Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Southeastern train disruption (franchise to be taken over by Govt p191)

Comments

• Options
    Reduced timetable in place from Monday until further notice

"From Monday 16 November, we will introduce a reduced timetable in response to the current phase of the pandemic.

This timetable reflects reduced passenger demand and the need for some frontline colleagues who keep our network running, to follow personal NHS advice and self-isolate.

The new timetable is designed to enable us to run a resilient service and will help prevent short notice cancellations, should more frontline colleagues be affected by the virus."

• Options
    Does it mention anything about trains not stopping at London Bridge due to staff shortage?
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Does it mention anything about trains not stopping at London Bridge due to staff shortage?
    That is down to Network Rail not Southeastern.
  • Options
    Wilma said:

"From Monday 16 November, we will introduce a reduced timetable in response to the current phase of the pandemic.

This timetable reflects reduced passenger demand and the need for some frontline colleagues who keep our network running, to follow personal NHS advice and self-isolate.

The new timetable is designed to enable us to run a resilient service and will help prevent short notice cancellations, should more frontline colleagues be affected by the virus."

Does anyone know a bookmaker that will take a large stake bet on South Eastern cancelling a train at short notice on the morning of Monday 16 November?
  • Options
    Wilma said:

Really ! Trains seem to be even more packed since the lockdown .
  • Options
    I’ve not missed this thread. Hopefully won’t see you again for another few months
  • Options
    It was like the good old days this morning. Cancelled train. Jumped on the Victoria service and It became packed by the time we reached eltham. Lockdown... what bloody lockdown

• Options
    When does their franchise run out?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ok - so I haven’t been on a train since March - but this Friday I have to go to my office in the Strand to collect some paperwork that’s needed for some work that has landed on my desk - I need to go from Dartford to Charing Cross, arriving at 9.00am

What are the trains like at moment - packed, still rubbish service ?

Cheers
  • Options

The franchise system will be scrapped after this is all over.

All the rail companies are losing money and are being bailed by government emergency payments at the moment. Not sure why SE would bother cutting services - any savings or losses would simply be passed on to the government.

South Western Railways in my area currently seem overstaffed at the moment. The ticket offices and collection barriers are often manned much later than they were before Covid! 

The company doesn't have to pay for these staff so it doesn't matter to them. I guess the government don't mind paying over the odds either at the moment as these people would otherwise be furloughed! Might as well help their mental health and get them out.

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Ok - so I haven’t been on a train since March - but this Friday I have to go to my office in the Strand to collect some paperwork that’s needed for some work that has landed on my desk - I need to go from Dartford to Charing Cross, arriving at 9.00am

Cheers
    I've been going in once a week and my train has been really quiet, generally only about 4/5 people in a carriage. I get a train around 8.30am from Sidcup.  Edit to add, it's still usually late arriving at London Bridge!
  • Options

Cheers
    Do you really need to be there for 9am? 
  • Options
    Wilma said:

Cheers
    I've been going in once a week and my train has been really quiet, generally only about 4/5 people in a carriage. I get a train around 8.30am from Sidcup.  Edit to add, it's still usually late arriving at London Bridge!
    Thanks - if it’s a busy carriage, do people sit next to each other, or do they social distance ?
  • Options
    Wilma said:

Cheers
    Thanks - if it’s a busy carriage, do people sit next to each other, or do they social distance ?
    The train I get home is busier and I tend to stand by the doors and leave the seats for others (It is nothing like normal commuting though when I would be lucky if I could squeeze on at London Bridge!). 

I went to Kew Gardens at the end of October and the Sidcup line was closed due to a problem so the trains were really busy - no social distancing at all, everyone was sitting next to each other or squashed up in the aisles, but most were wearing masks and most of the mask-wears had them over their noses.
  • Options
    Wilma said:

Cheers
    I always go in a 2 seater and stick my bag and coat on the other seat. Ive only had 1 person sit next to me and that was when I didnt put my bag or coat on the seat next to me.

My train this morning was packed and had people standing as they didn't want to sit in the spare seats.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    When does their franchise run out?
    From Wikipedia. Don't presume we'll see the back of them at the end of the latest extension.

"
    Following the DfT's review after the cancellation of the InterCity West Coast franchise process, extensions were granted to the franchises due for renewal with Southeastern's franchise extended until June 2018.[17][18] It has since been extended a number of times and was scheduled to conclude on 31 March 2020 however the direct award from the DfT extended the franchise to 16 October 2021."
  • Options
    It's only off peak services that have been reduced until further notice.

Some newer trains from South Western are being transferred over. Fewer seats but walk through.
  • Options

Cheers
    Do you really need to be there for 9am? 
    Unfortunately yes - they only allow so many people in at any given time - 9 was the only slot available - that said, I might get there for 9.45 and say my train was delayed
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Cheers
    My son has been travelling in to London from Tonbridge Mondays and Tuesdays. gets one about 7.15 and there are about 5 people per carriage. Pre lockdown every seat would have been taken onve it left Tonbridge. Service has been fine, just the occasional 10 minute delay. I know this isn't the Dartford line but it might be indicative. It may be best to go in a bit earlier than you might have done.

Good luck - with SE trains you will always need it!
  • Options
    Good to see that SE are still running a reduced service even though we are now out of the national lockdown. 

Does anyone know if that's going to change, or will they be using Kent in Tier 3 as an excuse to run packed trains through SE London? 
  • Options
    No idea but I'm on one now and it's pretty damn busy.
  • Options
    Good to see that SE are still running a reduced service even though we are now out of the national lockdown. 

Does anyone know if that's going to change, or will they be using Kent in Tier 3 as an excuse to run packed trains through SE London? 
    Carrying on until further notice according to their Tweets. Apparently easier to manage any staff sick or isolating. 
  • Options
    Wilma said:

Carrying on until further notice according to their Tweets. Apparently easier to manage any staff sick or isolating. 
    Would be easier still for them if they could run trains that didnt need to stop at all of those pesky stations. Or even easier if they didnt have to run any trains at all.
  • Options
    Wilma said:

Wankers. Though I guess if the majority of their staff are coming from areas of high cases it makes *some* sense.

What I don't understand is why they are running some trains at 8 carriages when they normally run them at 10. Any reason for this? 
  • Options
    Someone on Twitter did suggest that they don't run any trains from Kent into London but Southeastern said they have to provide a service for key workers. They could make it so that only some trains run in Kent, then fast to London, and the rest only run in London, so us South Londoners don't have to mix with those dirty, germ ridden, Tier 3 travellers :-)
  • Options

Because of police dealing with an incident at Plumstead, the line towards London is currently blocked.

Southeastern Customer Advice

Woolwich line trains towards London are currently diverted via alternative routes, delayed or revised whilst police deal with the incident. Woolwich line trains towards Slade Green / Dartford can run on their normal route but may be delayed or revised.

UPDATE: Woolwich line trains cannot currently run towards Cannon Street / Charing Cross because of ongoing police incident at #Plumstead.
  • Options

And the train was 5 minutes late as well!