Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jose Riga

Comments

• Options
    shine166 said:

Riga's next win (if it comes) will be his sixth of the season... With the same squad as Powell (less Stephens and Kermorgant)
    When Riga took over we were probably 50:50 for the drop. Now that is more like 5 or 10%
    Sure we have lost some games 3-0 to top teams but we have won five and secured 1.4 points per game. Only one nightmare result (Barnsley) on the way which I feel was balanced by yesterday.
    Loved what Powell did for our club but he was in a very difficult situation with new owner, matches postponed and new players...and simply couldn't get the wins needed.
    Whether he went for results or strategy or some of both, Riga has delivered a WLWL sequence with the odd draw which has taken us to 18th.

Amazing what you can do with the backing of your chairman.

Powell could have done himself a favour and picked up points... Hard to sack him if winning. The only extra backing Riga has had is being hired by RD, although I guess it's easier to blame rd than say powells football was awful and only 2 month later we are already playing better.

Because we had four games in hand due to a cup run? ;)

• Options

Nothing to do with the shocking 6 wins
    In 30 something games ? Do you presume we somehow would have won all the games in hand then ? Personally I think that stat is deceiving and without a cup run we would be in an even worse position.

I love Powell and was acting like a petulant child when he went, but I took my rose glasses off a few weeks back now.
  • Options

End of the day, if Parky was our manager at the time and RD sacked him and put Riga in charge, no1 would have complained.

We were bottom for a reason.

Not when we sacked Parkie!!!
  • Options
    shine166 said:

Nothing to do with the shocking 6 wins
    In 30 something games ? Do you presume we somehow would have won all the games in hand then ? Personally I think that stat is deceiving and without a cup run we would be in an even worse position.

I love Powell and was acting like a petulant child when he went, but I took my rose glasses off a few weeks back now.
    I don't presume anything, I was just playing devil's advocate!
  • Options
    What was the wins number under the reign of TJ and MS for powelly
  • Options

What was the wins number under the reign of TJ and MS for powelly

Powell success-ratio as manager:

41,61 % Wins
    25,47 % Draw
    32,92 % Losses

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/chris-powell/aufeinenblick/trainer_15701.html
  • Options
    Time to move on from Powell.
  • Options
    I think JR has done a good job so far. The players seem to like him and I'd happily see him take the job for real.

RD may be a bit different but keeping some of the old - guard coaching team around whilst getting a head coach he trusts in place seems sensible. Some mistakes over player acquisition probably driven by a lack of knowledge of English football but it can only get better with time.

Just hope we stay up and get some contracts signed.
  • Options
    Riga needs that 6th win in the last three games to keep us up. That will nail all of the arguments. The final table will not lie.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Impossible to say that no we would not of stayed up under Powell or yes we would

I think we would of done, but as i say its impossible to know the truth.

But to sack a manager with 41% win ratio is appalling
  • Options
    edited April 2014

Impossible to say that no we would not of stayed up under Powell or yes we would

I think we would of done, but as i say its impossible to know the truth.

But to sack a manager with 41% win ratio is appalling

If the 41% win ratio is in the season he was sacked i agree.

In my opinion he looked lost at times this season and was put out of his misery. Overall he done a good job but it was time for a change.
  • Options
    when SCP took over Parky he won only 6 games out of 23 , Parky had won 9 in his 22 that season so we should never have sacked Parky or got Riga in instead of Parky

• Options
    He looked lost in games 29-38 of last season with 2 wins 2 draws and 6 losses but the final 8 games of 5 wins and 3 draws made him the best thing since sliced bread
  • Options
    edited April 2014
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Just started reading JR's notes in the Bolton progam. Found myself reading it in my head in a bad northern European accent .... broken English the lot ... weird!
  • Options
    edited April 2014
  • Options

Because 5 of CP's last 7 league games were away?
  • Options
    Felt really sorry for Powell towards the end. He wasn't his usual self, he looked miserable, worried and under a lot of pressure. Ideally the best thing for him would have been some time out, to take stock and think things through clearly, but that's not possible in football unfortunately. Riga coming in has been like a breath of fresh air and I think that feeds through to the players. CP is a thinker and he'll come back stronger and better.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm afraid that anyone who can't see a difference in the style of football since CP has left, is deluded. JR has brought in a mind set of ball retention. OK, some times it looks negative when we pass the ball backwards and forwards across the back line, but you must also consider the standard of players we have. After all, I don't think anyone is talking about Morrison and Dervite breaking into their respective international squads for the World Cup?

And it's a much better education for the young players like Fox, coming through from the academy.
  • Options
    The evening std tonight says thay our overall win rate this year has been 26%, our highest league position 15th and we've not scored in 20 games so far.

I think we needed a change!
  • Options
    I don't think deluded is the right term to be honest the style of play is not to dis similar what is evident is that Riga would rather lose than draw

Which makes for a more open game
  • Options
    Have now listened to Riga's post Sheffield Wednesday match interview. Obviously, it's all very straightforward when you've won, but he is interesting to listen to and rarely seems to use the banal rhetoric produced my many Managers.

When asked what he said to the team at half-time he explained that players are "looking for solutions and that's what we try to give them". A cynic might say that this is just another form of platitude, but it does seem to me that a thoughtful approach which helps the players to learn and improve, both individually and collectively, is likely to be better long term than the more traditional hair dryer treatment.
  • Options
    I think his programme notes tonight are spot on
  • Options

What does he say?

• Options

What does rd say ?
  • Options
    Yes, what?
  • Options
    Praises sordell and hopes the fans understand errors come from young players

RD also says contracts will be tied up once champ status is confirmed
  • Options

Praises sordell and hopes the fans understand errors come from young players

RD also says contracts will be tied up once champ status is confirmed

I like the last bit.