Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your Top Five.......Bands/Groups

Comments

• Options

Saga Lout said:

Saga Lout said:

Bruce Hornsby
    Golden Earring
    The Verve/Richard Ashcroft
    Bruce Springsteen
    Sigur Ros

(tough not to include Simple Minds, Talk Talk, Chris Rea, Led Zep, or Steve Winwood/Traffic)

The older you get the harder it is. I've been trying for months to finish mapping out my life in music with You Tube clips, its bloody hard work.

Love your 2nd choice - Golden Earring were/are great - Moontan, what a superb album!

Not that I am saying your other choices aren't worthy, it's just good to find another fan of an underrated band.
    I love Radar Love but haven't heard much else. Can anyone suggest a couple of tracks?
    here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCUNFvkLF9k
    Here they are live in 2006. All their top stuff is here. Not in bad shape for a band which played live six months before the Beatles.

Saga - did you discover them by listening to the pirate radio RNI?
    No, to tell the truth, I loved Radar Love and a mate had Moontan, which I borrowed and illegally taped (as we all did in those days). The album version of RL is much better than the single version (as I bet you agree) - used to play it in a band and I played the solo note for note (took me a while to learn). Me and my mates really got into them. Saw them at a gig which was recorded and was broadcast on Capital Radio, which I also had on tape (!).
  • Options
    addickson said:

Richmond Fontaine
    Peter Bruntnell Band
    The Pearlfishers
    Chuck Prophet & The Mission Express
    Elvis Costello & The Attractions

Big fan of RF - and also the books of Willie Vlautin. PB is another quality choice - love Americana and even a few Brits like PB do it well...
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Salad said:

okay to extend this, your five favourite bands ... plus your five favourite albums by other bands ?

Please don't extend it . It's hard enough to colate as it is !
    Top five albums is coming in the near future . :)
  • Options

Salad said:

okay to extend this, your five favourite bands ... plus your five favourite albums by other bands ?

Please don't extend it . It's hard enough to colate as it is !
    Top five albums is coming in the near future . :)
    Beds I was thinking yesterday it must have taken you a lot of time to compile all these 'top five' results. Thank you for your efforts. These threads have been exactly what I need to feel better after reading all the Charlton talk recently.
  • Options

Puressence

@Leroy Ambrose I didn't expect they'd get a mention, let alone make anyone's top five list! I've always thought they're very under-rated. I once even used a song of theirs as my ringtone.
  • Options
    The Smiths
    Iron Maiden
    ABBA
    The Cure
    Pink Floyd

.....the restriction of only naming 5 is actually quite painful....
  • Options

The Cure - all time favourite band

Great to see a couple of Cure fans on here! One of my all-time favourite bands as well! I first heard their music about eight years ago and I don't think I've been more obsessed with a band before or since.

And also great to know bands like Depeche Mode and Japan are still loved by people in Britain. I thought they were considered outdated by you and were only popular outside of the country these days.
  • Options
    Pink Floyd
    Nirvana
    The Who
    The Kinks
    The Jam
  • Options
    The Stone Roses
    Fleetwood Mac
    David Bowie
    Blur
    Mansun
  • Options

Great to see a couple of Cure fans on here! One of my all-time favourite bands as well! I first heard their music about eight years ago and I don't think I've been more obsessed with a band before or since.

And also great to know bands like Depeche Mode and Japan are still loved by people in Britain. I thought they were considered outdated by you and were only popular outside of the country these days.
    There're probably a lot of posters here who hit their teens during the '70s and '80s. This would make them prime candidates for liking punk and bands who grew out of that "do anything you wanna do" era, so I'm not surprised at seeing the bands you mention as well as The Jam and The Clash who are popping up on a few lists. What's nice to see, though, is someone of a younger generation, i.e. you, getting into them, too.

I don't know how extensive your Western music listening experience has been, but I suspect you could get a lot out if hunting down something from all the bands on this thread. I'll certainly be doing that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Depeche Mode
    James
    The Killers
    REM
    Smashing Pumpkins
  • Options
    Do

London Philharmonic
    Halle
    Liepzig Gewandhaus
    Royal Concertgabouw
    Berlin Philharmonic

Doubt that lot will get (m)any "likes", but they do it for me.

