Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    ...'people will vote with their feet'
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing large.
  • Options
    “When you own one club your whole focus is on that one club and making sure it is successful. When you own a number of clubs you have disparate objectives and you have to ensure the whole family works and as I understand the Duchatelet model it has to be profitable overall.

“In my view it waters down the passion if you have got half a dozen football clubs to look after and I certainly hope we never become just a feeder club.

"Communication with supporters is vital and if they don't know what the future plan is they can only guess and that breeds discontent and suspicion and worse than that people will vote with their feet.”

.. hard to disagree with even for you blind optimists out there. It won't be long till we all do vote with our feet, I'll give it a year from this point.
  • Options
    ^^^ Yep you're right I'll ignore Peter Varney. What the hell does he know about it anyway!
  • Options
    Yann897 said:

“When you own one club your whole focus is on that one club and making sure it is successful. When you own a number of clubs you have disparate objectives and you have to ensure the whole family works and as I understand the Duchatelet model it has to be profitable overall.

“In my view it waters down the passion if you have got half a dozen football clubs to look after and I certainly hope we never become just a feeder club.

"Communication with supporters is vital and if they don't know what the future plan is they can only guess and that breeds discontent and suspicion and worse than that people will vote with their feet.”

.. hard to disagree with even for you blind optimists out there. It won't be long till we all do vote with our feet, I'll give it a year from this point.

Corr do you ever stop moaning , can you not see the good things rd is doing ?
    You should vote with your feet and not go if your that against him , don't need these negative fans , I know a few people who are very optimistic and since Powell has gone have said they will now get a season ticket next year so it's not all one sided . I'm very happy and optimistic for our future. Up the Addicks !
    Rather than following me about telling me how optimistic you are, how about telling me how you think the whole family network benefits our club and doesn't water down the passion involved in running a club (which is a necessity) . But thanks for your input, Roland. And you know Charlton fans that will now go because Powell has gone??? They aren't Charlton fans.
  • Options

Yann897 said:

You should vote with your feet and not go if your that against him , don't need these negative fans , I know a few people who are very optimistic and since Powell has gone have said they will now get a season ticket next year so it's not all one sided . I'm very happy and optimistic for our future. Up the Addicks !
    Rather than following me about telling me how optimistic you are, how about telling me how you think the whole family network benefits our club and doesn't water down the passion involved in running a club (which is a necessity) . But thanks for your input, Roland. And you know Charlton fans that will now go because Powell has gone??? They aren't Charlton fans.

You might just be the most depressing person on this site.
    For the last week you've non stop moaned, cheer up a tad
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Thank you Large. Reading what Varney had written prompted me to go back and check what RD had actually said in his inaugural address. Speaking of the need to have rapidly bought players that CP had no say in RD said 'He ( CP) has the option to play them or not to play them.' So many sources are now saying this was untrue and when CP put out a team that he had picked and not the players that he had been told to pick, it led directly to CP's sacking.
    Asked about where he saw Charlton in a few years, RD said 'You have to be aware that a football club is not just a matter of winning. I know it is important but if you look at football today its a huge social club'. He went on to describe the diverse nature of football supporters and added that 'A football club is the centre of a communion'.

I don't like being misled/lied to and I don't like the vision.
  • Options
    Charlton Athletic is going to spend 2-3 years being absolutely rogered by this "network" approach.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Yann897 said:

I don't follow you far from it but it's a bit hard not to notice when like greenie junior wrote all you do is moan and be negative , and yes they are Charlton fans they go a few games but stopped going recently because there's no enjoyment with the way we was playing,
    Not my style I go no matter what and I also back the club no matter what .
    What would make you be happy with rd I suggest nothing ?
    What about giving the captain a new contract , or signing a striker when we can't score goals or even a new pitch at the end of the season ??
  • Options
    As a prominent and vocal supporter, I'm suprised that PV hasn't joined the G21
  • Options

Yann897 said:

Ha ha, brilliant. You've saved me typing exactly the same comment!
  • Options
    Don't disagree with much of what varney says, but he is Ebbsfleet chairman and should stick to discussing them and not the internal affairs of Charlton, the side swipe at Parkinson was unnecessary and debatable in its validity, given that we were 2 points off play off, before the investment that Chris received in 7 players before the end of the season. I accept that PP had to go but it was due to the baggage that he brought with him from being Pardews Assistant and Murrays "Judge him on results" statement, more than the results of a team as under invested in as Chris's team has been this last two seasons.
  • Options

As a prominent and vocal supporter, I'm suprised that PV hasn't joined the G21

Should have one through with the rumoured take over with the richest men on the planet.. Oh no, he'd rather join the queue of people lining up to have a pop

• Options

Yann897 said:

Great shout I was thinking just the same!
  • Options
    he implies that we are in our current league position because we sold Yann and Stephens but we were only just hovering above the bottom three before we sold them so that negates his arguement for me.

