Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is poyet the new Parker ?

13»

Comments

• Options
    redcarter said:

“I don’t know what the future holds for me and where I’ll end up playing - but I was never going to make my debut under my dad. That was always going to raise some eyebrows. I never wanted to do that and my dad never wanted me to do that. He has helped me when he can but I’ve wanted to do it by myself.”

“I’m looking forward to seeing what happens and where we are at the end of the season. Then we can sit down and talk about contracts. You never know, they might not want me to sign and I’ll have to find a new club.
    “At the moment I’m happy. I don’t want to rush into anything I regret.”

When was this said?

http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/Sport.cfm?id=5948
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I would be extremely foolish on Poyet's behalf, at his age, if it was all about money and he has a father who knows the game to advise him. He has forced his way into the Charlton side and that is fantastic for his development - there is a risk going anywhere else that he might not have a place in the side and could stagnate or be one of these constatntly loaned players. But jut as risky at this stage in his career would be showing that he can compete in the Championship and going down to League One. So I am confident if we stay up that he will show loyalty, but realise it will be in his own interests too.

Scott Parker would have been better staying with us until he could leave and be one of the first names on his new club's teamsheet - rather than a reserve or being played out of position, and that could have been as little as six months later! Poyet is in the same position - and Cousins too. If they reach a level above us, Charlton will sell them - so they will move on to th eright level when they are ready for it and in the meantime- be an intrinsic part of a team that beleives (through necessity) in giving youth a chance.

• Options
    We didn't get anything for Josh Wright because we offered him worse terms (i.e. less money) than he was on orignally. If a player is offered better terms, I'm pretty sure we have to get compensation.
  • Options
    They might not want to sign you! Must be joking been outstanding in all games!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Q: was Carl Jenkinson "foolish" to leave us? He'd almost certainly say not, though he's mainly a benchwarmer at Arse. worst case scenario if you sign for a top 4 club is that you have 3/4 flush years, loaned out (probably to at least a Championship club to start with) & even if you're slung out at the end you'll have further chances (Franny Jeffers).

If you are a confident type with a pushy agent, it's not difficult to come up with a counter-argument to the very good reasons for staying put.

Go back a few years. Peter Reeves was a really good player for us, and in the early days something of a prospect. He stayed, gradually became more ordinary and sunk to Div 3 with the team (then injuries finished him off).

So, if we want DP to stay, we've got to work really hard in my view, and not rely on negative arguments
  • Options
    Assuming we stay up, our new owner Roland Duchatelet needs to sell a compelling vision to the best players out of contract that they can grow and succeed at SE7.
    What we have seen so far and what we hear about Liege suggests that he won't hang about when it comes to signing players.
    If we can retain all the midfield and add to our striking options then is it reasonable to suggest top 6 is a possibility?
    Put another way is it better for Diego Poyet (and others) to try for the Premier League elsewhere or with us?
    I wonder what Stephens and Kermorgant would advise...especially if we make it to Wembley?!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Jenkinson was fortunate to be able to walk into an Arsenal team that maybe he shouldn't have been able to due to injuries/loss of staff. And if a Premiership team could offer Poyet the same, maybe he would be foolish not to accept. I think the Jenkinson situation was a bit different though.

Of course we can't stop Sunderland tapping him up - we can't stop him talking to his dad. But he isn't a council estate kid - but the son of a prefessional footballer which makes me more confident he will make the right choice. And as a father, Poyet will put his son above Sunderland. It is a lot of pressure for a young lad to play in the team managed by his dad - accusations of favouritism etc... He needs to play football - develop his game without any of those complications and dad will know that. Also, he has also only just broken into our team - he may and probably will experience a dip - better he does that with us than at a new club where his upwards curve could suddenly start going in the other direction.
  • Options
    If my son was in Parker's position and was offered three times the money at what is going to be one of the most successful clubs of his generation I would advise him to move, immediately, and anyone that says different is, in my view, thinking like a fan and not a parent.

Footballers can suffer career finishing injuries at any time, and opportunities to join the very biggest clubs don't come along very often and need to be grabbed with both hands.

What no one ever says about him is that he could always have come back if it'd not worked at Chelsea. In truth I don't think he signed for a club that is not considered to be bigger than us until he was well past 30, and he played in a higher division for a lot of that time.

