Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nottingham Forest v Charlton 2014 post-match views

Comments

• Options
    stonemuse said:

Would have been happy with three points from the three away games ... Forest Derby Leeds ... so anything we get now at Derby and Leeds will be a bonus.

The clean sheets we have obtained both under Chris and Jose will prove to be very important this season.

Derby will be tough - although don't forget Scumwall won there 1-0 two weeks back - but Leeds are there for the taking and only Forest are below them in the form table.

They have a home game with Doncaster on Saturday and if they lose that then they will be absolutely at rock bottom form-wise - and God only knows what will have happened off the pitch to them by then.
  • Options
    Maybe the team coach turning up late was the key; no time to get pre match nerves and put increased pressure on the home team to atone for getting beaten by their fierce rivals last time out :-0
  • Options
    Was getting tetchy as the night went on knowing Barnsley and Yeovil were winning then they go to the CG and there's been a goal. Hoping it's for Charlton but expecting Forest. 0-1 and queue me jumping around fist pumping screaming yes under my breath (I had my 16 month old in bed!). Then Leicester score and the night is about as good as it could be. Oh and Millwall lost their 'must win' game...what a season Ollie is having. Started it in the Premier League and likely to end in League One...
  • Options
    Spankie said:

Was getting tetchy as the night went on knowing Barnsley and Yeovil were winning then they go to the CG and there's been a goal. Hoping it's for Charlton but expecting Forest. 0-1 and queue me jumping around fist pumping screaming yes under my breath

Yep exactly the same here , could not believe it !
  • Options
    We took full advantage of a side who are in meltdown. That's what you need to do in order to stay in this division. Could prove to be a very big win at the end of the season. Anything we can get from Derby will be a bonus imho but Leeds are in a bad way so that is a possibility for at least a point.
  • Options
    I was sat in the pub watching Manc derby but following our game on here / twitter more than looking at the tele. Went mad when we scored. Huge relief.
  • Options
    JonnyK said:

Granpa said:

Looks like a straight between us and Yeovil, who Gary Johnson has got playing well. Our target should be Doncaster, 5 points behind them with 3 games in hand. No doubt that Jose likes to go for the win, he had Joe Piggott ready to come on when we scored and changed it to Fox. I would definitely like to see Jose sign a contract, the players like him, and when he welcomed Joe back, Joe said that he is a real gentleman.

My source reckons Jose is lined up for the Academy at season end but only time will tell!
    Have to say that I've heard this too, JK

• Options

Marvellous unexpected result, well done Jose and the lads.

I will start to get my hopes up when we are in the same position and having beat Yeovil, still concerned about them.

Millwall, LOL...

Agree. The worrying thing about Yeovil is that they have goals in them, against any team.

To counter that though, you could argue they must be gutted at the amount of late goals (and points) they've given away.

In the last week alone they were 2-1 up at Wigan with 5 minutes left and drew (nearly lost it), 2-0 up at home to Bolton, drew 2-2. 1-0 up at Leicester and conceded in the last minute.
  • Options

We took full advantage of a side who are in meltdown. That's what you need to do in order to stay in this division. Could prove to be a very big win at the end of the season. Anything we can get from Derby will be a bonus imho but Leeds are in a bad way so that is a possibility for at least a point.

This .. a workmanlike win and performance against a club that has imploded .. I don't care how boring and 'workmanlike' we are for the rest of the season so long as we keep on winning .. a terrific night .. now on to inconsistent Derby
  • Options

Marvellous unexpected result, well done Jose and the lads.

I will start to get my hopes up when we are in the same position and having beat Yeovil, still concerned about them.

Millwall, LOL...

Agree. The worrying thing about Yeovil is that they have goals in them, against any team.

To counter that though, you could argue they must be gutted at the amount of late goals (and points) they've given away.

In the last week alone they were 2-1 up at Wigan with 5 minutes left and drew (nearly lost it), 2-0 up at home to Bolton, drew 2-2. 1-0 up at Leicester and conceded in the last minute.
    The guy (Julian....) who does the midweek Soccer Specials on Sky Sports News said that Yeovil have thrown away 27 points from winning positions this season now
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Very interesting to hear from those who were there about the apparent, evident change in style of play, which I think will be welcomed by the majority of fans.
  • Options

JonnyK said:

Granpa said:

Looks like a straight between us and Yeovil, who Gary Johnson has got playing well. Our target should be Doncaster, 5 points behind them with 3 games in hand. No doubt that Jose likes to go for the win, he had Joe Piggott ready to come on when we scored and changed it to Fox. I would definitely like to see Jose sign a contract, the players like him, and when he welcomed Joe back, Joe said that he is a real gentleman.

