Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Surrey ccc

Comments

• Options
    Leading wicket takers for the division.
    Impressive from Morkel in that only played 10 games and presumably around half would be at the Oval Runway

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

Leading wicket takers for the division.
    Impressive from Morkel in that only played 10 games and presumably around half would be at the Oval Runway

Best average of the lot by some way.
  • Options
    Last time England beat Windies away was in 2004, when Gareth Batty and Ricki Clarke were in the squad.
  • Options

Last time England beat Windies away was in 2004, when Gareth Batty and Ricki Clarke were in the squad.

Would this be the series in which Gareth Batty scored 8 with the bat and had figures of 2-185 with the ball and all that Ricki Clarke did was carry the drinks?
  • Options
    Batty was part of history though!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFLqVBR5SK8
  • Options
    There is a quiz on BBC asking if you could name the 16 players in the squad - i could only get 10. Kept thinking 2005 Ashes players must have been there but some surprising names (like the ones above!).
  • Options
    Morne Morkel signs a new contract until the end of the 2020 season

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/47443218
  • Options
    Morne Morkel signs a new contract until the end of the 2020 season

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/47443218
    Superb 
  • Options
    Day One of the four-day game against the MCC in Dubai:

MCC 245 all out, Surrey 20-0

McKerr and van den Bergh finished with 3-40 and 3-54 respectively.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Day Two:

MCC 265 all out, Surrey 389-4

Centuries for Ollie Pope and Jamie Smith, the latter on his first-class debut, as they put on 245 together.

(Apologies for the typo - MCC were 265 all out in the first innings, not 245)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Day Three:

MCC 265 and 221-1, Surrey 520

A century for Sibley as the MCC respond well on a favourable batting pitch to end the day trailing by 34.
  • Options
    Sibley has scored centuries in his last 4 matches opening the batting. Ashes bolter? Or are we set on big Jason Roy nicking off as he's not a real opener
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Sibley has scored centuries in his last 4 matches opening the batting. Ashes bolter? Or are we set on big Jason Roy nicking off as he's not a real opener
    If Sibley was still at Surrey (was the youngest player to score a double century in a CC match when playing for them) he would have had a better chance of playing in the Ashes.

• Options
    Leuth said:
    If Sibley was still at Surrey (was the youngest player to score a double century in a CC match when playing for them) he would have had a better chance of playing in the Ashes.

Except he wouldn't. He was barely playing at Surrey in his last season and when he did it was batting 6. Since then Pope has come through and taken another spot. He wouldnt have displaced wither of our openers and we have Ryan patel who can open too. At most he would have played the 2 games Arun Harinath played in the cc last season.

Was gutted when he left as he was clearly a great talent and I was a huge fan of him. Understood it though as he didn't kick on for over 2 seasons after he first broke through then with the arrival of Stoneman/Borthwick and the emergence of Pope/Patel batting spots were limited. 

Hate to say it but we haven't missed him. 

Great thing about him is that ever since youth cricket when he gets a hundred it's usually a big one. 
  • Options
    Been mad busy with a whole load of stuff going on. Should be over the worst of it now so hopefully write my usual ore season ramblings at some point this week. Will look at the squad, pre season, some messages that I've been passed on from the members forum a few weeks back etc.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Except he wouldn't. He was barely playing at Surrey in his last season and when he did it was batting 6. Since then Pope has come through and taken another spot. He wouldnt have displaced wither of our openers and we have Ryan patel who can open too. At most he would have played the 2 games Arun Harinath played in the cc last season.

Was gutted when he left as he was clearly a great talent and I was a huge fan of him. Understood it though as he didn't kick on for over 2 seasons after he first broke through then with the arrival of Stoneman/Borthwick and the emergence of Pope/Patel batting spots were limited. 

Great thing about him is that ever since youth cricket when he gets a hundred it's usually a big one. 
    Agree Canters. I also believe that Sibley has the potential to become an England opener. He's a natural opening bat in the old mould and once he has played himself in he's likely to get a big score. He started last season poorly, if I remember rightly but improved as the season progressed. I think he'd be good in the England set-up and probably more of a Test player than Burns or Jennings.