I'm not convinced that he would have had a better career, in terms of prestige or financial earnings if he'd turned Chelsea down that January, so I don't believe that it was a mistake, even with hindsight.
  • Options
    Whatever happens, happens, I'd like to think we as Charlton fans won't put any pressure on the lad as fans, let him enjoy his football, sing and chant his name , make him feel special, wanted and loved at Charlton, and maybe , just maybe he'll want to sign a new contract at Charlton because he loves it here.
  • Options

“I don’t know what the future holds for me and where I’ll end up playing - but I was never going to make my debut under my dad. That was always going to raise some eyebrows. I never wanted to do that and my dad never wanted me to do that. He has helped me when he can but I’ve wanted to do it by myself.”

“I’m looking forward to seeing what happens and where we are at the end of the season. Then we can sit down and talk about contracts. You never know, they might not want me to sign and I’ll have to find a new club.
    “At the moment I’m happy. I don’t want to rush into anything I regret.”

I really don't like hearing a 19 year-old kid who has played four games come out with that sort of stuff, sounds to me like he has well and truly been tapped up for next season elsewhere.

If I were a young player I would want to play at Charlton simply because under RD you know you are going to play football.

With respect to Poyet if he goes somewhere else he'll just be another 18 year-old kid trying to make it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Jenkinson was fortunate to be able to walk into an Arsenal team that maybe he shouldn't have been able to due to injuries/loss of staff. And if a Premiership team could offer Poyet the same, maybe he would be foolish not to accept. I think the Jenkinson situation was a bit different though.

Of course we can't stop Sunderland tapping him up - we can't stop him talking to his dad. But he isn't a council estate kid - but the son of a prefessional footballer which makes me more confident he will make the right choice. And as a father, Poyet will put his son above Sunderland. It is a lot of pressure for a young lad to play in the team managed by his dad - accusations of favouritism etc... He needs to play football - develop his game without any of those complications and dad will know that. Also, he has also only just broken into our team - he may and probably will experience a dip - better he does that with us than at a new club where his upwards curve could suddenly start going in the other direction.

Poyet went to Eltham College, my Uncle was one of his teachers there and says he is a cracking young bloke very modest and respectful of people.

At the same time Poyet's kids were there so were Zola's - would have been one hell of a school football team - but I am not sure if they'd have one being a Rugby school!
  • Options

If my son was in Parker's position and was offered three times the money at what is going to be one of the most successful clubs of his generation I would advise him to move, immediately, and anyone that says different is, in my view, thinking like a fan and not a parent.

Footballers can suffer career finishing injuries at any time, and opportunities to join the very biggest clubs don't come along very often and need to be grabbed with both hands.

What no one ever says about him is that he could always have come back if it'd not worked at Chelsea. In truth I don't think he signed for a club that is not considered to be bigger than us until he was well past 30, and he played in a higher division for a lot of that time.

I'm not convinced that he would have had a better career, in terms of prestige or financial earnings if he'd turned Chelsea down that January, so I don't believe that it was a mistake, even with hindsight.

He won young player of the year that season - Not for anything he did at Chelsea = who either played him on the bench or on the wing! We came 7th - had we kept Parker we would probably finished 4th or 5th - more likely 4th. In the summer he would have been hot property and could have taken his pick of clubs and joined a club where he was played in his best position. Of this I am pretty confident - and it would have provided a better springboard for his career I am sure.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

He won young player of the year that season - Not for anything he did at Chelsea = who either played him on the bench or on the wing! We came 7th - had we kept Parker we would probably finished 4th or 5th - more likely 4th. In the summer he would have been hot property and could have taken his pick of clubs and joined a club where he was played in his best position. Of this I am pretty confident - and it would have provided a better springboard for his career I am sure.
    However, your logic assumes that he was better off going somewhere other than Chelsea. That would have required him being told, and believing that he was not good enough. Something that you believe now, years after he left.

You also can't ignore that he could have broken his leg in the run in with us and not have been able to move in the summer and never recovered to the same level and/or the, obvious, fact that a contract on life changing money now is, absolutely, no guarantee that another one will come along. If he'd made it at Chelsea he would have a couple of Premier League winners medals (something that he wouldn't have got anywhere else - other than Man Utd - during his career) and had he turned Chelsea down they might have signed someone else and he would have always regretted it.

I still believe that with the information available at the time he made the correct decision for both his family and his career. The fact that it was the worst outcome for Charlton is completely irrelevant to the player's decision. All be it that I don't think we would have got £10m if he'd gone someone else that summer.
  • Options
    Was Carl Jenkinson 'tapped up' or was the Arsenal approach legitimate?