My source reckons Jose is lined up for the Academy at season end but only time will tell!

Perplexing if true. The Academy has recently been producing more quality players in the same 'batch" than we have seen in the last 20 years.
  • Options
    Nice pitch at Forest and Riga picked just the right team to play on it. Our home pitch totally kills off any idea of playing football so we will probably have to be more direct at The Valley.
  • Options
    Have to admit I was surprised that we got all three points. I had a dream last night that we won the game but when I got up this morning I suddenly had a terrible feeling that we might have been thrashed...

Anyway, well done to the whole team (and those who made the trip). I'm very pleased we kept a clean sheet again. We've been finding it extremely hard to score goals so it's vital that we have a solid defence. It seems to me that the key for us to gain points is not to concede first - the last time we came from behind to win a game was three months ago against Brighton. I said in the Burnley preview thread that if we could hold on before half time then maybe we would have a chance to get something from the game. It didn't turn out that way but it looked like the case last night, perhaps with a little bit of luck. Thanks to all the people that have contributed to this thread (very helpful as usual to a fan like me) Reading your reflections on the game has made me feel positive about our future. Still a long way to go but I believe we can build on this important away win and hopefully get at least one point at Derby on Saturday.
  • Options
    Riga doing the business with a weakened squad. That will do for me. A vital win with lots of attacking players in their box when we scored. Positive stuff and 3 points was the aim. Get in.
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUcFvC1S8wc

Highlights, with a little disagreement after from Wilson + AA.
  • Options
    Don't like that finger pointing from Wilson... seems out of character. Wonder what must've provoked it.
  • Options
    Didn't see the AA and Wilson disagreement until that clip.

Wonder what that was all about
  • Options
    Tell you what I do like about our bench: Pigott looks stripped and ready to come on as Cousins runs over to celebrate his goal. The attacking intent from Riga is clear to see. Unluckily for Joe, we got the goal and Riga decided his contribution was no longer required.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

JonnyK said:

Granpa said:

Perplexing if true. The Academy has recently been producing more quality players in the same 'batch" than we have seen in the last 20 years.
    The unsubstantiated rumour circulating is that Paul Hart is off to Man City to head up its academy
  • Options
    Wilson was definately up for a ruck
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    PL54 said:

Wilson was definately up for a ruck

AA is a big unit though, looked to me like a case of hold me back, hold me back :-0
  • Options
    Both teams managed by men who (until recently) are academy team managers and might well be again come the new season.................
  • Options
    Its been a funny season - despair one minute then a couple of wins and jubilation - i expect it will continue like this and we will just about stay up - considering our position, the state of the pitch, the lack of goals, the loss of 2 club legends (cp and kermo) and the serious injury to solly, i've actually quite enjoyed it. A couple of wingers and strikers in the summer and we could quite easily be challenging at the other end next year if we manage to keep hold of those we want to.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Rizzo said:

Was listening on Player and biting nails throughout the entire match. Superb result for us, especially with the Spanners losing. Just wish Reading had done their bit and beaten Barnsley.

On a pedantic note, I read this in the SSN match report:

Charlton, though, delivered a fatal shot across Forest's boughs 10 minutes from time as Cousins slotted into an empty net from 12 yards
    A shot across the bows is a warning shot and therefore rarely fatal. Yes, yes. I am a pedant.

Forest - trees - boughs. Maybe he was trying to make a joke. If so, it failed miserably.
  • Options

Will 4 (even three) more wins see us safe?

I reckon 15 more points, how we get them......beating Barnsley & Yeovil is a must. What we could do with is pulling another one or two clubs into the mix. With Blackpool & Doncaster both losing, they could be susceptible. B'ham aren't out of it yet. Leeds could be interesting, should they go into admin, they'd be on 37pts (as of now).

Not in any particular order we have Derby (a), Leeds (a) GAME IN HAND, Reading (h), Watford (h) GAME IN HAND, Blackpool (a), Barnsley (H) GAME IN HAND, Bolton (h), Sheff Wed (a), Blackburn (h), Yeovil (h), Brighton (a)

6 home, 5 away. Presuming we get the 3 pts against Barnsley and Yeovil as these are must win games, which of the remaining games do people think we can win.

It is hard because I definitely wouldn't have put last night down as win prior to Billy Davies getting the boot. This division is very hard to predict.

I worry about Yeovil's spirit, they seem to be really good at fighting for their lives. Barnsley I am unsure about. The only thing that does look certain is Millwall look poor.
  • Options
    Looks like we took a bit of battering but hey ho! Bit of luck on our side too for once.
  • Options
    Hopefully Forest will appoint a decent manager before they play Millwall!