Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jose Riga

Comments

• Options
    He has made a few mistakes at points, but then every manager does and thus far he's got far more right than wrong. I distinctly remember many on here and even certain press figures suggesting he was just a Duchatelet toady who would flood the team with Liege rejects and subpar loanees, which completely failed to happen, and frankly he's got the same players CP was lumbered with for the most part playing much better football than we had seen earlier this season, and the results have followed.

Hamer; Solly, Fox, Dervite, Morrison; Harriott, Poyet, Cousins, Jackson; Sordell, Church is an 11 available to Powell at the beginning of the season, and despite a tough season and a very demanding schedule Riga managed to get them to come from behind a two goal deficit to win. That is impressive.
  • Options
    Harriott and Sordell were not knackered from the Bolton game, and they were instrumental in our fightback at Hillsborough. Riga has dome especially well to recognise the toll so many games close together has had, and he has managed player exhaustion well.
    Mind you, how come Poyet has such an engine, and never seems knackered...is he mortal?
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Harriott and Sordell were not knackered from the Bolton game, and they were instrumental in our fightback at Hillsborough. Riga has dome especially well to recognise the toll so many games close together has had, and he has managed player exhaustion well.
    Mind you, how come Poyet has such an engine, and never seems knackered...is he mortal?

Just the point that I have been making. As for Gus junior, he is just different gravy. Just hope we can hang onto him for next term.
  • Options

seth plum said:

Just the point that I have been making. As for Gus junior, he is just different gravy. Just hope we can hang onto him for next term.
    .... but even he came off early against Barnsley and to good effect based on what Poyet himself says in the Bolton programme. Another good decision from a thinking, analytical and confident Manager.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

If we stay up (and it's still an "if") he'll deserve whatever bonus Duchatelet promised him. We were in big, big trouble and he's done a remarkable job (so far) to turn it around.

It's worth remembering that we started the game yesterday without any network players or any players signed from elsewhere since the new Owner arrived; everybody who started was available for selection on the opening day of the season against Bournemouth, but we were without Kermorgant, Stephens and Cameron Stewart. For me that puts into perspective what an incredible result it was yesterday.

If Riga stays (and, again, it's an "if" - he may not want the job, for example) then I have no doubt whatsoever that the players will improve under him and that we'll play more attractive, passing football. Moreover, I think we might keep players, including Diego Poyet, who might otherwise have left. Whether, ultimately, the football would be more effective than under Powell, leading to a better overall outcome, is hard to say. Only time might tell.

PS I recall reading somewhere a comment by a Begian journalist which said that Duchatelet makes decisions which are unpopular with fans, but that always end up being right. I thought at the time that this was nonsense (which it must be because nobody makes decisions which are always right), but if we survive this myth will gain yet more currency and, more importantly, further fuel Duchatelet's confidence in his vision, for better or for worse.

Good post.

I think the ‘elephant in the room’ – that only the preseason will possibly prove one way or the other (if we stay up) – is what CP identified as the outstanding areas of disagreement over his contract 5 days before he was sacked: "we have to agree the football side, players and recruitment moving forward".

I think that central control over player recruitment plus movement of player's within the 'network' is central to Duchatelet’s supposed 'strategy' (which has not been over successful so far - 6 players recruited but only 2 deemed good enough to play by Powell and Riga). So, whether Riga, his assistant Karel Fraeye or someone else is in charge next season, how new players are recruited and by who will give us a good indication of our future - i.e. does the manager/coach identify them (subject to a budget) or will he only be 'coaching' the players provided to him?

• Options
    Whoever the manager is going to be next season i hope they are appointed early on close season so they can build the team they want. I like Riga and honestly wouldn't mind him taking over next season, but i suspect he won't with rumours rife he prefers the Academy role. I'd prefer a tried and tested manager and i don't mind which country they are from.

Well done to Riga, he has done well so far. I like the way he has played and i like that he isn't afraid to change it around during the game. He has had to play a lot of games in a short space of time, manage fatigue as best he can (though out young central midfielders have not needed a rest) and managed to get results. The Wednesday result was big boost coming from 2 down and turning that into a win. Really didn't see that coming.

Season far from over though on one result, 3 tough games to go, and we are still relying on other teams messing up below us. Enjoying the moment from the weekend, but its still a moment, in a very poor season. Will be relieved when i see "R"'s next to the names of 3 clubs in the league table that are not us.
  • Options

As much as i'm impressed, i don't buy this 'better football' stuff as being down to Riga.

The style of football seemed to marginally change on the sale of Kermorgant. Defenders lost their (effective) out ball and were forced to play with a different approach.

But to a greater extent, i put it down to the emergence of Poyet. We started attempting to play differently in Powell's last batch of games, and it is (in my opinion) mainly down to our best player's key attributes in being a holding midfielder in picking the ball up from defence, and keeping possession. He alone pretty much sets the tone to how we play.