His (now) agent, the same recently fined for his part in the Everton / Notts Forrest tapping up saga, is the son of former Arsenal 1st team coach.....

• Options

Poyet went to Eltham College, my Uncle was one of his teachers there and says he is a cracking young bloke very modest and respectful of people.

At the same time Poyet's kids were there so were Zola's - would have been one hell of a school football team - but I am not sure if they'd have one being a Rugby school!
    When I was a student at Eltham College football really did play second fiddle to Rugby. Oh to have been playing with that talent then...
  • Options

When I was a student at Eltham College football really did play second fiddle to Rugby. Oh to have been playing with that talent then...
    You're green with envy aren't you?

:-)
  • Options

used to play eltham at rugby and cricket, always used to beat us. Basterds.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    If Parker would have broken his leg after staying with us- he clearly would have made the wrong choice - but whilst injury should always be a consideration, I don't think a footballer can make every decision based on possibly breaking his leg tomorrow. I felt it was the wrong choice for him at the time as I believed it was done as much to unsettle a rival as much as them wanting the player - he was eitrher sub or played out of position for the rest of the season, which re-affirmed this.

In some ways Poyet is taking a risk not signing a contract now- as this would protect him should he break his leg this season. Having said that, the club would do right by him if this happened I'm sure and loyalty should always work both ways. I would hate to start my career by stitching up the people I owe a lot to, and it would be very sad if Poyet did this. I don't think he will. If he needs the leverage of being a free agent to get a move- it isn't the right time for him to move. If we got relegated- I would be undertsanding as he doesn't need to be playing in League One. but he could still sign a contract on the agreement he will be sold - as Shelvey did. Doing a Defoe lacks class!
  • Options
    Parker was signed by Abramovich on the back of the Boxing day performance at the Valley.

He was never really wanted by Ranieri hence the move was never going to work.
  • Options

However, your logic assumes that he was better off going somewhere other than Chelsea. That would have required him being told, and believing that he was not good enough. Something that you believe now, years after he left.

You also can't ignore that he could have broken his leg in the run in with us and not have been able to move in the summer and never recovered to the same level and/or the, obvious, fact that a contract on life changing money now is, absolutely, no guarantee that another one will come along. If he'd made it at Chelsea he would have a couple of Premier League winners medals (something that he wouldn't have got anywhere else - other than Man Utd - during his career) and had he turned Chelsea down they might have signed someone else and he would have always regretted it.

I still believe that with the information available at the time he made the correct decision for both his family and his career. The fact that it was the worst outcome for Charlton is completely irrelevant to the player's decision. All be it that I don't think we would have got £10m if he'd gone someone else that summer.
    He was on a roll at Charlton having a great season and was a hot prospect. Going Chelsea slowed him down and jilted his confidence. He wasn't good enough for Chelsea' s 1st team as they had a preferred style of play that Parker did not fit into.

The signing of Parker for Chelsea was just another careless one they kept making because they had the money to blow on and was in a rush to snap just about anyone up regardless of whether they would get 1st team action and would most likely get overlooked. It was foolish of Parker to do what he did because he then had to work backwards to get what he had at Charlton somewhere else.

Eventually Parker rebuilt his career in the 1st team spotlight by going to Newcastle.

If Fergie took him under his wing at any point he could have had a much more successful, different career.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It was foolish of Parker to do what he did because he then had to work backwards to get what he had at Charlton somewhere else.

But at the time he didn't know he wasn't going to make it in their first team. He had excelled at every level at that point. He, realistically, couldn't have looked any better in our side. He was breaking into the England side where he was being compared to Lampard and Gerrard. He, naturally, believed that he was good enough for Chelsea, and I don't believe anyone that watched him play for us that says that they know at the time that he wasn't!
  • Options
    How many more threads discussing Scott Parker's departure. Done to death many times. I'm sure this wasn't th intention of the OP.
  • Options
    Sorry I wasn't aware that I had to check what the OP's discussion intentions before I posted. I also, just assumed, that the comparison might have included the fact that Poyet is clearly leaving the door open for him to leave. His Dad will obviously advise him what to do, and if he has made it clear he's not going to sign a contract now I can only assume his Dad is happy with that.

However, now that I know I'm not allowed to discuss Parker's departure I will go and find something else to do!
  • Options
    It is an analogy and should definitely be discussed in this context!