Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton V Watford|Championship|29 April 2104|Preview, Views, News & Line Ups

The Introduction

So here we are, the penultimate game of the season and still all to play for.

It's not a "must win" or even a "must draw". We could stay up even if we lose both of our remaining games but it is our hands.

The permutations are myriad but it boils down to if we win this game we stay up. That is all the players, coaches and fans need to, and have to, focus on.

The Opposition

Defeat at the hands of Blackburn has only reinforced the fact that this current side isn't good enough to beat the decent top ten sides in this division on a regular basis. We have beaten teams in the bottom half (bar Barnsley) since the turn of the year and if we catch a top half team on a bad run or out of sorts (Forest/Leeds) we can turn them over too.

No great insight or shock revelations there. Thankfully Watford are a bottom half of the table side, just, and no longer have anything but pride to play for.

The original "network" club they have failed to recover from the disappointing (for them and us) play-off final defeat last May and have hovered outside the top six most of the season.

They score goals galore (their tally of 72 is the third highest in the league and more than twice that of Charlton) but they also let a few in (at 57 only 3 less than Charlton).

Troy Deeney already has 23 goals this term and will be looking for more still against a porous Addicks defense. Watford will be missing their experienced international Italian defender Marco Cassetti after his dismissal in Saturday's 4 - 2 defeat.

The Line Up

Can Chris Solly's knees carrying him through three games in a week? If so he plays. If not then Lawrie Wilson will cover. Otherwise the defence remains as v Blackburn as there is only Richard Wood as a realistic alternative.

Poyet and Jackson seem to be permanent placements for Jose Riga but the boss will have to decide where he plays Cousins and if he starts AA. The Swede has the passing but does he have the stamina or willingness to track back against a pacy and mobile Hornets side?

Upfront Marvin Sordell seems to have finally found the belief in his own ability that has been lacking all season. If that is due to confidence from scoring at Wednesday, Riga's influence, luck or just the prospect of having to return to Bolton (or even all of the above) we'll never really know.

What we can say is that an on-form Marvin is a real asset to the side and so has to start. Who, if anyone, partners him is anyone's guess. Reza and Church were both less than impressive in the eyes of the Preview Towers staff last time out but by the time they came on Blackburn were already in control. We expect a rested Obika to start in a 4-4-2 as Riga goes for the win

Hamer

Wilson Morrison Dervite Fox

Cousins Poyet Jackson Harriot

Obika Sordell

The Prediction

1 - 1 and the tension carries on to Saturday

The Thank You

Taking the midweek gig was meant to be the easy preview option but the weather and the FA Cup soon put paid to that. So thanks for everyone who bothered to read the previews, all those who commented and the few who clicked on "like". Why not have a go yourself next season?

Live, love, laugh and be happy

Comments

• Options
    Wilson for solly
    Reza for harriott

2-1 charlton
  • Options
    Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Options

Got to happen at some point....I'm going for October 2020 :-)
  • Options
    Need the 3 points from a personal health perspective. So nailed on 2-0 loss.
  • Options
    Watford on the beach so this is our big chance.

Sordell on song and will open the scoring in a 2-0 win.

Should be a decent crowd and we need to get behind the team but I'm looking forward to it
  • Options
    There is anew police drama starting on BBC at 9pm on Tuesday 29th April the title 'HAPPY VALLEY' must be a sign. 3-1 to JR's Red and White Army.
  • Options
    Really have no idea. What Charlton will turn up? Will Watford be on the beach or come to round off in style? Will Jose pick a proper right sided midfield player, make Astrid do a full 90 minutes for a change? Who knows...just hoping, and praying, that we can secure 3 points somehow, anyhow. Please Charlton, time to step up, let us enjoy Blackpool and look forward to a progressive close season.
  • Options
    2-1 addicks, match thread from 7 pm............COYR's
  • Options
    I just hope a defeat doesn't harm our goal difference too much. That's what'll do for us in the end.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A draw would still be a very good result as it "protects" us if Millwall only draw next week. I just hope that the four goal goal difference swing with Blackpool last Saturday doesn't come back to haunt us, as if don't win against Watford they will only need a draw next week to stay above us. Prediction 1-1.
  • Options
    We need an early goal, big time!
  • Options
    Almost a whole season and we've only won one game by more than one clear goal. Time for another one of these and this is the game.
  • Options
    mrbligh said:

great work on the season's previews HI (and everyone else) but I disagree with the second line of this one.

this is a 100% bona fide must win game. I don't wanna go down, win this and we shall not.