I'm sure as a European Riga's preferred style will be one of ball retention, and if he is given the summer he would have an emphasised style impact, but not now, when they have been barely training other than light drills, recovery and shape work.

Agree totally.

Not knocking Riga or pining for Powell but I think the change is as much if not more to the changes in players than managers/coaches.

I like Riga. He comes over well in interviews but remember that he and his selections were less popular after the Barnsley defeat.

• Options
    Several players have come out and said he's tried to change the way we play , I.e better football and play out from the back and you can definatly see the difference .
  • Options
    No way is it Poyet who has saved us single handedly. Give me a break.

He's been good but it has been Riga, just admit it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Powell six wina from thirty games. Riga five wins from thirteen games. Whether Riga has changed us to a better passing team I don't know. But he has got us winning more matches which I will settle for.
  • Options
    But a good manager adapts to what he has, and that's what Riga has done, the unknown is what Powell might have done without Kermorgant as the default ball out, I'm not 100% sure he would have adapted the style as much, we were pretty direct at Sheffield United with Tudgay used as the out ball option
  • Options
    What seems to be another good thing is the players like him... Of course they're not going to care who the Manager is so long as they're playing but two examples have come to light where the players are happy under him and who havent revolted after the Powell sacking (who was equally liked)

(1) Dervite.. He got his fair share of Football under Powell but has said how he likes things are done under Riga
    (2) Poyet.. In the programme against Bolton he said how he was worried he may be dropped back to the U21s but is pleased how Riga has come in, has believed in him like with the previous regime and has got him doing a few things differently.

Of course my point in regards to this is of course Contracts... If Riga is kept then there might be a better chance of keeping some of our Out of Contract players
  • Options
    Where have I referred back to him ?
    Your the one that actually mentioned him ?
  • Options
    Yann897 said:

Move on, he's gone.

• Options
    Agree to an extent on the football front. We out-passed QPR and played some fantastic stuff at Hillsborough in the FA Cup. Powell was without a doubt changing his style of play in the wake of the Yann departure.

However, the key difference between the two is in mentality/approach. For whatever reason, Powell was more cautious with his subs and set-up than Riga has been. And I think that has been seen in the results. Whereas we have taken a few hammerings under Riga, we've also taken more wins. With Powell we had alot more draws and the games were generally tighter.

So yeah, Riga has brought a new approach. And it's worked. No complaints if he's given the same job next season.
  • Options

Yann897 said:

Move on, he's gone.

Very funny , anyway I moved on the day he went and haven't looked back and neither has the team seeing as we have only gone up in the table under sir Jose Riga .
  • Options
    I would also say we've over played from the back sometimes, but that's no bad thing when adapting to new manager, and suspect that's the style we'll see if Riga stays, which I hope he does.
  • Options
    I think we all know Riga was given the short term job of keeping us up and there was probably a nice little reward promised if he did. If he does – and it is now likely he will even if it isn’t 100% - everybody will have another look at things. I get the impression that Riga has enjoyed himself and he might be persuaded to stay on. If not, and he moves to the youth development, he would be a useful person to come in if our next manager doesn’t work out.

He has had some tricky calls to make. It was very important he picked what he thought was the right team, involved Powell’s coaching staff who knew the players, didn’t alienate the players – many of whom were brought in by Powell, ensured a small squad was managed correctly in relation to fatigue with a very demanding itinerary and got frustrated supporters quickly on board. I think he gets a big tick in all of these key areas.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pointless debating what we would have done under Powell.
    I could reference how Powell got the team playing for the final 8-10 games of last season and ask why not do that again.

Riga comes across as a good guy, and in my opinion deserves to have a go at the job next season even though he was a crap manager last week and a great manager this morning. Apparently.
  • Options
    Riga has done a good job (so far) on a firefighting situation, match after match, with little time for drastic coaching changes, indeed this week the gap between games (Monday to Saturday) is the longest break we've had!
  • Options
    Three decisions were made at the top which have led us to where we are:
    Sell Kermorgant
    Sell Stephens
    Bring in Riga and Fraeye
    None of this was luck or random and add to that new contracts for Jackson and Wiggins plus a rumour of an offer sitting in front of Fox and one can see a pattern emerging...and a new footballing side emerging from the same squad.
    Sure we lost vs Barnsley but that was the only result which annoyed - the exception to a pattern of what 12 games where we are now securing c.1.4 points per game.
    I am very clear on what I see but am willing to accept that we must secure divisional status. And at the same time let's see how a Riga team fares vs the likes of Watford and Blackburn - now that will be a real test for these are the mid table clubs we need to compete against next season to drive through to the top half of the table.
    Duchatelet has said the right things about the Valley; done the right thing with season ticket prices; and appointed a coach who is ten years older than Powell and with whom he has worked before.
    It is possible but certainly not 100% that this new Belgian top table of Duchatelet, Riga, Meire and Fraeye have created the conditions which encourage Poyet Fox and other top academy players to sign up for three years? If they sign and we add the right strikers then we should be cooking on gas!
    We have spent this season messing around at the bottom of the table "competing" with clubs who average gates of 10,000. Under Riga I believe we can compete with those clubs averaging 15-20,000
    PS unfortunate that Sordell has another year at Bolton else we might have picked him up on the cheap!
  • Options
    Yann897 said:

Several players have come out and said he's tried to change the way we play , I.e better football and play out from the back and you can definatly see the difference .

