Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Derby County V Charlton Ath|Championship|29 March 2014|Preview, News, Views & Line Ups

The Introduction

Part two of Charlton' s 1970s league champions once managed by Brian Clough now fallen on hard times mini-tour of the Midlands and the North hits Derby this Saturday.

The Opposition

Derby County (League Champions in 1972 and 1975) should be much more of test for Charlton than were Forest (League Champions 1978) . The Rams beat the Reds 5 - 0 last weekend but then went on to lose at Ipswich at the same time as Jordan Cousins was taking away three points from the City Ground.

That thrashing of Forest was in fact Derby's only win in the last six which includes a home reversal at the hands of Millwall.

Chris Martin (18 goals) Craig Bryson (15) and Chelsea Loanee Patrick Bamford (7) offer the goal threat but defensively the Rams have conceded one more goal than Charlton in the league this season. That they are 4th and we're 21st only confirms what we've all known all season - we defend well enough but we don't score enough goals.

The Line Up

The hugely encouraging win at Forest should mean few changes but Jose Riga may want to rest some players with the game at Leeds (Champions 1974) just around the corner.

Dervitte's exit at half time may have been tactical or due to injury but Wood has proved an able centre half whenever called upon.

The rest of the defence and midfield picks itself.

Upfront the gaffer will have to make a decision on Jon Obika. Is he better coming off the bench or does he deserve a start?

The rumoured loan signing of Chris Flying-Bird could see Reza or Sordell drop to the bench

Hamer

Wilson Morrison Wood Wiggins

Cousins Poyet Jackson

Sordell Ajdarevic Obika

The Prediction

The good times continue 0 - 1 to the Londoners

The useless but interesting fact.

According to the Football Encyclopedia (1934) in 217 AD the men of Derby drove a body of Roman soldiers out of town and then celebrated with a game of football. This event was celebrated by a carnival on Shrove Tuesday (Pancake day to you heathens) during which there were large fights cum football matches between men of the parishes of St Peters and All Saints. It is from this intense local rivalry, according to this version of the story at least, that we get the term "Derby match".

Comments

• Options
    They have a 7 year old playing for them? Amazing...
  • Options
    Liking that, Henry.

IMHO, I think Sordell should be "rested".
  • Options
    Brilliant preview, thanks Henry. I'll be over the moon with a 0-0. They outplayed us down here and I think they're the best team we've played at home this season.
  • Options
    we can get a point and if we do that is lights out for one team below us.
  • Options
    Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • Options
    Wood and obika in for Dervite and Sordell
    2-1 derby
  • Options
    3-0 defeat.

Don't forget this is a roller coaster we are on.
  • Options
    2-0 defeat, hopefully a few shots for us though
  • Options
    Mike said:

2-0 defeat, hopefully a few shots for us though

I will be happy with the same result as last night, 12 shots, 1 on target and we win 1-0
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Would take a defeat with the proviso that we score a goal or two. Preferably from Poyet and or Ajdarevic. If we can get scoring from midfield we could still make the playoffs!
  • Options
    we will win
  • Options
    Watch out for their midfield runners and Chris Martin diving to win free kicks. They play 4-3-3, so we will need 3 in central midfield to make sure they don't get a man advantage in the central areas. Attack their Centre Backs Buxton and Keogh on the ground and attack Forsyth at left back in one-against-one situations and we can cause them problems. 1-1.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Hope that we will see Reza's first goal and him build some confidence, he's shown glimpses of what he can do - it would be great for him to make a breakthrough at this stage of the season!
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:

Watch out for their midfield runners and Chris Martin diving to win free kicks. They play 4-3-3, so we will need 3 in central midfield to make sure they don't get a man advantage in the central areas. Attack their Centre Backs Buxton and Keogh on the ground and attack Forsyth at left back in one-against-one situations and we can cause them problems. 1-1.

Did you get all that @Viewfinder‌?
  • Options
    VF's not moonlighting with the Rams is he :-0 ?
  • Options
    Can someone please tell me what formation we played last night.

Was it?...

.......................Hamer
    Wilson...Morrison...Dervite....Wiggins
    .......Cousins....Poyet....Jackson
    ....Rezza.........................Astrit
    ......................Sordell
  • Options

Was it?...

Took me ages that!
  • Options

Was it?...

Took me ages that!
    To me it seemed to be Astrit in the middle and Sordell out on the wing, in a 3 pronged attack.

• Options
    My annual trip back so I'm making this game. And I think we can do it again. Another 1-0 win
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm going for 2-1 us
  • Options
    I have a good feeling about Saturday . If we can hold them for the first twenty minutes and quieten the crowd I fancy us to to nick it 1-0 again .
    Having said that if I was offered the draw I would take it now .
  • Options
    Hard one to forecast, first one to score wins. Remember to take your brolleys !
  • Options
    Another weekend match against our other Cup Final opponents but this time it is our turn to take revenge on the 1946 extra time drubbing given out by Derby

0-1 to the binary bores and a step nearer Championship safety

585 delirious Addicks head back down the M1 flicked up
  • Options
    2-1 to us with a late winner from Captain Fantastic.
    We need to win this one to keep our play-off hopes alive. ;-)
  • Options
    A defeat with 2 of the bottom 3 catching up with us. We stay 21st on goal difference. Mood changes from we're definitely staying up to we're definitely going down.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

A defeat with 2 of the bottom 3 catching up with us. We stay 21st on goal difference. Mood changes from we're definitely staying up to we're definitely going down.

I've given you a LOL, but in actual fact, I think you're right :-(
  • Options
    Eagles (hopefull).................Obika
    ......................Astrit
  • Options
    Still see anything from this as bonus points to be honest. Would be helpful if Yeovil and Barnsley draw their game.

Every time I have predicted a 0 - 0 draw this season we have gone on to win 1 - 0. Expect us to grind out another 0 - 0.
  • Options
    Derby boss McClaren after loss on Tuesday night: "We have Charlton on Saturday and we have to take our disapointment and anger and make sure we don't let another one slip."
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!