Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jose Riga

Comments

• Options
    His comments from yesterday's post match interview about the academy , IMO pointed towards his involvement with it next season.
    Bit of a weird thing to say when we have had at least 3/4 academy players playing all season , so to come out and say the win was 'made in charlton' is a strange comment.
  • Options
    On Riga, I'm one of the ones still mourning the loss of Powell, but Riga does seem much more prepared to pick a player based on what is in front of him rather than history or reputation. Riga seems more likely to stick a youth player/squad player in and more importantly do it with confidence, whereas with CP I always got the impression that he played some players very reluctantly and that must have transmitted to the player and so knocked his confidence.

Also the "strategy" negates what I thought of as a key strength of CP's time with us, player recruitment, so Riga is better fit as his strengths and experience are more geared to getting the best out of what he's given.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

micks1950 said:

Kap10 said:

As much as i'm impressed, i don't buy this 'better football' stuff as being down to Riga.

The style of football seemed to marginally change on the sale of Kermorgant. Defenders lost their (effective) out ball and were forced to play with a different approach.

But to a greater extent, i put it down to the emergence of Poyet. We started attempting to play differently in Powell's last batch of games, and it is (in my opinion) mainly down to our best player's key attributes in being a holding midfielder in picking the ball up from defence, and keeping possession. He alone pretty much sets the tone to how we play.

I'm sure as a European Riga's preferred style will be one of ball retention, and if he is given the summer he would have an emphasised style impact, but not now, when they have been barely training other than light drills, recovery and shape work.

Agree totally.

Not knocking Riga or pining for Powell but I think the change is as much if not more to the changes in players than managers/coaches.

I like Riga. He comes over well in interviews but remember that he and his selections were less popular after the Barnsley defeat.

Lol He was less popular at 8 minutes past 3 yesterday. I am pretty certain on the match thread there were a few F off Riga's. Small margins. From 8 minutes past 3 tp 5 o clock we had gone from Riga taking us down to Riga saving us probably.

@micks1950 its not a supposed strategy , its a strategy, we may not agree with it, it maybe crap but it is a strategy!!
    You are probably right - but I can't recall it being clearly spelt out by RD - hence 'supposed'.

Any thoughts on it's likely success going forward - as I posted, so far 6 players recruited but only 2 deemed good enough to play by Powell and Riga?
    Its hard to judge the success or otherwise of the network model based on the Jan transfer window. Of the 6 incoming, the only risk was recruiting Pete the pole, who is young enough to still come good either here or elsewhere in the network. The other 5 from SL and Upjest were sunk costs and would have been sitting on the bench wherever they had been. In fact Astit and Gucci are getting more football here than they would have at SL. You would expect that in the summer you would have the luxury of time to look at players and determine if they were up to the mark for Championship football. Personally I think the only other one signed that was expected to play was Thuram, but Hamers form and fitness has kept him out of the team. The rest were just signed to add depth to the squad
    Financial 'risk' maybe - but what about the 'risk' of relegation that we faced when they were recruited (and still do)?

If it wasn't Charlton what would you think of the 'strategy' if it was another relegation threatened club that was bought by a multi-millionaire at the turn of the year who then recruited 6 new player's but only 2 were judged good enough to play by 2 different managers, leaving the rest of the squad playing 2 games a week and the club still in danger of the drop?

• Options
    Very cute strategy in fact - basically get the existing squad and management to bail themselves out if they want new contracts - Wiggins and Jackson rewarded so far. And don't try and "rescue" poor performance with expensive band aid solutions which might unsettle the existing crew.
    We as fans have had to experience the journey but Duchatelet clearly knew Riga might be available and we have seen the outcome... Same squad but mid table form.
    I am hoping the summer and next season is much more ambitious simply because I don't see much difference between us now and the likes of Ipswich, Forest, Bournemouth and Reading chasing that 6th place play off slot.
  • Options

Very cute strategy in fact - basically get the existing squad and management to bail themselves out if they want new contracts - Wiggins and Jackson rewarded so far. And don't try and "rescue" poor performance with expensive band aid solutions which might unsettle the existing crew.
    We as fans have had to experience the journey but Duchatelet clearly knew Riga might be available and we have seen the outcome... Same squad but mid table form.
    I am hoping the summer and next season is much more ambitious simply because I don't see much difference between us now and the likes of Ipswich, Forest, Bournemouth and Reading chasing that 6th place play off slot.

