when fit...
  • Options
    PL54 said:

PL54 said:

Solly and Wiggins!
    ....who play......
    ......scrabble.......
  • Options
    pretty even up until the send off, then t was Barca's game. City aren't in their class as yet. Still, another leg......you never know
  • Options
    I'm being cynical here but why, having made the choice to get sent off for fouling Messi, didn't he do a proper job and put him in hospital?
    Oh, how I pine for 1970s football rather than that boring girlie tic tac crap. Rant over, goes off to watch Leeds 7 Southampton 0 from 1971/2 on Youtube - to remind myself of where Barca got the idea from! :-)
  • Options
    Tyldesley and Townsend spoilt it for me
  • Options
    If city played with the determination they showed after Demicheles was sent off i believe it couldve been a completely different game. The tie is over now IMO, barcelona will just hold possession in the 2nd leg.
  • Options

city disappointed me in the 1st 1/2 .. if they'd shown as much aggression and commitment as they've shown after the sending off, they could have won this .. the referee hasn't helped (Barca always get away with more then the oppo) but City have shown Barca too much respect

Revise this: City disappointed right from the outset .. two left backs (copying Powell's Doncaster tactics ?), no Djeko, strange choice at central defence, Touré playing too deep and not venturing over the half way line .. all this at home in a game where victory was pretty much essential .. Pelligrini has gone from master to muppet in a very short time .. Pardew's effing and cccing outburst at him and Mourinho's sniping have perhaps made him try to be more aggressive and assertive for the media .. it's not working and neither is his seemingly reversal of tactics from attack attack attack to timid defence.
    On the other hand Barca did get away with a lot ... they always do .. cynical body checks, trips, finger and arm waving were mostly ignored by the (very weak) referee .. any other set of players would have suffered far more bookings and conceded more free kicks .. Barca whilst retaining their pitter patter ball stroking abilities has developed a harder, more cynical edge, reminiscent of Italian teams of the 60s-80s .. they are getting away with it .. I suspect though that Bayern or possibly PSG will find them out .. two other teams where skill and cynicism are perfectly matched and balanced.
  • Options

pretty even up until the send off, then t was Barca's game. City aren't in their class as yet. Still, another leg......you never know

Didn't see any of the game, but this has confused me MAT (easily done). To me "pretty even" means the teams were matching each other, so surely City were in their class until down to ten men?
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

I'm being cynical here but why, having made the choice to get sent off for fouling Messi, didn't he do a proper job and put him in hospital?
    Oh, how I pine for 1970s football rather than that boring girlie tic tac crap. Rant over, goes off to watch Leeds 7 Southampton 0 from 1971/2 on Youtube - to remind myself of where Barca got the idea from! :-)

I suspect it wouldn't go down too well if he put his compatriot and Argentina's best player out of the world cup. Might have been better to mark him more tightly in the first place- I don't think it was that great a thing when lesser players could assualt more skillful ones above all else though.