Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

World Cup 2014 Thread

Comments

• Options
    Loving the build up at the moment. So many memories (and interesting to see the ones before I was born etc).

Enjoying 'Road to Rio' on Dave too - not that funny for a comedy programme, but inoffensive and some very interesting interviews with a few South American legends.
  • Options
    Saw a fact on Twitter that England haven't won a World Cup game where we have conceded, since beating Cameroon in 1990
  • Options

Saw a fact on Twitter that England haven't won a World Cup game where we have conceded, since beating Cameroon in 1990

Wow. That's incredible. It doesn't bode well does it? I'm getting blindly optimistic already. Uruguay is they key game for me. They will score but their defensive record was pretty shocking in qualifying. I wouldn't be surprised to see us go unbeaten in the group and still get knocked out.
  • Options
    I think 5 points would get us through, just need a winner in the Italy/Uruguay game.
  • Options

Wow. That's incredible. It doesn't bode well does it? I'm getting blindly optimistic already. Uruguay is they key game for me. They will score but their defensive record was pretty shocking in qualifying. I wouldn't be surprised to see us go unbeaten in the group and still get knocked out.
    I can see the 3 main teams in our group all finishing with 1 win and 2 draws, with the goals scored against Costa Rica being the main decider.

Hopefully, with us playing them last, they will already be eliminated with a few injuries/suspensions.

Massive straw clutching i know.
  • Options
    Lets not lose the Italy game, I think we can beat Uruguay.

They had some shocking results in qualifying like losing 4-1 to Bolivia, and ended up with a GD of zero.
    Their defense isn't all that.

• Options

I can see the 3 main teams in our group all finishing with 1 win and 2 draws, with the goals scored against Costa Rica being the main decider.

Hopefully, with us playing them last, they will already be eliminated with a few injuries/suspensions.

Massive straw clutching i know.
    Quite a likely scenario I think.
  • Options
    So when's the 2nd round against Colombia?
  • Options

At least that means the defence has done well in a few games.

Shame it's not as good this year!
  • Options
    England have never lost when Cahill and Jagielka start together.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

England have never lost when Cahill and Jagielka start together.

• Options
    I reckon Rickie Lambert will be the Golden boot winner with 6 goals
  • Options

I reckon Rickie Lambert will be the Golden boot winner with 6 goals

All against Costa Rica when we're already out?
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    A full strength (ish, no Suarez or Godin) Uruguay team struggled to beat NI last night in Montevideo.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27383322

Will be interesting to see how Italy go against ROI tonight.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    "World Cup 2014: Alvaro Negredo and Jesus Navas dropped by Spain"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27647635

"Manchester City pair Alvaro Negredo and Jesus Navas have been left out of Spain's 23-man World Cup squad, but Chelsea's Fernando Torres has been selected by manager Vicente Del Bosque.

Torres is one of six Premier League players in the squad, which includes Atletico Madrid striker Diego Costa.

Sevilla's Alberto Moreno, Real Madrid's Daniel Carvajal, Fernando Llorente of Juventus and Ander Iturraspe of Athletic Bilbao have also been cut.

Spain play Netherlands on 13 June.

More to follow.

Goalkeepers: Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), Pepe Reina (Napoli), David De Gea (Manchester United).
    Defenders: Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid), Gerard Pique (Barcelona), Raul Albiol (Napoli), Cesar Azpilicueta (Chelsea), Juanfran (Atletico Madrid), Jordi Alba (Barcelona).
    Midfielders: Xavi (Barcelona), Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid), Sergio Busquets (Barcelona), Andres Iniesta (Barcelona), Cesc Fabregas (Barcelona), Santi Cazorla (Arsenal), Koke (Atletico Madrid), Javi Martinez (Bayern Munich).
    Forwards: David Silva (Manchester City), Diego Costa (Atletico Madrid), Fernando Torres (Chelsea), Pedro (Barcelona), Juan Mata (Manchester United), David Villa (Atletico Madrid)."
  • Options
    Incredible squad
  • Options
    Not that it'll make much difference, but Torres over Negredo?
  • Options
    They are massively over priced at 13/2
  • Options
    They will struggle to score goals.
    Costa has injury problems, Pedro has had a poor season at Barca, Torres is Torres and Mata/Silva are midfielders.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What a squad Spain have.
  • Options
    Montolivo out of WC. Positive for England but negative for Football and the poor guy himself.
  • Options
    Is he injured? Good player.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Is he injured? Good player.

