Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Politics stuff

Comments

• Options
    Mametz said:

I'm going to what our resident Battlefield historian SG3toSE7 tells me.

My guess is that the poster pic is older and predates the hedge that now divides the two sites.

It definitely isn't La Targette. I agree that the poster photograph is older but you will see that, even allowing for perspective, the gap between the French and British graves is bigger in the more recent picture. Moreover, the two sets of graves look aligned in the older picture but they are not in the more recent photograph.

The question of the bedding plants is more problematic. The original French concrete crosses have been replaced by modern plastic compound ones (this happened in 1989 at La Targette) and it could be that the horticulture was altered then. However the presence of flowers does lead me to suppose that these are French graves in an essentially British cemetery. There are quite a few instances of French graves in British CWGC cemeteries.

Nevertheless I agree with your original point about the crassness of the original poster.

As both you and Addickted have pointed out there is no guarantee that CWGC headstones mark British graves.

Henry hasn't been talking bollox has he ?
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Can I just point something out - please check out the link below, did you hear about any of these incidents happening? It isn't a level playing field.

http://nopenothope.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/the-latest-digest-of-crimes-etc-by.html
  • Options

Can I just point something out - please check out the link below, did you hear about any of these incidents happening? It isn't a level playing field.

http://nopenothope.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/the-latest-digest-of-crimes-etc-by.html

UAF are absolute scum

• Options
    My mate is a millwall fan (wait, it gets even worse!) and a Ukip supporter. Words can not describe. . .
  • Options

Even if you ignore the evoking the war dead for party political reasons this is a really crass poster.

Most of those graves are, in fact, French (the crosses) while the few Commonwealth graves to the right of the picture are quite possibly Canadian as the cemetery is near Vimy Ridge.

It's not a UKIP leaflet, it may be fake to discredit UKIP or a poor effort by a UKIP sympathiser. Most of the media have already deleted their reports of this online.
  • Options
    buzzfeed.com/alanwhite/21-reasons-people-on-twitter-say-theyre-voting-ukip

Personal favourite of mine is number 10.

"Because I like to think that people from other countries who live in mine are the main reason i have failed in life"

;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Macronate said:

just read the UKIP statement of local principles in Bexley and can't fault any of their aims.

just read them and I agree.
    I liked the fact they quoted a Kevin Costner film. And got it wrong:

"We will explore the possibility of expanding Erith Pier and in turn expanding the
    river taxi to Erith - 'If we build it, they will come.' "
  • Options
    Just voted
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    shine166 said:

When money is tight it's always those coming in that get the blame.. No chance it would be those at the top at fault is it ?

You're right, there's been no demonisation of the rich at all, has there :-)
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

shine166 said:

When money is tight it's always those coming in that get the blame.. No chance it would be those at the top at fault is it ?

When I say top, I mean those 'running' the country signing deals that line each others pockets.. Not normal people earning a decent wage
  • Options

Huskaris said:

UKIP is only where it is because of the way that some sections of society have been treated by the major political parties. I for one am not a prospective UKIP voter and I won't be voting for them, but I understand entirely why some people are, and I can't stand people getting on their high horse about these people's views.

The way people look down on UKIP voters as morons further marginalises them towards UKIP. These people are not invited in by mainstream parties.

Then there is the side that appeals to people that are not "racists, loonies and fruitcakes" and that is Farage the man himself. Look at the way he holds himself compared to the other major leaders, he doesn't spend 5 minutes stuttering and dancing round a question like the others do, but actually tells you his beliefs.

The ironic thing is that the more and more popular UKIP get because of Farage's "telling it like it is" individuality, the more he will have to airbrush himself, and tone himself down to be just like any other politician.

UKIP will win the European elections on Thursday, and it's Labour, Conservatives and Lib Dem's faults.

Embarrassing that rather than actually acknowledge and discuss the issues that are pushing people in to voting for UKIP, the other political parties, media and supporters just decide to run smears & propaganda. If they focused on the things they are doing wrong then perhaps UKIP wouldn't exist.
    Not often i agree with a Spanner, but, well put SLL.
    Maybe we should ask those people who have lived next door to Romanians, and see what they say.? Anyone out there?
    Yep. Me. Romanians one side and English (as far as I can ascertain) the other side. Want to guess which side plays loud shitty music until 3 in the morning, chucks rubbish over my fence and has the gavvers round at least once a week for their errant 14 year old arsewipe of a son? Here's a hint: It's not the perfectly nice Mr & Mrs Mirceau and their two lovely children - one of whom is currently sitting A levels at 16.

Disclaimer - I live in Croydon.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

shine166 said:

Actually, demonising the poor is a daily thing. If we didnt have poor people or bloody foreigners no doubt the country would be paradise
  • Options

Huskaris said:

UKIP is only where it is because of the way that some sections of society have been treated by the major political parties. I for one am not a prospective UKIP voter and I won't be voting for them, but I understand entirely why some people are, and I can't stand people getting on their high horse about these people's views.

