Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your Top Five.......Bands/Groups

Comments

• Options
    The National
    REM
    Arcade Fire
    Tindersticks
    Belle and Sebastian
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

David Bowie

not a band or he would have been in my top 5 as would have Neil young

• Options
    Mott the Hoople
    Bill Nelson's Red Noise
    Buzzcocks
    Split Enz
    Adam & the Ants
  • Options
    Super Furry Animals
    Beatles
    Arcade Fire
    Sigur Ros
    Doves
  • Options
    Sleater-Kinney
    Mansun
    The Who
    The Damned
    Dandy Warhols
  • Options
    kafka said:

Mott the Hoople
    Bill Nelson's Red Noise
    Buzzcocks
    Split Enz
    Adam & the Ants

I saw Split Enz in '79 or thereabouts and they are only the second band on anyone's list so far that I can say were awful. I've heard odds and ends since that have been OK, but that night they were vying with the other band I'm just about to mention for the honour of the worst gig I've been to.

The other band, who I saw at the Lyceum in the Strand in '79 or '80, is U2. The sound was muddy (possibly not the band's fault) and Bono came over as a pretentious twat. Shame, because I like a lot of their so songs.
  • Options
    Doves
    Beatles
    Genesis
    Manic Street Preachers
    Porcupine Tree
  • Options

kafka said:

Mott the Hoople
    Bill Nelson's Red Noise
    Buzzcocks
    Split Enz
    Adam & the Ants

I saw Split Enz in '79 or thereabouts and they are only the second band on anyone's list so far that I can say were awful. I've heard odds and ends since that have been OK, but that night they were vying with the other band I'm just about to mention for the honour of the worst gig I've been to.

The other band, who I saw at the Lyceum in the Strand in '79 or '80, is U2. The sound was muddy (possibly not the band's fault) and Bono came over as a pretentious twat. Shame, because I like a lot of their so songs.
    I reckon you got the measure of Bono very soon. It took the rest of us years to realise, and some people still think he's cool.
    Good to see Adam and the Antz getting a call.

• Options
    My wife's:

Bay City Rollers
    Take That
    Spice Girls
    Girl's Aloud
    Hermans Hermits

Rather says it all about her taste in music.
  • Options

kafka said:

Mott the Hoople
    Bill Nelson's Red Noise
    Buzzcocks
    Split Enz
    Adam & the Ants

If that was at the Roundhouse, then i was there too (supported by Radio Stars). Not a great gig but the Finns are very talented and have shown that down the years. For me, they were the only band doing something different worth watching pre punk. instead of dullards that were genesis, yes, zep etc, I was loving this stuff...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AKQ2H4QW9M
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjm7thPQjOI

Bono; don't even go there.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tubeway Army(Gary Numan)

Depeche Mode

Arctic Monkeys

Korn

Ultravox (with Foxx and Ure)

Good to see a couple of people saying Gary Numan/TA, I've been a fan for near on 35 yrs and it was 35 yrs ago this week that he first appeared on the OGWT and TOTP and still going strong.

• Options
    The Who
    The Pretenders
    U2
    Van Halen
    AC/DC

• Options

kafka said:

Mott the Hoople
    Bill Nelson's Red Noise
    Buzzcocks
    Split Enz
    Adam & the Ants

Saw Split Enz at The Hammersmith Odeon 1980 and they were really good.

Saw U2 at the Rock Garden which was a pretty good gig.
  • Options

Puressence

@Leroy Ambrose I didn't expect they'd get a mention, let alone make anyone's top five list! I've always thought they're very under-rated. I once even used a song of theirs as my ringtone.
    They had a very fine album out just at the time of our glorious Play Off Wembley final. Must give it a play today
    It must be Only Forever? It's my most listened to album of theirs. 'It doesn't matter anymore' and 'This Feeling' are my favourite songs.
    That's the one! A female DJ at BBC London was obviously a fan. When I hear it I can picture myself staggering around Kingston the day after the final, still in shock and with absolutely no voice.
    That's exaclty the magic of music isn't it! Certain songs can bring back vivid memories to us and make us feel emotional.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Rolling Stones
    Simon and Garfunkle
    Mummas and pappas
    The Who
    Bread

Subs, The Troggs and or The Carpenters.
  • Options
    boogica said:

The Cure - all time favourite band

Great to see a couple of Cure fans on here! One of my all-time favourite bands as well! I first heard their music about eight years ago and I don't think I've been more obsessed with a band before or since.

