Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Well done and thank you to Jose Riga!!

124»

Comments

• Options
    He may only ever wanted the job on an interim basis and not want to move to England, or not fancy the day to day rigors of a football club manager role. Or he may be staying.
  • Options

I think he has done a good job in difficult circumstances and I like him personally. I think he has a special talent with youngsters, which is reflected in his own comments, and I like that too. The way that Morgan Fox has seamlessly replaced Wiggy at a very tense time of the season is a good example.

So if he is not staying, why not, I wonder. There has been this rumour that Paul Hart is off to Man City, and he would therefore take over the academy side, but well connected people I spoke with last might didn't believe this. Anyway it would now seem a bit of a waste, a demotion, if he took that role. He will have learnt a lot about the Championship in the last few months.

Well, we will see. In the meantime. Credit where it's due. If he goes somewhere else and one of their fans asks me, I will say that they are getting a good man in.

If Paul Hart is indeed off to Citeh then there is a very good case for a Director of Football role running the academy and first team ensuring that the same style is adopted at both and that there is a seamless transition for players graduating from U18 into the first team squad.

On what I have seen last night Riga has a good case to establish that role in terms of his football, his comments and his relationship with the fans. How many other head coaches would have the North upper singing his name like that after just a few weeks?

• Options
    dancafc said:

The man's as bent as they come fingers crossed we don't end up like Portsmouth or leeds

Are you an idiot?! Without him buying us we would have had administration ten point deduction and the real possibility of relegation to league two next year!! Much rather the current position wouldn't you!
  • Options
    dancafc said:

I really hope I'm wrong but his track record isn't great time will tell. we have had our fair share of shit over the years and would hate to see our club being a feeder club

His track record is actually decent. What he has got a bad reputation for is relationships with the fans, which is not the same thing at all.
  • Options
    I wonder what Riga's bonus is for keeping us up? He deserves every penny of it!

I hope he stays, the way he speaks about the players especially the young ones shows he has built a great relationship with them.

I expect if he stayed he would blood more youngsters or at least have faith to try them.

If I were an academy player I would be praying he stayed as you seem to have a chance to play.
  • Options
    I thought I heard J.R. asked during his aftermatch press conference if he gave instructions to Diago Poyet in Spanish during the game so the Watford coaching staff would not understand what was being said.
    Clever bloke.
  • Options
    Thank you Jose, I was in the gutted camp when CP left, but you have done a sterling job and deserve massive credit. The spirit remains the same but I have to say the football has improved and along with that, the results. I hope you get to carry on next season, think we have the foundations of a competitive team.
  • Options
    I love the way I put my opinion on here and people hit the abuse button dickheads
  • Options
    Thankyou to jose ,karel ,alex , damian and the rest
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    And to powell for giving Poyet his debut by the way oh and cousin and fox too
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    dancafc said:

I love the way I put my opinion on here and people hit the abuse button dickheads

Maybe it's the way you're expressing your opinion rather than the opinion itself.

• Options
    "A victory made in Charlton" (José Riga) should be put up in huge letters at the back of the North Upper.
  • Options
    WSS said:

dancafc said:

Maybe it's the way you're expressing your opinion rather than the opinion itself.

Whats an "abuse button dickhead" ? Or is the sentence just lacking punctuation ?

• Options

"A victory made in Charlton" (José Riga) should be put up in huge letters at the back of the North Upper.

Aye, that was a great line. A great, crowd-pleasing line.

Actually, I don't know why I said 'Aye' there. I grew up in Brockley.

• Options

WSS said:

dancafc said:

Whats an "abuse button dickhead" ? Or is the sentence just lacking punctuation ?

Just checked my profile to see my flags. Think we might both know an abuse button dickhead, SHG :-)

Hope your health is on the mend Btw

• Options
    Spankie said:

Powell's record this season P30 W6 D9 L15 Pts 27

Riga's record this season P15 W6 D3 L6 Pts 21

Draw your own conclusions...

56% of our points this season have come from Chris Powell meaning Jose Riga can only take responsibility for 44% of our survival.