So recruiting 4 ‘duds’ out of 6 is a ‘cute strategy’ to "get the existing squad and management to bail themselves out if they want new contracts"?

On that logic wouldn’t it have been ‘cuter’ (and cheaper) not to recruit any new players at all?

• Options
    To take that literally recruiting no one, or even six duds is going to sink the ship...and very rapidly. Having spent 10-12m buying the club plus a reported 4m staying up bonus it is not logical to think Duchatelet wants to destroy value.
    I make it two first teamers, two on the bench and two nowhere to be seen.
    If Duchatelet was vindictive or trigger happy then Powell would have been gone day 1... Again that sinks the ship as most of us would have said wtf!
    Instead some decent players and the arrival of Poyet from nowhere gives him and us a chance. We might feel Powell was owed more... like a decent striker or two but Duchatelet wasn't here in 2007-10 watching the club fall 10 places a year and he wasn't around to witness the 2011/12 turnaround.
    In the end, slightly better results and a decent performance against Sheffield United would have extended Powell's reign.
    I won't revisit that time as it is covered elsewhere and we will all have more perspective over the summer... but results and team selection since that game have shown we had a team in there somewhere, at least for half the games!
    I expect a much better effort on players - retention and acquisitions because it makes commercial sense and we are about to let go a lot of players. If they don't improve the squad and retain the best players then they miss the chance of our best finish for years next season. (assuming we stay up)
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Harriott and Sordell were not knackered from the Bolton game, and they were instrumental in our fightback at Hillsborough. Riga has dome especially well to recognise the toll so many games close together has had, and he has managed player exhaustion well.
    Mind you, how come Poyet has such an engine, and never seems knackered...is he mortal?

There was an interview with him in the last Valley Review and he said he didn't feel tired at all when asked about the fixture congestion. Having said that and to be fair to the rest of the squad he has played less games than most of them this season.
  • Options

To take that literally recruiting no one, or even six duds is going to sink the ship...and very rapidly. Having spent 10-12m buying the club plus a reported 4m staying up bonus it is not logical to think Duchatelet wants to destroy value.
    If Duchatelet was vindictive or trigger happy then Powell would have been gone day 1... Again that sinks the ship as most of us would have said wtf!
    Instead some decent players and the arrival of Poyet from nowhere gives him and us a chance. We might feel Powell was owed more... like a decent striker or two but Duchatelet wasn't here in 2007-10 watching the club fall 10 places a year and he wasn't around to witness the 2011/12 turnaround.
    In the end, slightly better results and a decent performance against Sheffield United would have extended Powell's reign.
    I won't revisit that time as it is covered elsewhere and we will all have more perspective over the summer... but results and team selection since that game have shown we had a team in there somewhere, at least for half the games!
    I expect a much better effort on players - retention and acquisitions because it makes commercial sense and we are about to let go a lot of players. If they don't improve the squad and retain the best players then they miss the chance of our best finish for years next season. (assuming we stay up)

It was Powell that gave Poyet his debut though.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

What I was taking ‘literally’ was your reply to my post where you say that the recruitment of 6 new player's of which only 2 were judged good enough to play by 2 different managers was a “Very cute strategy….basically get the existing squad and management to bail themselves out if they want new contracts” – not sure how else I could have taken it?

As for your claim that “If Duchatelet was vindictive or trigger happy then Powell would have been gone day 1”, I’m reluctant to seem to fail to ‘move on’ (and upset Henry) – but if you’re right why did RD praise Powell in his first major interview on February 20th and then enter negotiations to renew his contract only to sack him on March 11th – following your logic we’d have to conclude that if he’s not ‘trigger happy’ then he must be devious?

• Options
    micks1950 said:

What I was taking ‘literally’ was your reply to my post where you say that the recruitment of 6 new player's of which only 2 were judged good enough to play by 2 different managers was a “Very cute strategy….basically get the existing squad and management to bail themselves out if they want new contracts” – not sure how else I could have taken it?

As for your claim that “If Duchatelet was vindictive or trigger happy then Powell would have been gone day 1”, I’m reluctant to seem to fail to ‘move on’ (and upset Henry) – but if you’re right why did RD eulogise Powell in his first major interview on February 20th and then enter negotiations to renew his contract only to sack him on March 11th – following your logic we’d have to conclude that if he’s not ‘trigger happy’ then he must be devious?

