Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The 'If only we hadn't sold.........' Thread

Derek Hales, bloody RD....Grrrr......!

Comments

• Options
    Another F'king Yann thread, give it a rest will ya : - )

In seriousness I give it 11 posts before this turns into a Yann or Parker debate haha ...
  • Options
    Marvin Hinton has gone, move on.
  • Options
    Steve 'Chalky' White
  • Options
    Been a couple we released as young-un's that I wish had of stuck around.

Michael Turner is a player that would have been an asset to us in his best form for instance.
  • Options
    Colin Pates to Arsenal. He didn't really want to go and they didn't really want him. We just needed the money and they got themselves a really good sub. Shame...he was a class above anything I'd seen at the back for Charlton in those days.

Derek Hales move to Gillingham I couldn't understand. He started 1984/85 on fire....hat-trick at Cardiff on opening day....beat Stuart Leary's record v Huddersfield? with a near post diving header and I think had 8 goals by beginning of Oct. So we let him go to Gillingham for practically nothing. If anyone knows what happened there, it would be good to know.
  • Options
    It's true that the worse sales I can remember considering the situation when we sold them were Parker (were we 5th in the league at the time and Europe a real possibilty) and Yann (Leader, tallisman and SCORER when we were in a relegation fight) and that is from a level headed supporter for 48 years (first home match at 7 and been to the vast majority since). Addicked may not like it but unfortuanatley true.
  • Options
    Billy Bonds. Could/would have been an SE London legend. the 68-69 team would surely have been promoted with him in the team
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    If only we hadn't sold those steak slices I wouldn't have had burnt my mouth Back in 2008....
  • Options
    Most sales of decent players have been unavoidable, as either we've been desperate for the cash (e.g. Robert Lee in 92 for example to our leading promotion rivals) or because the player wanted to go (e.g. Parker).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Eddie Firmani. The two that really peed me off was Paul Elliot and Paul Walsh, we got peanuts for them.
  • Options
    Andy Reid and Scott Parker....Or Carl Jenkinson - we'd still be in League One - or two.
  • Options

Andy Reid and Scott Parker....Or Carl Jenkinson - we'd still be in League One - or two.

Andy Reid is a funny one. We allow Pardew to spend a fortune on strikers, then sold our main creative midfielder! If we knew we were going to sell him, why not buy a replacement £1m creative midfielder instead of yet another non goal scoring striker, when our best striker that season (Iwelemo) played in the same position...
  • Options
    Test cricket
  • Options
    robert lee, lee bowyer, scott parker, darren bent, carl jenkinson, jonjo shelvey,
  • Options
    Rubbish beer on the concourse?
  • Options

Andy Reid is a funny one. We allow Pardew to spend a fortune on strikers, then sold our main creative midfielder! If we knew we were going to sell him, why not buy a replacement £1m creative midfielder instead of yet another non goal scoring striker, when our best striker that season (Iwelemo) played in the same position...
    It's a good job we learned from that mistake. I can't recall us doing anything similar since - like selling our best striker and creative midfielder and then replacing them with a forward not good enough for the first team. Have we?

Ducks for cover with tin hat on.
  • Options
    Odd to me that so many people seem sad about losing Jenko, obviously he was a good player but I feel Solly replaced him just fine
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    DeeBee said:

Odd to me that so many people seem sad about losing Jenko, obviously he was a good player but I feel Solly replaced him just fine

the one comment about him on this thread was a joke. I havent heard anyone bothered about him leaving for 2 reasons -
    We had a ready made replacement and it funded our title winning season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DeeBee said:

Agreed. Actually there's a good case for an alternative thread around 'astute sales', where we used the money wisely (and had to sell somebody, realistically). Danny Mills would fit that category - we managed well without him, bought Dean Kiely, and pushed on...
  • Options
    Chris Iwelumo
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    addick16 said:

robert lee, lee bowyer, scott parker, darren bent, carl jenkinson, jonjo shelvey,

Your boys took one hellava beating.

• Options
    The gold
  • Options
    Our soul to the Belgian devil
  • Options
    Our chances of Administration
  • Options
    Miguel Llera, we'd be 3 points worse off.
  • Options
    Premier league standard Michael Turner.
  • Options
    Simon Francis..
  • Options
    Matt Elliott........