The way people look down on UKIP voters as morons further marginalises them towards UKIP. These people are not invited in by mainstream parties.

Then there is the side that appeals to people that are not "racists, loonies and fruitcakes" and that is Farage the man himself. Look at the way he holds himself compared to the other major leaders, he doesn't spend 5 minutes stuttering and dancing round a question like the others do, but actually tells you his beliefs.

The ironic thing is that the more and more popular UKIP get because of Farage's "telling it like it is" individuality, the more he will have to airbrush himself, and tone himself down to be just like any other politician.

UKIP will win the European elections on Thursday, and it's Labour, Conservatives and Lib Dem's faults.

Embarrassing that rather than actually acknowledge and discuss the issues that are pushing people in to voting for UKIP, the other political parties, media and supporters just decide to run smears & propaganda. If they focused on the things they are doing wrong then perhaps UKIP wouldn't exist.
    Not often i agree with a Spanner, but, well put SLL.
    Maybe we should ask those people who have lived next door to Romanians, and see what they say.? Anyone out there?
    Yep. Me. Romanians one side and English (as far as I can ascertain) the other side. Want to guess which side plays loud shitty music until 3 in the morning, chucks rubbish over my fence and has the gavvers round at least once a week for their errant 14 year old arsewipe of a son? Here's a hint: It's not the perfectly nice Mr & Mrs Mirceau and their two lovely children - one of whom is currently sitting A levels at 16.

Disclaimer - I live in Croydon.
    Not aimed at your response in particular Leroy but this is just like when we talk about Millwall fans - everyone says they're all scum/thugs/racists/lowlife etc etc. Most people on here are guilty of that.
    Then someone will pop up and say "I work with/live next door to a millwall fan and he's okay actually".
    Then everyone says don't be stupid they're scum deep down and as a % they are a big bloody problem that needs addressing.

What's the difference here? Farage generalised - like we all do. Is it right? No but its human nature. It doesn't mean he would treat individual Romanians any different just like your avg blike on here would not actually treat a millwall fan any different in reality.

Maybe in his position he shouldn't but I like the fact he says what he thinks and is not talking from a pre-scripted peice.

Romanians (collective not individual) in this Country esp London are a big problem - the MET will verify that. Yes we have our own problems/scum but it don't mean we want to take on extra.
  • Options
    All this reminds of one of Margaret Thatcher's (who was noted for needing only four hours sleep a night) most famous quotes:

"UKIP if you want to. The lady is not for kipping"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2014
    I think maybe my point was missed. I'm just trying to show that everyone generalises when it suits their believes/agenda and thats all Farage did - generalise. I think there are worse crimes.

And there are Romanians who agree with him because they see the biggger picture.

I was in Bucharest a couple of years ago and the people I spoke to seemed chuffed that that element of their Country was now not their problem.

Banter between football fans? - Tell people you follow England away and actually follow them and see what reaction you get. You must be scum/thug/racist etc etc. I'm pulled out of airport queues cos I'm following my Country. Why.. because as a group we have a misplaced reputation that generalises us all.

I'm sure the decent Romanians will shrug his comments off just like I do when I get labelled when following England.

Ps - What's incredibly offensive is comparing me trying to make a point to the actual racist people you used to hear.
  • Options

According the the "Red Wedge" on here :

* There was and is no mass immigration.
    * Only 6,000 Poles would come to the UK
    * Their Labour Party didnt know and didnt open the borders deliberately
    * Only those that read the Guardian have a moral compus
    * Only Conservatives went to Private school
    * No racsists exist inside the Labour Party ( a clue Diane Abbot)
    * There is no such thing as Political Correctness ( daily Mail made it up)
    * Europeans come here to work as the Brits are to lazy ------------ooodear RACISM
    * Romanian gypsyes are just mis-understood
    * Nothing that Red Wedge and the Guardianistas have done is wrong and its all someone elses fault
    * If you loose any argument just shout RACIST or BIGOT very loudly as that nice mr Brown did to his own supporter.

lolwut
  • Options

If UKIP are Millwall what football team are the Tories, Labour, Lib-dems and Greens??
  • Options
    some of the best Gypses i know are Romian

PS i dont know any Gypses

PSS However i would like ALL new comers to move next door to David Milliband asap.
  • Options
    If UKIP are Millwall what football team are the Tories, Labour, Lib-dems and Greens??

Tories Arsenal
    Labour Leeds
    Lid-Dems Yeovil
    Greens England Ladies.
  • Options
    Torries - Chelsea
    Labour - Barnsley
    Lib dems - Brentford
    Greens - Forest Green.
  • Options

Torries - Chelsea
    Labour - Barnsley
    Lib dems - Brentford
    Greens - Forest Green.

Not bad, I can see your logic but I would go.....

Conservative - Chelsea

Labour - Leeds

Lib Dems - Aston Villa (never hurt anyone)

Greens - Brighton