It's pretty obvious Powell wasn't sacked because of results, regardless of what Duchatelet says.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And even then Koc was hardly a dud, was said soon as he signed that he was here to play for the u21s. Clearly it's more about benefiting the player and/or the network, but he wasn't/isn't a first team signing that hasn't worked out.

As for PP I saw him a few weeks ago and while he didn't look any better than Pigott or Smith it's too early to write him off. He could get stronger and if his finishing was a little better he'd have scored a goal or two. Might never happen for him but he could just need time.
  • Options
    At 8 minutes past 3 yesterday, Riga was the biggest clown around....I can't say I'm fully sold yet after an unlikely but brilliant fightback. Amongst the good, there have been some shocking team selections, tactics and performances... and I don't think we're good enough to finish midtable over the course of a season with this squad (not Riga's fault obviously). But....the results have been better, there have been some good team and individual performances and I do feel he has earned a crack at next season, as long as he signs better than Petrucci in the summer!
  • Options
    Jan signings are normally shit if you don't spend proper money invariably they are players not wanted by other teams and are let go easily

Summer signings are the ones to judge
  • Options
    If Anil Koc turns out to be an any good footballer in this country...well I won't tattoo his name on my arse, but I will faint clean away.
  • Options

What 4 duds

'Duds' was simply shorthand to avoid having to type out again that of the 6 new player's initially recruited by RD only 2 have been judged good enough to play by 2 different managers despite the rest of the squad having to play 2 games a week and the club still in danger of the drop.

• Options

As much as i'm impressed, i don't buy this 'better football' stuff as being down to Riga.

The style of football seemed to marginally change on the sale of Kermorgant. Defenders lost their (effective) out ball and were forced to play with a different approach.

But to a greater extent, i put it down to the emergence of Poyet. We started attempting to play differently in Powell's last batch of games, and it is (in my opinion) mainly down to our best player's key attributes in being a holding midfielder in picking the ball up from defence, and keeping possession. He alone pretty much sets the tone to how we play.

I'm sure as a European Riga's preferred style will be one of ball retention, and if he is given the summer he would have an emphasised style impact, but not now, when they have been barely training other than light drills, recovery and shape work.

Quite a few of the players have already said he's got them trying to play on the floor, and that a lot of the training drills are passing/possession based games.
  • Options
    I think I read somewhere that Riga has not taken any training sessions so far, is that true?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Disagree AA Reza nego turham have all enabled depth in the match day squad

And patched over a thread bear squad
  • Options
    We are speculating with the benefit of hindsight on the motivation and execution. In Duchatelet's defence one can say he and others were new to CAFC and were slow to solve when we as fans watching this season compared to last time knew the issues with 100% certainty. Except it appears we have been proved wrong! What is over the top would be to say six duds which was a line argued by some at the time along with conspiracy theories about Thuram...again I won't revisit the detail.

What I'm being very clear on is that things are appearing to work - results, football, fans ratings of players (maybe results driven). And that RD was right not to throw millions at the problem.

In February Richard Murray stated we had several loan targets in mind... But they all went to other clubs! It might have been devious but I prefer to say it was a cock up - a simple and very important failure of execution which must be addressed in the summer
    So what I am stating (with a certain lack of sensitivity!) is that Duchatelet did not throw millions papering over the cracks.
    At the same time I was writing articles on the cup money which adds up to £3m if you lose a semi final at Wembley... So why not spend some of it?!

What is blindingly obvious to me is that Duchatelet bought CAFC for its potential including the fact that the management and 15 players were out of contract this summer.
    So far he has sold two players and renewed two and of course changed the manager. And brought in a couple of decent players.
    This summer we should think in terms of treble those numbers! and perhaps more changes in coaching... and rumour has it the Academy too.
    Perhaps six players renewed, six gone and six new players in? As Duchatelet has his own men in and should know the club and championship much better I think it makes sense to expect a decent outcome... But we are unlikely to see every one of the best players retained. And we are very unlikely to see him explain the detail before execution - he simply doesn't do that!
    Call it blind faith or rational following of behaviour patterns but I suggest the best way to understand where we are going is to look at Standard Liege progress over the last 4 years... Good players sold at the start, coaches changed but now top of the League albeit drawing many play-off games so who knows if they stay top?
    As others have stated (while I drafted this) they need to get it right this summer and will be judged on the squad kicking off in August.