Clash of legs during the game tonight against Ireland.

At times Italy looked poor at the back. Very good game for a nil- nil.
  • Options
    Alex Pearce doing us a favour there.
  • Options
    I went to the game. Italy played a 2nd 11 mostly. Verratti looks a quality little player!
  • Options
    Was at the game last night, personally don't rate Montolivo think he's too slow & lightweight, think there's better players that can contribute more in 90 minutes than him, that said I rate Aquilani even less so it's a good thing he too went off with a knock after coming on.

Result wasn't surprising last night considering our friendly record is so poor, think we've only won like 3 or 4 in the last 2/3 years but as long as we keep turning up when it matters then that doesn't matter.
  • Options
    CafcSteve said:

They will struggle to score goals.
    Costa has injury problems, Pedro has had a poor season at Barca, Torres is Torres and Mata/Silva are midfielders.

They only need one goal half the time because the opposition don't have enough of the ball to score. They'll tire teams out in the heat too.

I agree with ValleyGary, they are overpriced, I had a tenner at 7-1 last month.
  • Options
    Italy omit Giuseppe Rossi from final squad

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27402363

Fiorentina striker Giuseppe Rossi has been left out of Italy's 23-man World Cup squad, despite recovering from a serious knee injury.

Rossi, 27, played 71 minutes of Saturday's 0-0 draw with the Republic of Ireland, but failed to impress.

Antonio Cassano is included after scoring 12 goals for Parma this season, while AC Milan striker Mario Balotelli is also selected by Cesare Prandelli.

The 2006 winners start their campaign against England on 12 June. They also face Costa Rica and Uruguay in Group B.

AC Milan midfielder Riccardo Montolivo is absent after breaking his left leg against the Republic of Ireland.

Also cut from Prandelli's 30-man preliminary squad were striker Mattia Destro, Brazil-born midfielder Romulo plus defenders Manuel Pasqual and Christian Maggio.

Centre-back Andrea Ranocchia will travel to Brazil as a possible replacement for Andrea Barzagli, who has been struggling with injury all season.

Rossi scored 14 goals in 17 Serie A matches before injuring his right knee in January, sidelining him for four months.

He made three Serie A appearances at the end of the season but has not played a full 90 minutes since returning.

Torino striker Ciro Immobile makes the squad after scoring 22 Serie A goals this season, while Cassano is included having claimed in March he lost 10kg by eating less focaccia in an attempt to secure a place in Prandelli's squad.

The Azzurri play Luxembourg in Perugia on Wednesday before flying out to Brazil a day later.

Goalkeepers: Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus), Salvatore Sirigu (Paris St Germain), Mattia Perin (Genoa).
    Defenders: Andrea Barzagli, Leonardo Bonucci, Giorigo Chiellini (all Juventus), Gabriel Paletta (Parma), Ignazio Abate, Mattia De Sciglio (both AC Milan), Matteo Darmian (Torino).
    Midfielders: Andrea Pirlo, Claudio Marchisio (both Juventus), Thiago Motta, Marco Verratti (both Paris St Germain), Daniele De Rossi (AS Roma), Antonio Candreva (Lazio), Marco Parolo (Parma), Alberto Aquilani (Fiorentina).
    Forwards: Mario Balotelli (AC Milan), Antonio Cassano (Parma), Alessio Cerci (Torino), Ciro Immobile (Torino), Lorenzo Insigne (Napoli).
  • Options
    Cassano cracks me up, the foccia bit.