Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Surrey ccc

Comments

• Options
    8 down
    Morkel again
  • Options
    120-8, another 12 required
  • Options
    9 down
    Unbelievable
  • Options
    Run out! Coles and ten Doeschate run two, but a mix up sees Coles run out

Coles run out Jacks 5

124-9, another 8 to win
  • Options
    LOL - 8 on the boundary!
  • Options
    This is the most Essex performance yet
  • Options
    Shocking behaviour from Dernbach.
  • Options
    129-9, another 3 required
  • Options
    He wasn't looking at the ball he was just trying to shoulder charge Quinn - and then presumably run him out!
  • Options
    ten Doeschate takes a single, leaving Quinn on strike

130-9, another 2 required
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Quinn headbutts the bouncer from Morkel.
  • Options
    That was Surrey's chance to win it.
  • Options
    Brian Close would have been fielding 6" from the bat not 10 yards away.
  • Options
    ten Doeschate scores the winning runs off Dernbach to finish 53 not out

Essex win by 1 wicket

What a way to finish an incredible summer.
  • Options
    Never in doubt
  • Options
    I *almost* feel sorry for Surrey. Almost.
  • Options
    Had Virdi not been so inexperienced and say a Batty been playing they would have won this game.
  • Options
    67 for the first innings didn't help either
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

67 for the first innings didn't help either

Having won the toss and elected to bat as well.
  • Options
    Would have been some way to end the season with a world record chase to remain unbeaten, hope Canters got there to see the trophy presentation.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:

I *almost* feel sorry for Surrey. Almost.

Gulp !

I'm filling up......
  • Options
    Living in Canada I've not watched County Cricket for a very long time but was at the Oval yesterday - Roy and especially Ollie Pope's batting was a joy. It wasn't T20 type outrageous shot selection just incredible confidence against a decent bowling attack. Too bad Surrey couldn't deliver an incredible end result.
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:

44 years as a member, that was two of the best days cricket I've seen at the Oval. Pleased to see the trophy back at the Oval.

44 years.
    Total respect
  • Options

Would have been some way to end the season with a world record chase to remain unbeaten, hope Canters got there to see the trophy presentation.

I didn't (see rant on general things that annoy you thread). I'm pissed off about that. I'm pissed of about my whole fucking day.

All I'm gonna say is what an advert for Championship cricket.

Greatest game on earth. Essex deserved the win but I'm glad we pushed them close.

Say what you want about the quality of county cricket there was a he'll of a lot of quality on show this match.
    Top post.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    That was one of the best games I've ever seen (on TV).

Surrey did brilliantly after their 1st innings but two things were crucial in them not getting an amazing win;

Clarke (a fine player) threw it away instead of taking a look at Coles when he went round the wicket.

Burns keeping Virdi on past 6 overs. A more experienced captain would have recognised that he wasn't keeping it tight enough and could be swept to the silly short leg side boundary. If Clarke had bowled then I'm sure Surrey would win that game by 30 runs. There was enough in that wicket for the seamers.

Brilliant game and well done to Surrey for their title win. They've been the best team.....by a mile.
  • Options
    The best overseas fast bowlers we have had at the Oval since I have been watching are Sylvester Clarke and Waqar Younis. Morne Morkel's spell today was as good as anything they did in a Surrey shirt, albeit in a losing effort.
  • Options
    I almost put money on a Surrey win after both teams' first innings. I'd have lost it, of course, but what a game. I only followed on here and Cricbuzz but it was tense, like following a tight game on the Charlton Life match thread.

It was a game that in an odd way demonstrated why Surrey are the champions. You can count the number of poor days Surrey have had this season on one hand - and two of those days were in this match.

This seems to be a special Surrey side and I hope the new recruits will embrace the current team spirit.

A fantastic advert for County Cricket and I'd have loved to have been there.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Sam Curran gets Central Contract with England and Tom Curran gets incremental contract.