Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The 'If only we hadn't sold.........' Thread

Comments

• Options
    Not really sold but still think Defoe has been our worst loss in modern times.
  • Options
    Lennie Lawrence

Mooney

• Options
    If we hadnt sold Rob Lee, we wouldnt have bought Johnny Robinson, a tru legend!
  • Options
    Derek Hales. How difficult is it to find a striker with a guarantee, and we tossed him away.
  • Options
    Was shocked when Claus Jensen was sold. Found out about it on good old ceefax, was certainly a 'say whaaaaat!' moment.
  • Options
    Andy Reid.. He was a huge loss in our recent times
  • Options
    It's a tough one between Reidy & Parker, I'll say Reidy purely because if he stayed we'd have mad the playoffs at least as his attiude is spot on. I believe we would have made Europe if we kept Parker but only if his head stayed focused and his performances stayed the same, that would not have been a given.
  • Options

This 100%
  • Options
    Mike Bailey, Billy Bonds
  • Options
    Reckon Darren Bent... Had we kept him in the Championship we may have bounced straight back
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yann for me

Gotta love the Colin Pates gag on page 1, or was that serious?

Or if we are playing that game....Ralph Milne
  • Options
    Alan Simonson - gutted when left. It's not been the same since.
  • Options
    Charlton hate the January window.

Whatever you gotta say about Murphy, he was a really good player.
  • Options

Reckon Darren Bent... Had we kept him in the Championship we may have bounced straight back

16m says otherwise. Spurs proved to be mugs.
  • Options
    Andy Reid...........still rankles with me as he was & still has not been not replaced. BTW - if anyone says he is fat or lazy then look at the PFA Championship team..........and he has scored more goals than any of our forwards.

Parker - we had to as he'd thrown a strop & didn't want to play
    Bowyer - like Poyet just too good for the team or even the division.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Leon Clarke.
  • Options
    Neil redfearn
  • Options

DeeBee said:

Odd to me that so many people seem sad about losing Jenko, obviously he was a good player but I feel Solly replaced him just fine

Agreed. Actually there's a good case for an alternative thread around 'astute sales', where we used the money wisely (and had to sell somebody, realistically). Danny Mills would fit that category - we managed well without him, bought Dean Kiely, and pushed on...
    Sadly Mark Kinsella would also fall into that category, I was gutted when he was sold, but did little at Villa and was clearly on the way down
    Ross said:

Chris Iwelumo

Agreed, he's a proven Championship level striker, and a much more reliable option than the hopeless Gray, the ineffective Varney or useless (for us) McLeod.

In a similar vein, the sale of Paddy McCarthy was daft, it left us hopelessly short at CB, and while he's hardly a superstar he's a steady defender at Championship level as shown by the number of games he played for Palace.
  • Options

But if we hadn't sold Bent we couldn't have afforded Luke Varney, Paddy McCarthy, Yassin Moutaouakil, Dean Sinclair, Izale McLeod, Nicky Weaver and Therry Racon.

Oh.
  • Options

But if we hadn't sold Bent we couldn't have afforded Luke Varney, Paddy McCarthy, Yassin Moutaouakil, Dean Sinclair, Izale McLeod, Nicky Weaver and Therry Racon.

Oh.
    There's no way Bent would have stayed with us, even if we could have afforded to keep him. Remember the way he upped sticks at Sunderland and forced a move to Villa, that worked out well didn't it...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

DeeBee said:

Odd to me that so many people seem sad about losing Jenko, obviously he was a good player but I feel Solly replaced him just fine

Agreed. Actually there's a good case for an alternative thread around 'astute sales', where we used the money wisely (and had to sell somebody, realistically). Danny Mills would fit that category - we managed well without him, bought Dean Kiely, and pushed on...
    Sadly Mark Kinsella would also fall into that category, I was gutted when he was sold, but did little at Villa and was clearly on the way down
    Ross said:

Chris Iwelumo

Agreed, he's a proven Championship level striker, and a much more reliable option than the hopeless Gray, the ineffective Varney or useless (for us) McLeod.

In a similar vein, the sale of Paddy McCarthy was daft, it left us hopelessly short at CB, and while he's hardly a superstar he's a steady defender at Championship level as shown by the number of games he played for Palace.
    To think we once sold our "has beens" to Villa
  • Options
    harry cripps
  • Options

Bah he'd have soon got Charltonised if he'd made the first team. No doubt he'd have made Church look like Ibrahimovic!
  • Options
    Poyet.
  • Options
    .. To TJ and Jimenez
  • Options
    Andy Reid.

Not only didn't replace him, he was also only one with team spirit and only player that turned up when Luke Young organised a morale boosting day to try and lift the gloom around the club.
  • Options
    CHGCHG
    edited April 2014
    I think you can go back and pin point the beginning of the decline of Charlton when we failed to make the Mike Small loan deal permanent.
  • Options
    Has to be Reid no one else comes close
  • Options
    Paul Walsh and Paul Elliott
  • Options

Oh.
    There's no way Bent would have stayed with us, even if we could have afforded to keep him. Remember the way he upped sticks at Sunderland and forced a move to Villa, that worked out well didn't it...
    Not sure that is true. Allegedly the Sunderland manager was slightly upset with him due to his alleged recreational activities.