Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Surrey ccc

Comments

• I find it irritating when young cricketers leave in this way the county that nurtured them, when they are still learning the game. I'd be worried if I was a Warks supporter, if someone with no track record is guaranteed to bat in the top 3

Ryan Davies left us for Somerset at the age of 18/19, lured by the prospect of first team cricket. After one season they signed Steven Davies, and now he's back in their second 11...His replacement keeper at Kent, Adam Rouse has ended up playing plenty of matches, with Billings away on ODI and playing T20...

• I find it irritating when young cricketers leave in this way the county that nurtured them, when they are still learning the game. I'd be worried if I was a Warks supporter, if someone with no track record is guaranteed to bat in the top 3

Ryan Davies left us for Somerset at the age of 18/19, lured by the prospect of first team cricket. After one season they signed Steven Davies, and now he's back in their second 11...His replacement keeper at Kent, Adam Rouse has ended up playing plenty of matches, with Billings away on ODI and playing T20...

Yes it is incredibly annoying. I'm sure they made it plain to him how key he was to our plans for the future. Buying stoneman probably annoyed him as it meant there was no question over the openers slots.
  • I was thinking about the pitches during the test, surely Stewart and Di Venuto tell the groundsman what sort of pitches they want as the ECB do?

The one used for the last T20 was on its 3rd T20 in a week while the test one was being prepared, be interesting to see what is used tomorrow night.

Bang on. I had a rant about this on the England cricket thread. When we've had terrible pitches all season with absolutely nothing in them for the bowlers and it has cost us hugely. To then go and see the perfect pitch produced for the test match is a bit of a kick in the teeth. The groundsmans is clearly capable of producing decent wickets so it must be some kind of plan by Stewart/Divo/Batty. Are we banking on winning the toss batting first and scoreboard pressure winning us the game? Says a lot about their faith in the bowling attack.

I'm certain it was a factor considered by Ansari and Footit when they chose to leave.
  • I was thinking about the pitches during the test, surely Stewart and Di Venuto tell the groundsman what sort of pitches they want as the ECB do?

The one used for the last T20 was on its 3rd T20 in a week while the test one was being prepared, be interesting to see what is used tomorrow night.

Bang on. I had a rant about this on the England cricket thread. When we've had terrible pitches all season with absolutely nothing in them for the bowlers and it has cost us hugely. To then go and see the perfect pitch produced for the test match is a bit of a kick in the teeth. The groundsmans is clearly capable of producing decent wickets so it must be some kind of plan by Stewart/Divo/Batty. Are we banking on winning the toss batting first and scoreboard pressure winning us the game? Says a lot about their faith in the bowling attack.

I'm certain it was a factor considered by Ansari and Footit when they chose to leave.
    I think the maybe club have hosted too many matches, 6 or 7 champions trophy, 2 tests?, A couple of ODI's, plus the domestic fixtures and the upcoming women's super league.

I would think it's more than most grounds, that's lot of work to prepare them all and with our dodgy weather some will suffer.

No doubt the international one's get the most attention to avoid any criticism and risk losing a few England matches.
  • If you keep bringing in new players or paying out for the KPs of the world there are less games for these players to play in.
  • MrOneLung said:

If you keep bringing in new players or paying out for the KPs of the world there are less games for these players to play in.

Except Sibley has played every T20 so far. All but one of our championship games and half of our one day cup games. It's not like he hasn't been playing. He knows how highly rated he is at the club.

I think the maybe club have hosted too many matches, 6 or 7 champions trophy, 2 tests?, A couple of ODI's, plus the domestic fixtures and the upcoming women's super league.

I would think it's more than most grounds, that's lot of work to prepare them all and with our dodgy weather some will suffer.

No doubt the international one's get the most attention to avoid any criticism and risk losing a few England matches.
    Agree to an extent. But the trouble is that the pitches have almost been too 'good' I.e. they have been too good for batsmen with nothing there for the bowlers (Hampshire champ game was awful). A pitch that was a bit old and a bit deteriorated would have something there for the bowlers at least giving us a chance.
  • Match tonight against sussex at Hove. No KP or Sanga or Sibley but Henriques is back!

Expect to line up

Roy
    Finch
    Burns
    Henriques
    Foakes
    Pope
    Sam
    Tom
    Meaker
    Batty
    Dernbach

Stoneman could play.

