Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

World Cup 2014 Thread

Comments

• Options

World Cup groups (world rankings in brackets)

Group A - Brazil (3), Cameroon (56), Croatia (18), Mexico (20). Total 97.
    Group B - Australia (62), Chile (14), Netherlands (15), Spain (1). Total 92.
    Group C - Colombia (8), Greece (12), Ivory Coast (23), Japan (46). Total 89.
    Group D - Costa Rica (28), England (10), Italy (9), Uruguay (7). Total 54.
    Group E - Ecuador (26), France (17), Honduras (33), Switzerland (6). Total 82.
    Group F - Argentina (5), Bosnia-Herzegovina (21), Iran (43), Nigeria (44). Total 113.
    Group G - Germany (2), Ghana (37), Portugal (4), USA (13). Total 56.
    Group H - Algeria (22), Belgium (11), Russia (19), South Korea (57). Total 109.

Is that right? The Sixth Best Country in the World at football is Switzerland???? While Italy is 9th and France 17th???

WTF????

I understand that Switzerland is the home of FIFA but this is taking things too far

I think they were second in the world under Hodgson!? Standards have slipped. ;-)
  • Options

World Cup groups (world rankings in brackets)

Group A - Brazil (3), Cameroon (56), Croatia (18), Mexico (20). Total 97.
    Group B - Australia (62), Chile (14), Netherlands (15), Spain (1). Total 92.
    Group C - Colombia (8), Greece (12), Ivory Coast (23), Japan (46). Total 89.
    Group D - Costa Rica (28), England (10), Italy (9), Uruguay (7). Total 54.
    Group E - Ecuador (26), France (17), Honduras (33), Switzerland (6). Total 82.
    Group F - Argentina (5), Bosnia-Herzegovina (21), Iran (43), Nigeria (44). Total 113.
    Group G - Germany (2), Ghana (37), Portugal (4), USA (13). Total 56.
    Group H - Algeria (22), Belgium (11), Russia (19), South Korea (57). Total 109.

Shows how skewed the FIFA Rankings are (though I can't think of a better system.

No one can agree surely that Group E is harder than Group B, for example.
  • Options
    Can someone with more time on their hands than me say which are hardest groups if take out the lowest ranked team? As a really low ranked team can really skew the results.
  • Options
    B, D, and G, at a quick skim read.
  • Options
    74 Final on now. Brilliant commentary too, some very funny and un-PC comments.

Cruyff, Muller, Beckenbauer, Rep, Neeskins...some proper players on show and of course Jack Taylor reffing.
  • Options
    Can I be the first (and only?) to say the FA have picked a disappointing hotel for the team.

Stayed there for a few nights in 2010 and it is down the end of the beach near Rocina shanty town and a taxi ride to any entertainment.
    The pool is OK though the view is just stunning. Nearest bit of the beach was the dirtiest section. Not swimmable or a place to lie down and unwind.

I know its been done up but really, there are so many better places they could have selected.
  • Options
    Italy v Fluminese live on SS3 right now, I think this is Italy's reserve side. Female lino.
  • Options
    2-1 to Italy, Immobile just scored a good header, first two goals were a result of some pretty dire defending from each side
  • Options
    2-2 at half-time
  • Options
    They are not exactly playing against scintillating opposition - Fluminense finished 15th in the Brazillian league last season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Irrelevant in a lot of ways as it's an Italy reserve team.
  • Options

They are not exactly playing against scintillating opposition - Fluminense finished 15th in the Brazillian league last season.

From the highlights I've seen of the Brazilian league on BT I'm pretty sure Charlton could better that !

Has been quite an entertaining game, quality isn't great though.
  • Options
    Buffon can sleep easy if that's his nearest competition. Having said that I remember Buffon himself making a similar error at that age.
  • Options
    Why do the Flu colours look familiar ? Didnt we have those colours as away strip some time ago?
  • Options

Why do the Flu colours look familiar ? Didnt we have those colours as away strip some time ago?

We certainly did! In the late 90s for two seasons. We had the full kit and the half purple and green and half purple and white the next season, not to mention the green and white hoops as a third kit. People moaning about this year's kit don't know how lucky they are!
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Immobile doesn't look so...immobile. Lovely finish for his third.
  • Options
    Three goals in less than two minutes for Italy. 5-2 now.
  • Options
    Italy have scored 3 goals in a minute !
    2-5
  • Options
    Bloody hell, Fluminese are defending like Millwall - what was that back pass all about !
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Bloody hell, Fluminese are defending like Millwall - what was that back pass all about !

Fix! Calciopoli!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pirlo now on - lets hope Flu give him a bit of a clump !
  • Options
    What a goal for Flu !
  • Options
    Pirlo is such a top player. No one else like him.

Great goal from Fluminese. Can't see there being this many on Saturday somehow!
  • Options
    The only images I can find of our trend setting away kits.
  • Options

That was it !!
  • Options

That was it !!
    I'll admit it, I the full kit for the firsr one, although I was only about ten at the time. I've got a feeling the second was our promotion year away kit in '98.
  • Options
    France 8-0 Jamaica

x1 Cabaye
    x2 Matuidi
    x2 Benzema
    x1 Giroud
    x2 Griezmann
  • Options

That was it !!
    I'll admit it, I the full kit for the firsr one, although I was only about ten at the time. I've got a feeling the second was our promotion year away kit in '98.
    I lived both of those and the green and white with a touch of red hoops. Always been a traditionalist for the home kit but liked something quirky for away
  • Options

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=footballapps.worldcup

This is pretty decent, got the groups, news and videos

Hi Gary, thanks for that, but its Android, and I'm trapped in the Mac eco-system.

Any other reccos. from anyone?