Yes, I thought the Dervite interview was very telling in this respect, in fact he went as close to saying that he much preferred playing under Riga, as he could, whilst remaining diplomatic.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I suspect JR was given three targets for this season...

1) Keep Charlton in The Championship.
    2) Establish which players are worth offering new deals to for next season.
    3) Establish which youngsters are match ready, thus negating the need for lots of new & potentially expensive signings.

I think he's probably near enough there on points 2 & 3 at the very least.

• Options
    edited April 2014

As much as i'm impressed, i don't buy this 'better football' stuff as being down to Riga.

The style of football seemed to marginally change on the sale of Kermorgant. Defenders lost their (effective) out ball and were forced to play with a different approach.

But to a greater extent, i put it down to the emergence of Poyet. We started attempting to play differently in Powell's last batch of games, and it is (in my opinion) mainly down to our best player's key attributes in being a holding midfielder in picking the ball up from defence, and keeping possession. He alone pretty much sets the tone to how we play.

I'm sure as a European Riga's preferred style will be one of ball retention, and if he is given the summer he would have an emphasised style impact, but not now, when they have been barely training other than light drills, recovery and shape work.

Agree totally.

Not knocking Riga or pining for Powell but I think the change is as much if not more to the changes in players than managers/coaches.

I like Riga. He comes over well in interviews but remember that he and his selections were less popular after the Barnsley defeat.

Lol He was less popular at 8 minutes past 3 yesterday. I am pretty certain on the match thread there were a few F off Riga's. Small margins. From 8 minutes past 3 tp 5 o clock we had gone from Riga taking us down to Riga saving us probably.

@micks1950 its not a supposed strategy , its a strategy, we may not agree with it, it maybe crap but it is a strategy!!
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Agree totally.

Lol He was less popular at 8 minutes past 3 yesterday. I am pretty certain on the match thread there were a few F off Riga's. Small margins. From 8 minutes past 3 tp 5 o clock we had gone from Riga taking us down to Riga saving us probably.

@micks1950 its not a supposed strategy , its a strategy, we may not agree with it, it maybe crap but it is a strategy!!
    You are probably right - but I can't recall it being clearly spelt out by RD - hence 'supposed'.

Any thoughts on it's likely success going forward - as I posted, so far 6 players recruited but only 2 deemed good enough to play by Powell and Riga?
  • Options
    micks1950 said:

Kap10 said:

Agree totally.

You are probably right - but I can't recall it being clearly spelt out by RD - hence 'supposed'.

Any thoughts on it's likely success going forward - as I posted, so far 6 players recruited but only 2 deemed good enough to play by Powell and Riga?
    Its hard to judge the success or otherwise of the network model based on the Jan transfer window. Of the 6 incoming, the only risk was recruiting Pete the pole, who is young enough to still come good either here or elsewhere in the network. The other 5 from SL and Upjest were sunk costs and would have been sitting on the bench wherever they had been. In fact Astit and Gucci are getting more football here than they would have at SL. You would expect that in the summer you would have the luxury of time to look at players and determine if they were up to the mark for Championship football. Personally I think the only other one signed that was expected to play was Thuram, but Hamers form and fitness has kept him out of the team. The rest were just signed to add depth to the squad
  • Options
    micks1950 said:

Kap10 said:

Agree totally.

It is to be hoped that some important lessons were learnt in January and I'd expect these to be reinforced by Riga's feedback. Be interesting to see how those lessons are applied in the summer.

In the European model the coach focuses on coaching and developing the players and on tactics etc. That said, my intuition is that under Duchatelet's ownership the approach will be collegiate with Riga (or a new Head Coach if he goes) having an input, but not the final say, necessarily. It seems to me that there is nothing wrong with this if you have the right people and provided they communicate effectively and respect eachother.

I imagine Chris Powell wanted more control and more visibility than Duchatelet could or would give him.
  • Options
    Yes six players recruited but in a hurry. Perhaps thirty players recruited since June 2011? Some stay, some not renewed... And any on longer term contracts not good enough for next season loaned out to Spain, Hungary etc.
    What the Begian team learn from their first 100 days is vital to the success of summer player acquisition and retention.