Not the same without the original line up though... ;-)
    Do they still play their early stuff?
  • Options
    Madness
    The Twang
    Shed Seven
    The Jam
    The Stranglers
  • Options

There're probably a lot of posters here who hit their teens during the '70s and '80s. This would make them prime candidates for liking punk and bands who grew out of that "do anything you wanna do" era, so I'm not surprised at seeing the bands you mention as well as The Jam and The Clash who are popping up on a few lists. What's nice to see, though, is someone of a younger generation, i.e. you, getting into them, too.

I don't know how extensive your Western music listening experience has been, but I suspect you could get a lot out if hunting down something from all the bands on this thread. I'll certainly be doing that.
    Yes yes that's exaclty what I've been doing since yesterday! There're a lot of band names on here that I've heard of over the years but haven't got around to listening to seriously. And also some I've never heard of. This thread is definitely worth saving to my computer.
  • Options
    Led Zep
    Rush
    Rolling Stones
    The Who
    Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
  • Options
    Oasis
    Kasabian
    Stone Roses
    The Prodigy
    Primal Scream
  • Options

Puressence

@Leroy Ambrose I didn't expect they'd get a mention, let alone make anyone's top five list! I've always thought they're very under-rated. I once even used a song of theirs as my ringtone.
    They had a very fine album out just at the time of our glorious Play Off Wembley final. Must give it a play today
  • Options

Puressence

They had a very fine album out just at the time of our glorious Play Off Wembley final. Must give it a play today
    It must be Only Forever? It's my most listened to album of theirs. 'It doesn't matter anymore' and 'This Feeling' are my favourite songs.
  • Options
    I tell you what, these threads are great Beds, if a little frustrating at what you have to leave out (even though some of us "cheat") . There are literally dozens of bands in this thread that I really like, so hard pinning it down... Interesting how some people are quite eclectic while others are one style only. Some of them you could predict would be that way, others really surprise you. Good luck compiling them! :-)
  • Options

Puressence

It must be Only Forever? It's my most listened to album of theirs. 'It doesn't matter anymore' and 'This Feeling' are my favourite songs.
    That's the one! A female DJ at BBC London was obviously a fan. When I hear it I can picture myself staggering around Kingston the day after the final, still in shock and with absolutely no voice.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I tell you what, these threads are great Beds, if a little frustrating at what you have to leave out (even though some of us "cheat") . There are literally dozens of bands in this thread that I really like, so hard pinning it down... Interesting how some people are quite eclectic while others are one style only. Some of them you could predict would be that way, others really surprise you. Good luck compiling them! :-)

Beds will soon have a complete socio demographic picture of the Typical Charlton Fan. He'd better not publish it here otherwise some "consultant " will lift it and flog it to Katrien for a large amount of money:-)
  • Options

Depeche mode are brilliant live, been following them since 81 they av moved with the times massive in Germany and the states , yes they are an aquired taste but they are a must see live act.
  • Options
    Arctic Monkeys
    Kasabian
    Oasis
    Foals
    The Maccabees
  • Options
    a bit off topic since I fortunately didn't notice them mentioned on this thread, but ... a heartfelt review of Coldplay's latest offering:
    http://thequietus.com/articles/15274-coldplay-ghost-stories-review
  • Options
    (Not sure if it's already been done but while thinking about this i have a lot more solo artists that i like than bands.)

In no particular order

Alesana
    The Who
    The National
    MCR
    The Beatles
  • Options
    The Jam
    The Specials
    Dexy's
    OMD
    The Clash

• Options
    Springsteen
    Manic street preachers
    Big Country
    Rolling Stones
    Radiohead
  • Options
    Beatles
    Stones
    Four Seasons
    Supremes
    Madness
  • Options
    Salad said:

a bit off topic since I fortunately didn't notice them mentioned on this thread, but ... a heartfelt review of Coldplay's latest offering:
    http://thequietus.com/articles/15274-coldplay-ghost-stories-review

LOL - that is quality!!!
  • Options

(Not sure if it's already been done but while thinking about this i have a lot more solo artists that i like than bands.)

In no particular order

Alesana
    The Who
    The National
    MCR
    The Beatles

Solo artists will come up.