The margins are narrow in this division and I sincerely believe Duchatelet wants to add value. As I have already posted, Riga has brought us mid table form - so what would it take to get us competing for the top six? We are in a far, far better position than many mid table clubs to make that leap because of our academy, all of the players leaving, and the Staprix European / African scouting network. Most importantly Duchatelet has the cash and has trodden this path before albeit in another country.
    I know all this might sound over the top and next thing I'll be getting Duchatelet tattooed on my arse! What I'm actually saying is that instead of criticising for mistakes, I am challenging him to deliver value for our club. These chances only come round every few years and this summer they need to grab it with both hands!
  • Options
    Dylan100 said:

Don't get me wrong still miss CP.

Don't call him Miss.
  • Options
    Or this Kev ;0)
  • Options

But the 4 (of 6) players initially recruited by RD that haven’t been judged good enough to play by 2 different managers are Thuram, Koc, Nego and Parzyszek (‘Polish Pete’).

You posted earlier that Koc and PP are “Young and for the future”, that Nego “was competent enough”, and Thuram “is nowhere near as bad as people made out”.

Hardly ringing endorsements – but the point is they were recruited in January when we were already flirting with relegation and 2 of our best players had left in debatable circumstances, yet neither Powell or Riga have considered them good enough ‘patches over a thread bear squad’ to play them, despite our fixture congestion and other players tiring or playing with injuries or illness.
  • Options
    micks1950 said:

micks1950 said:

As for your claim that “If Duchatelet was vindictive or trigger happy then Powell would have been gone day 1”, I’m reluctant to seem to fail to ‘move on’ (and upset Henry) – but if you’re right why did RD eulogise Powell in his first major interview on February 20th and then enter negotiations to renew his contract only to sack him on March 11th – following your logic we’d have to conclude that if he’s not ‘trigger happy’ then he must be devious?

It's pretty obvious Powell wasn't sacked because of results, regardless of what Duchatelet says.
    Again, I'm reluctant to go over this again, but Duchatelet didn't say that Powell was sacked because of results. What he said on March 11th was:

“There was good progress, but we could not reach an agreement over the club’s football strategy going forward”

which mirrors what Powell said 5 days earlier:

"we have to agree the football side, players and recruitment moving forward”

Following the Sheffield United result it clearly would have been much easier for RD if he had said that Powell was sacked because of results, league position, late substitutions or whatever - as many fans seem to choose to believe. So the fact that he didn't say that I think should at least raise questions in people's minds about what it was about "players and recruitment moving forward” that Powell couldn't accept in order to sign a new contract. Particularly, as I posted earlier, in the light of RD's 'recruitment' so far - 6 new player's of which only 2 have been judged good enough to play by 2 different managers.
    You've been quite selective with your highlighted comments there. He did also outline the defeat at Leicester as a reason. Well Riga has also lost 3-0 to Derby, Burnley and Brighton on that basis.
  • Options

Despite not using Nego when there's clearly been lack of options at right back. Morrison was preferred at full back over Nego when Solly and Wilson were both out. That says it all to me.
  • Options
    Riga's next win (if it comes) will be his sixth of the season... With the same squad as Powell (less Stephens and Kermorgant)
    When Riga took over we were probably 50:50 for the drop. Now that is more like 5 or 10%
    Sure we have lost some games 3-0 to top teams but we have won five and secured 1.4 points per game. Only one nightmare result (Barnsley) on the way which I feel was balanced by yesterday.
    Loved what Powell did for our club but he was in a very difficult situation with new owner, matches postponed and new players...and simply couldn't get the wins needed.
    Whether he went for results or strategy or some of both, Riga has delivered a WLWL sequence with the odd draw which has taken us to 18th.
  • Options

Riga's next win (if it comes) will be his sixth of the season... With the same squad as Powell (less Stephens and Kermorgant)
    When Riga took over we were probably 50:50 for the drop. Now that is more like 5 or 10%
    Sure we have lost some games 3-0 to top teams but we have won five and secured 1.4 points per game. Only one nightmare result (Barnsley) on the way which I feel was balanced by yesterday.
    Loved what Powell did for our club but he was in a very difficult situation with new owner, matches postponed and new players...and simply couldn't get the wins needed.
    Whether he went for results or strategy or some of both, Riga has delivered a WLWL sequence with the odd draw which has taken us to 18th.

Amazing what you can do with the backing of your chairman.
  • Options
    Jose Riga has been the signing of the season so far.