Warwickshire and Sibley are back in Division One this year. That can only help his cause.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Agree Canters. I also believe that Sibley has the potential to become an England opener. He's a natural opening bat in the old mould and once he has played himself in he's likely to get a big score. He started last season poorly, if I remember rightly but improved as the season progressed. I think he'd be good in the England set-up and probably more of a Test player than Burns or Jennings.

Warwickshire and Sibley are back in Division One this year. That can only help his cause.
    Wouldn't say more of a test player than burns but certainly a better bet than Jennings and a bunch of others We have tried in the last year.
  • Options
    Day Four:

MCC reach 265-4 in their second innings before rain stops play and brings the game to a close.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Stoneman averaged 33 with the bat last season in the CC. He averaged 27 playing for England.

Sibley, still 23, is over 8 years younger than Stoneman and I would be surprised if he doesn't achieve more in his career. He has a game that isn't limited to 4 day cricket - an average of 33 at 120 in T20 is decent.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Stoneman averaged 33 with the bat last season in the CC. He averaged 27 playing for England.

Sibley, still 23, is over 8 years younger than Stoneman and I would be surprised if he doesn't achieve more in his career. He has a game that isn't limited to 4 day cricket - an average of 33 at 120 in T20 is decent.
    I agree with you. I think he will have a much better career than stoneman and may well have a good international career. I've always rated him highly.

My point was that at that point in time he wasn't playing for Surrey and he likely would have played much less last season had he been at Surrey rather than Warwickshire.

Had he not have moved he woukdnt have had the same opportunities and we wpuldnt be talking about him in this way 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You have a great squad for this season, in all tournaments, stronger than a few countries in the world cup
  • Options
    Thanks Canters. I follow from afar but am unlikely to get to any games this season as the WC is on when I'm in England, and I refuse to pay the prices they're charging. I also have the family with me and I really can't see my Thai missus and Thai/English daughter sitting through a day's cricket!

That has to be the strongest squad in the country and I feel you're right about Meaker and Dunn, who will get very little game time. I also think this will be Batty's swansong with only a few limited over games to play.......but I thought the same last year!

Surrey should win something again this year and must surely be in contention for all trophies, just need some consistency in the one dayers and T20s.
  • Options
    Looking forward to this season, not sure I can make my annual 4 day pilgrimage to the Oval this year, so might have to settle for a T20 or 2. Squad looking very strong, feel sorry for Meaker, injuries have really wrecked a very promising career. Great fan of Burns, not totally convinced yet that he is test class, but hope to be proved wrong. Pope is quality and should be a star this year.
  • Options
    The other thing I meant to say.

I think Essex and Notts are the teams to watch out for. Essex were very good last year and with a certain knight of the realm leading the way they will be a formidable side.

Notts have recruited well and their batting looks strong. Jake ball leading with the ball and with Broad available for a number of games will have a strong attack. 

Harder to tell in the one day cup and as for the slogfest no one has a clue. It's an absolute lottery where anyone can beat anyone. 
  • Options
    I genuinely think the standard of Div 1 is going to be the best it has been for quite some time. There are some top class teams and some top class players in there. Our internationals will be available more this summer. 

Whatever happens it will be a great summer for cricket. And the last before it's ruined by the 100 bollocks so let's all go and enjoy it.

Come on the rey.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Glosfan said:
    Looking forward to this season, not sure I can make my annual 4 day pilgrimage to the Oval this year, so might have to settle for a T20 or 2. Squad looking very strong, feel sorry for Meaker, injuries have really wrecked a very promising career. Great fan of Burns, not totally convinced yet that he is test class, but hope to be proved wrong. Pope is quality and should be a star this year.

Yeah. Meaker isn't exactly young anymore. He did have a positive winter playing grade cricket in AUS and I believe he was called up to train with the NSW squad so I think he made a good impression. He does need to be playing cricket though and I simply cant see that happening at Surrey. Mckerr is a similar type of bowler and seems to have leapfrogged him in the pecking order.

There is nothing I want more than a fit and firing Meaker - he really is a force in all formats and a really athletic fielder and useful lower order bat. I just think a loan or move is the only way that is going to happen.

Kent could do a hell of a lot worse.

• Options
    At the Oval this morning. First day of the season is always special, despite it being closer to Christmas than the summer these days. Bright but chilly. 

• Options
    Morning all!

Surrey win the toss and will bat.
  • Options
    Surrey won the toss and batting first. Burns and Stoneman opening.