Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Surrey ccc

Comments

• Options

wmcf123 said:

AshBurton said:

Big day today... need some runs and lots of them. My predictions are a century for Burns and one for Roy (to further their cause for a teat call up) with Davies and Harinath chipping in with 50s.

Mm, first time on this thread (as your archetypal Charlton & Kent follower) but immediately intrigued by the prospect of a teat call up for Burns and Roy. I guess they're still quite young then?
    Roy has no technique whatsoever
    Not sure how much you have seen of Roy in the last 4/5 years or what you are basing this on. But frankly it's not true.

Even from just watching his innings in the world cup you can't say that. He played some absolutely exquisite straight drives that had the commentators drooling.

I have seen a lot of Roy for Surrey in all formats of the game and whilst I don't think he is/will ever be a test player to say he has no technique is just wrong.
    I think it is his positive attitude that leads to a breakdown in technique. If you look at Root then reason he can play in all circumstances is because he adapts to the game situation.

Roy has just the two speeds - dot and boundary as evidenced by yesterday - 37 off 36 that included eight boundaries, one 2 and just 3 singles so he scored at more than a run a ball but almost 70% of balls received were dots. He has an incredibly high strike rate for first class cricket of 85 compared to Root's 55 but their averages are 37 and 52 respectively.

Yes Test cricket has moved on and batsmen are expected to score quicker than in a former era. But you still need to recognise the percentage calls and risk/return of playing a particular shot and that occupying the increase is as important as imposing yourself on the opposition bowlers. Root understands that but Roy and Hales have yet to adapt. They are still, however, young enough to do so.

Agree his approach may be wrong but maintain his technique is not in the slightest bit faulty.
  • Options
    S Curran out for 28.
    Batty gone for 6.

360-8 139 ahead.. We have fought back but look to be losing this...
  • Options

wmcf123 said:

AshBurton said:

Big day today... need some runs and lots of them. My predictions are a century for Burns and one for Roy (to further their cause for a teat call up) with Davies and Harinath chipping in with 50s.

Mm, first time on this thread (as your archetypal Charlton & Kent follower) but immediately intrigued by the prospect of a teat call up for Burns and Roy. I guess they're still quite young then?
    Not sure how much you have seen of Roy in the last 4/5 years or what you are basing this on. But frankly it's not true.

Even from just watching his innings in the world cup you can't say that. He played some absolutely exquisite straight drives that had the commentators drooling.

I have seen a lot of Roy for Surrey in all formats of the game and whilst I don't think he is/will ever be a test player to say he has no technique is just wrong.
    He's a useful one day player but he is loose outside off stump and is not solid defensively.
  • Options
    surrey need 4 wickets with notts needing 36

good game of cricket whatever happens
  • Options
    What a finish that was. Couldn't quite get over the line but certainly breath taking stuff. Give me a tight finish like that in a first class match over a T20 any day.

Some exceptional bowling from Curran T. Not sure why Curran S didn't bowl.

Despite the result the last couple days performance will give us belief we can compete at this level. TC is soo key to our prospects. Let's hope he stays fit and doesn't get overbowled as he was last year..
  • Options
    I suspect S Curran was not bowled yesterday for two reasons, first lack of experience in such a close game at this level and 2nd he will be away now doing his A levels, so best to give those bowlers who will be the mainstay of the attack for the next few weeks a work out.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    So.....The first round of fixtures in the cricket season......and only 1 county lost ?
    Shame.

*Bugger put this poxy thread on top again, still, probably the only thing slurrey will be top of in 2016.
  • Options

wmcf123 said:

AshBurton said:

I think it is his positive attitude that leads to a breakdown in technique. If you look at Root then reason he can play in all circumstances is because he adapts to the game situation.

Roy has just the two speeds - dot and boundary as evidenced by yesterday - 37 off 36 that included eight boundaries, one 2 and just 3 singles so he scored at more than a run a ball but almost 70% of balls received were dots. He has an incredibly high strike rate for first class cricket of 85 compared to Root's 55 but their averages are 37 and 52 respectively.