And also great to know bands like Depeche Mode and Japan are still loved by people in Britain. I thought they were considered outdated by you and were only popular outside of the country these days.
    Depeche mode are brilliant live, been following them since 81 they av moved with the times massive in Germany and the states , yes they are an aquired taste but they are a must see live act.
    Absolutely! First saw them in 87 in Hannover and have seen them on pretty much every tour since then, countless times. I would go as far as to say that, for me, their latest tour (Delta Machine) was one of their best. Totally misunderstood by many Brits who regard them as an 80s 'Teeny bop' band without realising just how they have continued to evolve and sell out 'world wide' arena/stadium tours every time they hit the road. Latest album is the best since 'Ultra' in my opinion.
  • Options
    kafka said:

kafka said:

Mott the Hoople
    Bill Nelson's Red Noise
    Buzzcocks
    Split Enz
    Adam & the Ants

If that was at the Roundhouse, then i was there too (supported by Radio Stars). Not a great gig but the Finns are very talented and have shown that down the years. For me, they were the only band doing something different worth watching pre punk. instead of dullards that were genesis, yes, zep etc, I was loving this stuff...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AKQ2H4QW9M
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjm7thPQjOI

Bono; don't even go there.

Split Enz were at King's College in the Strand.
  • Options

boogica said:

Great to see a couple of Cure fans on here! One of my all-time favourite bands as well! I first heard their music about eight years ago and I don't think I've been more obsessed with a band before or since.

And also great to know bands like Depeche Mode and Japan are still loved by people in Britain. I thought they were considered outdated by you and were only popular outside of the country these days.
    Depeche mode are brilliant live, been following them since 81 they av moved with the times massive in Germany and the states , yes they are an aquired taste but they are a must see live act.
    Absolutely! First saw them in 87 in Hannover and have seen them on pretty much every tour since then, countless times. I would go as far as to say that, for me, their latest tour (Delta Machine) was one of their best. Totally misunderstood by many Brits who regard them as an 80s 'Teeny bop' band without realising just how they have continued to evolve and sell out 'world wide' arena/stadium tours every time they hit the road. Latest album is the best since 'Ultra' in my opinion.
    Totally agree.
  • Options
    Good to see someone else who likes Porcupine Tree

Porcupine Tree
    Focus
    Pink Floyd
    Yes
    Genesis
  • Options

boogica said:

I have been following the Mode since there early days at the Bridge house , for anyone interested in the band and associated groups of the Basildon sound check this out , im off down there for the weekend , plenty of groups and music of the Synth kind .
    http://basproductions.co.uk/bp/event/bas-2014
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2014
    kafka said:

kafka said:

Mott the Hoople
    Bill Nelson's Red Noise
    Buzzcocks
    Split Enz
    Adam & the Ants

If that was at the Roundhouse, then i was there too (supported by Radio Stars).

As a drummer in the late 1970s, I nearly joined Radio Stars around the time of 'Dirty Pictures'. I was the only one of the first round of hopefuls to be called back for a second audition, where I was assessed by another drummer whose judgement Andy Ellison trusted. I didn't get the gig, and Radio Stars didn't really fulfil their potential.

• Options
    The Fall
    Cardiacs
    Velvet Underground
    The Clash
    And You Will Know Us By Thed Trail Of Dead

• Options

Rolling Stones
    Simon and Garfunkle
    Mummas and pappas
    The Who
    Bread

Subs, The Troggs and or The Carpenters.

Another fan of Bread. I was certain I would be the only one who put them down.
  • Options
    Marillion
    Stone temple pilots
    Linkin Park
    The Who
    Led Zeppelin
  • Options
    Although they didn't make my list I love a bit of Depeche Mode too...a mate who is a massive DM fan and I went to Austin last Oct to the City Limits Festival...DM headlined on the Friday, the Cure on the Saturday - bloody fantastic (long) weekend away.. Queens of the Stone Age were another stand out live act that weekend...as were Tame Impala, who bossed the Sunday (headlined by Lionel Richie...)
  • Options
    housty said:

The Fall
    Cardiacs
    Velvet Underground
    The Clash
    And You Will Know Us By Thed Trail Of Dead

:D

a fellow pond-dweller! *bestows laudation*
  • Options
    in no particular order

king crimson
    moody blues
    led zep
    steelydan
    the beatles

talk about stuck in the past or wot!

i also saw split enz, they played at my college in 78/9 and thought they were really good.
  • Options
    Genesis
    Supertramp
    Led Zep
    moody blues
    ELO
  • Options
    Squeeze
    Stone Roses
    Oasis
    The Jam
    Primal Scream
  • Options
    Last couple of hours to get your votes in. I will be compiling the list later.