Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Leeds Utd V Charlton Ath|Championship| Tuesday 1 April 2014|Preview, Views, News and Line Ups

The Introduction.

In Hand: Definition

1. In one's possession or control

2. Immediately available

3. (In football) To have played fewer games than other teams in the same league

The Opposition

Part Three of the "Midlands/Northern teams who won the league in the 1970s and were once managed by Brian Clough but have now fallen on hard times mini tour" rolls into Leeds this week.

Only while Derby and Forest have new, rich and seemingly stable owners pushing them forward Leeds are in yet another fine mess. When Ken Bates was finally bought out by GFH Capital it seemed Gulf money would take Leeds back to the top flight but no sooner had they bought the club than they looked to sell it. The latest suitor, Massimo Cellino, still hopes to take over the club, no doubt as shocked as the rest of us that it was actually possible to fail the Football League's fit and proper person test even if you have a conviction for tax dodging.

More on this long and convuluted story here but what that means for Charlton is unclear. The players weren't fully paid at the end of the March and then lost at home to Doncaster Rovers.

As we know to our cost they rely heavily on the goals of Ross McCormack but will also have former Addicks Loanee Cameron Stewart if they retain the same line up.

Worryingly for Charlton their only two wins in 2014 have been over fellow strugglers Yeovil and Millwall but they have been losing some games by big margins including conceding four, five and even six goals in a game, since the year began.

The Line Up

Not even the most optimistic Charlton fan would expect to see the Addicks hit six in Yorkshire as they did just under a year ago. Two goals in one game could well be cause for a Sheffield Wednesday like open top bus parade and civic dinner but other than against top four sides the back five has recently appeared solid.

How much Dervitte was missed a Derby is unclear. There is no news leaking back to Preview Towers as to his fitness so we expect to see Wood remain in an unchanged back five.

In the middle Poyet, Cousins and Johnnie "he only plays because he's Powell's favourite" Jackson seem set to start again.

Up top Jose seems to want to give Sordell and Reza chance after chance, none of which they have taken. Away from home and needing something from this "game in hand" the attack minded Belgian could lose patience with his misfiring strike force and give others a stab.

Astrit Ajdarević is another with a question mark hovering over his availability. Replacing him with another striker as happened at Derby didn't work so we expect Jose Riga to tinker again and play 4 - 3- 1- 2 with either AA or Man Utd loanee Davide Petrucci in the withdrawn centre forward role.

Hamer

Wilson Morrison Wood Wiggins
Cousins Poyet Jackson
------Pretrucci
Obika ---------Harriot

The Prediction

A high scoring game by our standards as we come away with a 2 - 1 win (Harriot and Morrison)

The Interesting but Useless Fact

In 1984 Leeds Utds vigorous pursuit of a debt owed to them from the transfer of Carl Harris drove Charlton Athletic to be wound up in the high court. (This was before the law was changed to allow administration). We were saved with 15 minutes to spare but our new owners then took us to Selhurst Park. Remember Leeds, what goes around, comes around.

Comments

• Start of our mini-season with games we could/should/must get something from. Players all looking a bit tired now (physically and mentally). He needs to give a few different players a start...Leeds 1 - CAFC 2.
  • Our Leeds monkey here at work reckons they could be in admin by tomorrow evening, that's got to have an effect on the players. This really is a game where we have to target three points, they should be there for the taking.

0-0 then.
  • Stop McCormack, stop Leeds.
  • He's got more goals than our entire squad!
  • Charlton 1 ross mccormack 6
  • Park the Bus, Jose. Park the bus...and pray
  • Similar to last Tuesday, the points are there for us to snatch, im going with our regular Tuesday night score of 1 - 0 to the Mighty Addicks, no idea who will score our goal other then it won't be a striker, COYR!
  • It would be lovely to think/hope that low moral and a relatively secure league position may will make this a winnable game against unmotivated opposition.
    This does not take in to account two facts. Ross MacCormack and we can't score.
    RedPanda raised the spectra that they could be in administration this time tomorrow. I hope not, this would put them on 37 points and thus give them something to fight for. That can wait till Wednesday, as Henry said "what goes around, comes around"

Prediction 1-1 We find a way to score, but don't stop RM.
  • It depends upon which Leeds turns up, to play which Charlton ? The way things are going, we should probably park the bus in front of the goal and go for 10 points out of the last 10 games. Therefore my forecast is an incredibly exciting, almost moving 0-0, leading us to challenge Orient for the nickname the O's !
  • Not intending to nitpick but is the game Tuesday 1 April or Wednesday 2 April?

Back to topic avoiding defeat is paramount anything more than that a real bonus.
  • Sponsored links:

• 1-0 leeds
  • Bore the opposition in the first half, get the natives restless and tense, then nick a late winner (from a defender or midfielder)
    That's generally how we play in such games, and I see no reason to change for this one...
  • I'd be happy enough with a draw possibly 1-1. We then need to do the business in the last 9 games, 6 of which are at home.
  • Must not lose. That's the priority. I can see one goal either way.
  • Depending on AA fitness, if fit I go for 4-3-3
    Hamer
    Wilson/Morrison/DD or Wood/Wiggins
    Cousins/Poyet/Petrucci
    AA/Obika/Harriot
    Subs: Thuram/Nego/Wood or Lennon/Jackson/Pritchard/Sordell/Pigott
    Harriot to play on right

If AA not fit then 4-4-2, not that Cousins will be pleased
    Hamer
    Wilson/Morrison/DD or Wood/Wiggins
    Cousins/Poyet/Petrucci/Harriot
    Pigott/Obika
    Subs: Thuram/Wood or Lennon/Nego/Jackson/Pritchard/Sordell/Reza

My heart says 3-1 win to us, my head says hope for a 1-0 win to us
  • another loss I fear (although Leeds match us for inconsistency)
    We were fortunate to get the Forest win, were awful at Derby, Leicester, Doncaster and Sheffield United, unlucky at Wigan: so despite my 'prediction' we are due a win and a good away performance, however, Leeds are also due a good performance, I fear tomorrow evening will be the game in which they come good

Leeds United 2 v CAFC 0
  • edited March 2014
    Idea for a TV series...

"Can't score, won't score"

Hapless South East London football club that should of invested the farm on a couple of proven attacking forward players in the loan AND emergency loan windows bowl up at one of the most detested football clubs in Leeds. A car crash of a game of football ensues, 1-0 Leeds Utd.
  • 0-1 to JR's Red & White Army
  • Live coverage on BBC Radio5 live Sports Extra
  • Sponsored links:

• I think the players held a bit back on saturday and will be well up for this.

Elland road could turn sour if they don't start well, so if we put in a repeat of the Forest performance then we can get all 3 points.

1-0 Jackson.
  • Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • Adjarevic back, appears to only manage one game per week
    Petrucci to start, Sordell and reza benched
    1-1
  • we score within 20, leeds equalise on 70
  • Leeds score goals so we'll have to score at least once to get anything out of this IMO

They are also very dopey at the back but whether we can take advantage of this - who knows.

Hoping for a 2-1 win.
  • The size of the away support will match the performance.... non league and a 3-0 victory to dirty leeds
  • Dreading our team just standing off McCormack.
  • Two goals in one game could well be cause for a Sheffield Wednesday like open top bus neck shirt parade and civic dinner fish supper but other than against top four sides the back five has recently appeared solid.

Fixed that for you Henry.
  • Can you buy tickets on the night for this or it a ticket only affair?