Yes Test cricket has moved on and batsmen are expected to score quicker than in a former era. But you still need to recognise the percentage calls and risk/return of playing a particular shot and that occupying the increase is as important as imposing yourself on the opposition bowlers. Root understands that but Roy and Hales have yet to adapt. They are still, however, young enough to do so.

Agree his approach may be wrong but maintain his technique is not in the slightest bit faulty.
    Coaches have, to a degree, also gone away from talking about technique - rather method i.e. what works for you. Malinga's technique, for example, was at face value shocking but it worked for him.

In Roy's case he scored 65 runs in the game with no less than 60 of those runs in boundaries - that's over 92% - with 57 out of 77 balls dot balls. That suggests that he simply does not know how to rotate the strike and if he believes the ball is in the slot he will go for it. But that puts pressure on him picking the right ball to go for and in that situation one mistake can and will be fatal.

So his and Hales' method has to change. Otherwise they won't make Test batsmen and certainly not openers at that level.
  • Options

wmcf123 said:

AshBurton said:

Coaches have, to a degree, also gone away from talking about technique - rather method i.e. what works for you. Malinga's technique, for example, was at face value shocking but it worked for him.

In Roy's case he scored 65 runs in the game with no less than 60 of those runs in boundaries - that's over 92% - with 57 out of 77 balls dot balls. That suggests that he simply does not know how to rotate the strike and if he believes the ball is in the slot he will go for it. But that puts pressure on him picking the right ball to go for and in that situation one mistake can and will be fatal.

So his and Hales' method has to change. Otherwise they won't make Test batsmen and certainly not openers at that level.
    Roy doesn't and shouldn't ever open in the longer format. But at 5/6 he can be hugely destructive..

As I've said above don't think he is a test batsman. But he is certainly very useful at County level and his technique is more than good enough. A lot of his shots are 'traditional' cricket shots. Sure he maybe needs to learn to adapt to the match situation. But he had at least another ten years in County cricket and I'm sure he will continue to be top class...
  • Options
    Sangakkara dropped on 34. Very obliging of Somerset :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Now he has 50.
  • Options
    As does Burns. 140-1 at lunch.
  • Options
    Century for Sangakkara! Great stuff from a classy player. 188-1.
  • Options
    200 up now. I could get used to this.
  • Options
    Burns chips back to van der Merwe for 80. 213-2.
  • Options
    Thanks for the updates. Good start for Surrey. Let's hope we can go big and get 500.

I worry about the make up of this team. Ansari back is good but we are a seamer short and don't need two spinners at this stage of the season. I would have Dunn/Burke/Pillans in for Batty with Burns to captain.
  • Options
    Davies edges to first slip off Groenewald for 7. 248-3.
  • Options

Davies edges to first slip off Groenewald for 7. 248-3.

Had hoped to our see more of the in form Davies at the start of the season, after his two tons in warm up.

He's very much an all or nothing player, brilliant and lovely to watch on his day, but so incredibly frustrating.
  • Options
    150 up for Sangakkara. 277-3.
  • Options
    And that's tea. Wonder if we'll see Roy open up in the evening session.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sangakkara goes for 171, caught at deep extra cover off Groenewald. 313-4

Absolutely brilliant innings. Getting him out gives Somerset a chance to get back in this game.
  • Options

Sangakkara goes for 171, caught at deep extra cover off Groenewald. 313-4

Absolutely brilliant innings. Getting him out gives Somerset a chance to get back in this game.

Sure agreed! Zafar is pretty stubborn though let's hope he grinds out a century.
  • Options
    Roy has his 50 and Surrey move past 350. 360-4.
  • Options
    Off for bad light.
  • Options
    Stick the fucking floodlights on and get on with it. Always annoys me this, the longer forms of cricket have enough challenges to face if it is to continue over the next few years. Don't create more challenges for yourself!
  • Options
    Back out again. 379-4.
  • Options
    Roy out lbw to Gregory for 85. 394-5.
  • Options

Roy out lbw to Gregory for 85. 394-5.

Annoying that Roy and burns couldn't go on... would have aided the cause significantly.
  • Options
    Off again for bad light.
  • Options
    Thanks for the updates be @EpsomAddick would love to have a pint with you if you are coming to the Burnley game?