Batting looks weak other than the openers and Moises.
  • Being rumoured that Botham in his role as chairman of Durham said something like 'the way things are going at surrey we could see Scott back soon' who knows what he meant. Could have been referring to players leaving Surrey in general or he could have spoken to him and know he's not happy. I'm unsure.
  • Clarke coming in tomorrow, Sibley going the other way!!
  • Sponsored links:

Yeah I meant our game was tomorrow not tonight.
    Where have you heard this? I thought Clarke wasn't coming until the end of the season. He's not in the squad.
  • Being rumoured that Botham in his role as chairman of Durham said something like 'the way things are going at surrey we could see Scott back soon' who knows what he meant. Could have been referring to players leaving Surrey in general or he could have spoken to him and know he's not happy. I'm unsure.

Well Borthwick seems to have struggled at Surrey, and is miles off an England callup which I assume was one of his motivations

Where have you heard this? I thought Clarke wasn't coming until the end of the season. He's not in the squad.
    Seems the logical thing to do if it suits both players.

Seems the logical thing to do if it suits both players.

Just spotted this. Good news I guess. Not sure of I'd put him in the team though. Henriques has that all rounder spot for me.

Well Borthwick seems to have struggled at Surrey, and is miles off an England callup which I assume was one of his motivations
    Yes. But I'd be disappointed if we allowed another good player to leave for questionable reasons. We have enough of a rebuilding job to do already in the summer.
  • We're playing tonight, tomorrow and Sunday so i expect him to feature at some point.
  • We're playing tonight, tomorrow and Sunday so i expect him to feature at some point.

Ohh I'm majorly confused then. We do have a game tonight.
  • Sussex tonight, Glamorgan tomorrow and Somerset Sunday, tomorrow only one at the oval
  • Sussex tonight, Glamorgan tomorrow and Somerset Sunday, tomorrow only one at the oval

Thanks. Thought I was going mad.
  • Surrey set Sussex 149 to win, another failure with the bat, only Henriques and Pope really turned up.

30+ runs short judging previous scores at Hove this season so it's down to the bowlers to save us again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Surrey set Sussex 149 to win, another failure with the bat, only Henriques and Pope really turned up.

30+ runs short judging previous scores at Hove this season so it's down to the bowlers to save us again.

Thanks for the update Chef. I've been travelling so haven't been able to follow the game
  • Just checked the score. Well this is going well...
  • I didn't expect Sussex to win so easily, seeing that they were bottom of the table. Hopefully they've had their good batting performance, and will lose to Kent tomorrow :smile:
  • Didn't follow the game as I was travelling but looking back there seem some odd selection decisions and some odd bowling decisions.

We've played the last 4 games with just 5 bowler. Henriques in for Sanga gives is our 6th. Great. Why then go and play Borthwick? He's pointless as a second spinner and he's batting 9. Just play a batsman.

When the game is clearly getting away from is why not bring back Jade or Sam or Tom? Why mess around with your 5th and 6th bowlers or Meaker who had been destroyed...
  • Been busy again today. Just caught up with the last few balls of the game. Bloody close finish thanks to TC, what an innings!

Doesn't seem like were playing well.

Seems like the extra 2 bowlers is confusing us as we try to bowl them all and aren't sure who is best when.

When we had 5 bowlers we had a plan. They all knew their jobs and they did it well.

A long break either side of 2 abandoned games hasn't helped.
  • Just caught the result, too many batsmen just not turning up and Roy going first ball puts us under pressure immediately when we don't like to chase.

Take away TC's knock and would have posted under 150 again.

Don't get the the bowling changes either, Jade, TC, Sam and Batty will always bowl their 4 so if the wicket is pace on Meaker bowls the other 4, if there is some spin the Bothwick does.

Galmorgan probably would have won at their place and Hants have lost all their matches at home so would like to think we would have won that one, so the rain hasn't cost us too much, everyone has lost matches to the weather and that's why the group is so tight, must win Sunday tho.
  • A dearth of posts on here since Friday....

I wonder why ?

:wink:

( Only kidding , guys. I feel your pain)
  • I've been off travelling the globe (well Switzerland France and Italy) for a week and so havent really been keeping up with all this. Looking at the scorecard it was dissapoining not to win yesterday having them 45-5 but Surrey fans know all to well what Van Der Merwe can do to you.
  • On route, the sun is shining and hoping for a good performance after the failures of the last couple of games.

Nothing but a win will do I feel.

Come on the Rey!
  • Surrey post 193/2.

Finch with 114, Roy with a 50 and a guy in the crowd caught the last Finch 6 for a grand!!