Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Johnnie Jackson - Talksport

13»

Comments

• Options
    Kap10 said:

If we only had two games left at the end of the season and we were offered a guarantee to win one of them, but the cost would be losing the other, I would go for the game that kept us up ... however I can fully understand the alternative perspective.

Regarding JJ, he could say what he said because he knows it won't happen. Why anyone should get hot under the collar over the answer i don't know.

He probably didn't think he would end captaining a Championship side with a league trophy to his name when he was aged 28 and playing for Notts County in the 4th division.
  • Options
    Did he say anything else or was this the only Question
  • Options
    He spoke on a number of subjects. As others have said came across as knowledgeable and articulate. Seemed very comfortable and gave an insight into some stuff around Charlton and other general football stuff.

Spoke about his time at Spurs and his love for Arsenal. Discussed how loans can be successful or a drag. He liked his time at Coventry and disliked Derby. Notts County was a bit of a circus but enjoyed it there.

Referees and recent decisions were scrutinised. He says that as captain he always tries to get in well with reds but can get frustrated. Says that if you get on their case a bit then this can influence their decisions later in the game. Cited Howard Webb's decision to not send off Steven Gerrard recently for a second yellow as he had made a mistake with an earlier decision. Basically when refs realise they may have made an error they will even things out.

His time at Charlton is his happiest. He hasn't really met RD and didn't exactly eulogise about him. Mentioned the loaners for SL and how they need time to gel. Is concerned by our position and is desperate to put it right. He has had relegations in the past and they are horrible to experience while promotions are hard to beat. However, the chance of an FA cup win is, for a player of his generation and ability, pretty much a one off opportunity, therefore he would accept relegation if it meant winning the cup. I think he acknowledged this was a fairly selfish thought but answered the question honestly.

I think he has some fairly strong media connections and always seems to impress so is a possible avenue when he retires. Added to the fact that he is doing his coaching badges and has a soccer school in its infancy it would seem he has most based covered when he retires.
  • Options
    Ample restecp for JJ, been a great captain for us and hope he is here for a while yet. Those free kicks v the sheffield melts, i'll never forget. He loves it here you can see that.
  • Options
    Anybody have a link to the interview ?
  • Options
    This interview is a new low for Charlton fans everywhere. I'm personally disgusted that our captain would like to win a major honour for the first time in 67 years. Its clearly impossible to have that idea and actually be motivated for anything else. Powell needs to act swiftly here and nip this dangerous talk in the bud.

Hopefully soon footballers will realise that when they express a desire to succeed in one competition there is a 100% chance they will instantly be rendered physically and mentally incapable of wanting or trying to do well in anything else. Given these scientific facts I just cannot believe JJ has said he's up for the cup when it means it's now an impossibility he will want to do what he's paid to do in any other games. I can sympathise to a degree - when I want to succeed at one thing I know it means that I will automatically fail and have no interest in anything else but that one thing. I'd expect more from our captain though.
  • Options
    I agree that winning the cup would be brilliant and last long in the memory. However, the reality is that we've beaten Oxford and Huddersfield and we're not very good. I hate to burst the bubble but we"re not gonna win the thing and I can't believe how much time we're spending discussing it. If we beat both the sheffields then let's start to dream. In the meantime we need some points or it'll be the paint pot cup next year!