I also urge every single one of you who can get to the valley to make sure you are there. lungs ready. buy a ticket, check out the free ticket thread on here, contact the trust, rob a banker....just get there.

we need no booing our own players, no groaning at every mistake, no demoralising our own, just pure mental, fanatical, loud SUPPORT for our team.

I normally get into the ground just as we're kicking off but I am gonna make sure I'm in my seat 15 before kick off making as much noise as humanly possible and I hope that you lot can do the same.

we can do this, get involved people

2-1 Charlton

sums it up perfectly for me, forgot the rest of the season it's all about tomorrow night 100% support from the off
  • Options
    0-2 L, Tension carried
  • Options
    Good rallying cry from Mr Bligh. The bigger the crowd, the better it will be. We need to be down their throats all over the pitch, if we allow them too much space we will struggle. Good to see that they have drawn 10 away, and are best at home.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

0-2 L, Tension carried

Unfortunately this.
  • Options
    mrbligh said:

great work on the season's previews HI (and everyone else) but I disagree with the second line of this one.

this is a 100% bona fide must win game. I don't wanna go down, win this and we shall not.

I also urge every single one of you who can get to the valley to make sure you are there. lungs ready. buy a ticket, check out the free ticket thread on here, contact the trust, rob a banker....just get there.

we need no booing our own players, no groaning at every mistake, no demoralising our own, just pure mental, fanatical, loud SUPPORT for our team.

I normally get into the ground just as we're kicking off but I am gonna make sure I'm in my seat 15 before kick off making as much noise as humanly possible and I hope that you lot can do the same.

we can do this, get involved people

2-1 Charlton

Excellent post. We must leave our thoughts about individual players' abilities at the turnstiles. Saturday's gone. In fact disregard all the negativity and uncertainty we have experienced this season. It is fitting that we can stay up on a Tuesday night, as that seems to have yielded the odd result for us this season. 1-0 to us, although I feel we will have something like 5 mins of injury time to see out......

COYR do not let it go down to Blackpool
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Would like to see

Hamer
    Solly Morrison Devite fox
    Wilson Poyet Jackson Harriot
    Sordell Obika

Think we will get

Hamer
    Wilson Morrison Devite fox
    Cousins Poyet Jackson Harriot
    Sordell Church

This is our best chance of points from the two games yet to play. Hopefully Sordell will have a point to prove to his old side and bangs at least one in. Watford are bound to score, 2-1 to us then with a rare Church winner
  • Options

Last chance HV. Keep playing those numbers.
  • Options
    Granpa said:

Good rallying cry from Mr Bligh. The bigger the crowd, the better it will be. We need to be down their throats all over the pitch, if we allow them too much space we will struggle. Good to see that they have drawn 10 away, and are best at home.

Well out last win at Wednesday was in front of 200 Charlton fans, so maybe we need a smaller crowd! Just the hard core...
  • Options
    We just need to go for it from the first whistle. Watford may not be fully commited to the game so we need to take advantage. When we attack instead of slowing it down by passing it sideways I want to see us running at Watford in numbers.

If Solly knee is okay play him and put Wilson ahead of him.

JJ likes a goal against Watford and think he is due one.

Hamer
    Solly MM Dervite Fox
    Wilson Cousins Poyet JJ
    AA Sordell

• Options
    Nervy 1-1
  • Options
    Hamer
    Solly Dervite Morro(c) Fox
    Wilson Poyet Cousins Harriot
    Sordell Obika

Bring Jacko on for the last 15 to snatch the winning goal.

1-0 Jackson
  • Options

We are awful and the miracle of Hillsborough looks like keeping us up
    We won't win this fixture , Watford can relax and play around with us , all our huff and puff and minimum attacking threat won't be enough to keep the Hornets at bay
    Solly is , understandably, not the Solly of old just yet and Fox is the new Grant Basey
    hopefully Wilson will be in to take Sollys place or give him some protection on the right

Whatever happens let's just get behind them and try and give them a lift

1-3 to Watford and we've all got to go to Blackpool and fiddle with trannys

I'm not fiddling with men in skirts, no matter what happens against Watford!

• Options
    First home game I've missed this season so I'm going with a euphoric 3-0 to the Addicks with Sordell, Dervite and Poyet signing off in style
  • Options
    You all know what I am going to say...
  • Options
    0-2