I too was wondering why he isn't involved in G21 (G22). Suppose it wouldn't look good seeing as he's Chairman of another football club.
  • Options

he implies that we are in our current league position because we sold Yann and Stephens but we were only just hovering above the bottom three before we sold them so that negates his arguement for me.

I too was wondering why he isn't involved in G21 (G22). Suppose it wouldn't look good seeing as he's Chairman of another football club.

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he was in the background somewhere.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Yann897 said:

and one's that won't go because RD is in charge are I suppose? Oh the irony.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Stick to your guns, Atletico - your opinions are perfectly valid...

Obviously not pal, it's sad to see really. I rarely get a response from someone who shoots me down because they have nothing to say from that point onwards.

Everything PV has said in the article is a well articulated point, yet because it's in the negative camp people push it aside and shoot you down. Sad really because if I am proved to be correct in a couple of years regarding the direction in which this club will go, it'll kill me inside to know that people weren't willing to accept it's a possibility, before it's too late.
  • Options
    “I went to Bramall Lane and it was a poor performance but if you add just Kermorgant and Stephens to the team that day I believe it would all have been very different”

I have to disagree strongly with that view.

“When you look at the wages paid out last season, that team shouldn’t have finished ninth."

Does he mean the team should have finished higher or lower?
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he was in the background somewhere.
    Without a doubt.

And where were the thoughts of Chairman Reg under the last regime?

Mind you - where were the G21 come to think of it.

• Options
    Saw him at brammel lane, wonder if he wants the feet voters to head down to ebbsfleet ?
  • Options

Obviously not pal, it's sad to see really. I rarely get a response from someone who shoots me down because they have nothing to say from that point onwards.

Everything PV has said in the article is a well articulated point, yet because it's in the negative camp people push it aside and shoot you down. Sad really because if I am proved to be correct in a couple of years regarding the direction in which this club will go, it'll kill me inside to know that people weren't willing to accept it's a possibility, before it's too late.
    I've had a couple of debates with you over the last week or so, so would be good to hear what you think on whats happened rather than what could happen (JJ new contract, money to be spent on Sparrows Lane, Obika in on loan, Money to be spent on pitch). Apologies if already missed.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

I agree that communication with supporters is vital - it was nowhere last year and is building now but still inadequate.

The quickest way for the whole network to be profitable is for CAFC to get promoted to the Premier League so I actually believe that the fans interests are aligned with the owner. The last owners wanted this too but ran out of cash.

I think the network has benefitted the club in two ways - the club now has a wealthy owner and can therefore plan for the long term and we saw six players arrive overnight in January - not all good but two are in the first team and two are on the bench.

As for Stephens and Kermorgant? Stephens more than adequately replaced by Ajdarevic coming in and Poyet coming through - and Kermorgant wanted out for bigger money else he would have taken the pay rise offered here or played however many more games were required to trigger the automatic extension in his contract.

Don't get me wrong... the club should have acted quicker in bringing in another striker - four games without a goal and two 1-0 wins before that tells the story.

And, as Weegie states, people should feel free to post their perspective. Others can challenge or agree as they see fit - this is, after all, a message board!

• Options

I've had a couple of debates with you over the last week or so, so would be good to hear what you think on whats happened rather than what could happen (JJ new contract, money to be spent on Sparrows Lane, Obika in on loan, Money to be spent on pitch). Apologies if already missed.
    Happy regarding JJ, crowd pleasing decision for the masses and one which I'm happy with, he should have another good year in him, hopefully the two he's signed for.

Sparrows Lane is not somewhere I frequent often, my personal stance is, as are many here, his 'income' will revolve around producing talent. I'd say he is speculating to accumulate, it's good for us but only if we are using it in the right way, time well till regarding that, and a lot of time in that.

Obika in on loan, strange one really, due to the fact it's a repeat of what we had last season. Obika stating in an interview that he owes alot to YK is a bit of a worry, I don't remember directly but YK will have knocked on alot of Obikas goals late on in the match when defenders legs are tiring. Obika was often used as an impact sub who got flicked on one on one's and scored them, I'm not too sure if he will get these chances this season? HAS to be judged on his goals if given the time, as that's what he's brought in for, nothing else. Better than no-one.

Money to be spent on the pitch is a necessity for a football club with a pitch like ours, we are contractually obliged to provide a service and that service is football to the paying masses, if the pitch stayed the same (and progressively got worse) RD would be shooting himself in the foot as we'd get heavily fined, perhaps even worse than that. He will have took this into account when he bought the club, and would imagine he has a very good method of short-medium term balancing his books.

My dislike is against the method RD brings, it seems in no way in-line with our hope to progress as a football club, it quite aptly, seems in-line with his hope to break even or make a profit from football and benefit the greater good of his network, that's where my problems lay. Long term
    Fair views.