Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Johnnie Jackson - Talksport

Comments

• Options

This is laughable, how Jackson can even mention winning the cup is beyond me. He wants to knuckle down and crack some heads as skipper and get the team playing for points to stay up.

FFS…please tell me this is tongue in cheek, if you actually listened to the show.
  • Options
    If you actually listened to the interview they said to him "If we could guarantee that you could win the FA cup, but you'd also get relegated, would you be happy with that" He agreed but said that he was in the minority amongst the squad.
  • Options
    JJ is always a good interview. Doesn't use the same old cliches and is a great communicator, very confident.

Could actually see him having some potential of going down the managerial route one day. Not sure if that is his intention or is he has done badges yet though.

Always makes me proud when I hear a player say that Charlton has been the highlight of their career.
  • Options
    GD78 said:

If you actually listened to the interview they said to him "If we could guarantee that you could win the FA cup, but you'd also get relegated, would you be happy with that" He agreed but said that he was in the minority amongst the squad.

I did "actually" listen GD78 so thank you for your concern regarding my hearing and the volume button on my radio. And you have just confirmed that the skipper has said he would take winning the cup along with being relegated.
  • Options
    But also many on here was asked the same and its a question which states 'if you could win the fa cup but get relegated, would you take it'.

Im sure the majority on here went with the fa cup so what's wrong with answering the same question.
  • Options
    He also said he is equally committed to both, which is exactly what you want to hear from any player.
  • Options

But also many on here was asked the same and its a question which states 'if you could win the fa cup but get relegated, would you take it'.

Im sure the majority on here went with the fa cup so what's wrong with answering the same question.

We've gone down, we've come up again, we've played in the top division within the last 10 years... but there are very few fans about who were even alive when we last won the FA cup, who knows when the next time will be? The question was phrased in a way that winning the cup was GUARANTEED, that is a different prospect to 'which would you prefer/putting more effort into?'
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i think jj wants to leave a legacy, so by doing well in the cup, people will remmeber him like a hero. we won't win it but getting to wembley and staying up by the skin of our teeth and losing in the semis is how i think the season will pan out. if it is then i iwll take that over finishing 9th but losing 1-0 to huddersfield in the fa cup. maybe, just maybe this will change the attitude for a while of how we view the cup.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    It is quite amusing how personally some take criticisms on here....

For the record, I have no beef with JJ saying he'd take relegation for the Cup, I'd even go as far as saying losing in the final. That would be most likely a once in a lifetime experience and doubtless we'd end up in Europe, if only for one round ! The one snag is I'm booked on a Stag week in Munich for the Cup Final weekend ?

Don't anybody dare criticise this post, or else !!
  • Options

This is laughable, how Jackson can even mention winning the cup is beyond me. He wants to knuckle down and crack some heads as skipper and get the team playing for points to stay up.

If asked a question should he just say no comment? Of course he should mention the cup.
  • Options
    I would have thought the answer would have been something along the lines of "No, the cup is a nice distraction but as skipper my priority is to motivate the lads, pick up some points and avoid relegation"
  • Options
    So you wanted him to bullshit and not answer honestly?
  • Options
    edited February 2014

I would have thought the answer would have been something along the lines of "No, the cup is a nice distraction but as skipper my priority is to motivate the lads, pick up some points and avoid relegation"

The cup's only a distraction if you don't win it! I'd take a GUARANTEED FA Cup over relegation every day of the week. Televised around the world, in all the papers (trending worldwide on Twitter!), etched in history. Yes, please: distract me.
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:

The cup's only a distraction if you don't win it! I'd take a GUARANTEED FA Cup over relegation every day of the week. Televised around the world, in all the papers (trending worldwide on Twitter!), etched in history. Yes, please: distract me.
    Maybe that is why I am clashing with others above then because I would prefer to watch 23 home games next season in the Championship rather than get relegated to League 1 which was commonly referred to on here as a "pub league". A one off, day out at Wembley win or no win will soon be forgotten when we are watching Fleetwood on a cold, Tuesday night.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Bollox , that is my one stick that I can't lose with , whilst bashing palace and millwall fans verbally , it's our one and only FA Cup final win and yes we won it in 1947 in vintage Charlton style (apparently the dullest Cup Final ever) and we have that "major" trophy feather in our cap over them and I wouldn't mind making it two feathers !!
  • Options
    Etched in history.

My four year old son will know what it means for Charlton to lift a cup. The Cup. We'll both remember that for life! And we'll pass that down the generations.

Relegation, he doesn't even know the concept yet.
  • Options

LoOkOuT said:

Maybe that is why I am clashing with others above then because I would prefer to watch 23 home games next season in the Championship rather than get relegated to League 1 which was commonly referred to on here as a "pub league". A one off, day out at Wembley win or no win will soon be forgotten when we are watching Fleetwood on a cold, Tuesday night.
    I would counter that watching Fleetwood on a cold, Tuesday night will be forgotten about significantly sooner than an FA Cup final appearance.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jodaius said:

LoOkOuT said:

I would counter that watching Fleetwood on a cold, Tuesday night will be forgotten about significantly sooner than an FA Cup final appearance.
    And it is that much different to watching Blackpool on a cold tuesday night?

I think not.
  • Options
    Sadly gents the reality is we are not going to win the cup and as things stand we will be playing Fleetwood in a "pub league" next season.
    We can all dream though................................including JJ.
  • Options

Sadly gents the reality is we are not going to win the cup and as things stand we will be playing Fleetwood in a "pub league" next season.

Jesus mate, steer clear of sharp objects
  • Options
    Should we win the FA cup...what will be the allocation for Juventus away and shouldn't the club really be looking into coach and train hire already?
  • Options

No mate, they said it was GUARANTEED and I'm holding them to it ;-)
  • Options
    Any way of listening to the interview?
  • Options
    To be fair. I'd take winning the FA Cup and getting relegated too. You're not going to tell your grandchildren about finishing 21st are you?
  • Options
    If we only had two games left at the end of the season and we were offered a guarantee to win one of them, but the cost would be losing the other, I would go for the game that kept us up ... however I can fully understand the alternative perspective.

Regarding JJ, he could say what he said because he knows it won't happen. Why anyone should get hot under the collar over the answer i don't know.
  • Options
    I think I've seen everything we are likely to win in modern football. Two play offs and promotions/ titles from the second and third divisions of English football.
    Therefore getting to another QF in proper cup would be good, a SF would be excellent, a final magic. Winning it unlikely but more so than anything in the top division we are ever likely to achieve.
    Nice thought JJ. Relegation? Another title opportunity!