:-)

• Options
    Did anyone else see him pass instructions on a piece of paper to Dervite (which he then read before crumpling the note and throwing on the grass)? I wasn't aware you were allowed to do that but I thought it was great.
  • Options

Did anyone else see him pass instructions on a piece of paper to Dervite (which he then read before crumpling the note and throwing on the grass)? I wasn't aware you were allowed to do that but I thought it was great.

Mourinho used to do it all the time with Terry.

He always used to put the piece of paper in his sock...
  • Options
    LOL - you saying that ESL gives me an image of Terry trying to decipher some crayon picture - about the most complex thing he could understand!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Perhaps it just said

"Nous restons jusqu'à"
  • Options
    Spankie said:

Blimey I didnt realise it was that cut and dried. And dont forget Riga had to contend with this backlog of games when he had to try and keep a tired squad fresh.

Come on guys, whatever your views on certain people, it is as clear as day. Riga saved us - end of. Hence the thread - well done and thank you Jose Riga.
  • Options
    Jose Riga has done a great job with the squad he had available and number of games that the team played in a short space of time

Given a full season with a better squad could be exciting

Thanks Jose
  • Options

I'm sure it's ok to throw paper onto the grass in a football stadium where you have the owners permission. If we had been playing up the park then I think the litter bye laws would possibly mean very grave consequences for Dervite.

• Options
    Completed his task of keeping us up and I think it's fair to say that most of us have taken to him. Would like him to continue next season with his own players if I'm honest but whatever happens the summer break will be interesting.

I do have one wish and that's that as RD installed him that he sits down with Riga in the next week so that JR can tell him exactly what type of players are needed in this league and that there was a reason that in our game last night, that we had to win, nobody brought in from the network or elsewhere since January was used. We do still need an overhaul of players in the summer transfer window but RD needs to understand that SL reserves are probably not good enough.

Whatever decisions that are taken and business we do let's do them early and not end up scrambling around after the season has already got under way.
  • Options
    Want him to stay. I instinctively like him and his style of play has been an improvement. I think I'm in the we were going down without a change camp. Regardless of that, it wasn't Riga's fault that SCP was sacked, He's done the job he was asked to do. Good luck to him.
  • Options
    Should of got him in earlier and not bothered with the messing about with Powell and contracts and all that malarky. It was obvious to most Powell wasn't part of the plans and should of been relieved of his duties earlier.

The messing about was very nearly fatal to our league status and I think the change came at the nick of time.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Lots of well dones deserve to be handed out for last night, not really sure why people feel the need to give all the credit to Riga or all the blame to Powell.

Thanks Chris Powell for assembling a squad of players in your own image that have never shirked the challenge and have stuck together and worn the shirt with pride. They may be limited in talent on occasions but they always gave their all. CP understood that is the Charlton way and built a squad, under severe budget restrictions, that could at least play in that manner.

Thank you to Matthews and Dyer for staying professional and working with the new manager and helping him understand the minimum expectations that CP did.

Thank you Jose Riga for revitalizing a squad that was flagging somewhat. Thank you for listening to the old manager's assistants. Thank you for giving some players a second chance. Thank you for picking our best players and not necessarily the network loans and believing in their ability to play it on the deck.

Thank you to the players for being so professional and determined.

And thank you to the fans for sticking by the team and not adding to the pressure they were under.

Football is a team game and it was a team effort getting into and out of the mess.

The two groups who probably can't take a whole lot of credit are the current and previous owners who did not exactly give the managers much backing to improve the squad but I suppose even RD should be praised for a seemingly shrewd appointment in Jose Riga, who was not exactly an obvious candidate.

Overall a season to put behind us, but out of the adversity I think there are positives to try and build on. A lot now depends on what RD does next.
  • Options

Spankie said:

Blimey I didnt realise it was that cut and dried. And dont forget Riga had to contend with this backlog of games when he had to try and keep a tired squad fresh.

Come on guys, whatever your views on certain people, it is as clear as day. Riga saved us - end of. Hence the thread - well done and thank you Jose Riga.
    Unfortunately some of our fans have a huge emotional tie with CP and will never get your last sentence.

The guy is a club legend and i will always love the bloke, but in footballing terms, JR has taken a limited squad to the next step.
  • Options
    I am a big fan of Chris Powell but glad he was replaced as I am a bigger fan of Championship football,well done Riga