Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Surrey ccc

Comments

• Thank Christ we survived those two overs at the end of the day... still disappointing that Notts were able to score so many in a day.
  • Thank Christ we survived those two overs at the end of the day... still disappointing that Notts were able to score so many in a day.

Yeah the run rate was pretty shambolic with most of the quick going at over 5 an over.. will need to work on that.

Yeah the run rate was pretty shambolic with most of the quick going at over 5 an over.. will need to work on that.
  • Big day today... need some runs and lots of them. My predictions are a century for Burns and one for Roy (to further their cause for a teat call up) with Davies and Harinath chipping in with 50s.

• For those interested, you can watch a live stream of the game (legal and no ads) by google Trent Bridge Live, and selecting the live stream tab.

It has no commentary but what I did yesterday was pair it with the BBC commentary, by pausing the commentary for around ten seconds to get the two in sync..
  • Not going well this.. Patel looking comfortable against the new ball bowling of Curran and Footit. A lot resting on the shoulders of these two this year so need a good start!

I bet Samit Patel enjoyed the buffet bowling...
  • For those interested, you can watch a live stream of the game (legal and no ads) by google Trent Bridge Live, and selecting the live stream tab.

It has no commentary but what I did yesterday was pair it with the BBC commentary, by pausing the commentary for around ten seconds to get the two in sync..

Thanks, canters, but think I'll pass on that.....

Thanks, canters, but think I'll pass on that.....

Always brightens up my day when you pop up on this thread Fanny!

Must be because this thread is so much better than the Kent one! ;)
  • 94-4

Canters is doing a rain dance as I type..........
  • 94-4

Canters is doing a rain dance as I type..........

Indeed. Bit of a wake up call for us now. Especially the batsmen, Div 1 is a step up and the batsmen need to prove they are up to it. Need this partnership to go big and the tail to chip in. #PrayForRain
  • Sponsored links:

• Big day today... need some runs and lots of them. My predictions are a century for Burns and one for Roy (to further their cause for a teat call up) with Davies and Harinath chipping in with 50s.

Close ;-)

222-8

Close ;-)

222-8
    We will come good. I should really learn not to put the mockers on batsmen so much.

Close ;-)

222-8
    We will come good. I should really learn not to put the mockers on batsmen so much.
    They will have another chance to come good very shortly - when they follow on.

Close ;-)

222-8
    They will have another chance to come good very shortly - when they follow on.
    You are a funny chap! ;)

Looks like we are to follow on... let's hope we bat for well over a day to put this game safe! #PrayForRain
  • My rain dance has worked! We have a delayed start. Inspection at 1:25

#ComeOnTheRey
  • Sad news about Notts player James Taylor. Forced to retire die to a heart condition. Real shame that.

He had finally nailed down a test spot and looked very much like that piece of the middle order puzzle in place. Not to mention his short leg fielding. Had also got himself into consideration for the one day team on the back of that hundred against Aus last year.

Shame he won't have the opportunity to kick on. Real shame.... should have played a lot more tests.
  • Been a good day for Surrey. Have fought back with the bat and fought hard.

Base was set by Harinath who has just moved to his hundred (quite a slow one) the first by a Surrey player in the Championship this season. So well done to the Baron.

Sanga was there with him for a while and made a very good 83.

Davies again disappointed with a duck after hitting two centuries in the warm up match. Roy hit a useful 37 off 35 balls. But we could really have done with him playing a "proper" innings and taking some time out the game. Foakes is doing well for 24.
  • 288-5 lead by 67.

Harinath 109no Foakes 25no

I feel we will still lose this game if we don't bat a fair bit more time tomorrow morning.

Good to see some fight with the bat. Let's hope the bowlers can replicate tomorrow. And who knows what will happen.

Smash our way to a quick lead of 220 and bowl them all out! Sure would be a great statement to send. And will make the team believe they can win from any situation.

Not likely I know..
  • Foakes is doing well for 24.

And the Canters kiss of death works again. Foakes c&b Patel 26
  • Ouch, still thinking about the lacerated testicle. !!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Ouch, still thinking about the lacerated testicle. !!!

I know.. poor fella! Was just putting himself back in the frame for the first team as well!

Mm, first time on this thread (as your archetypal Charlton & Kent follower) but immediately intrigued by the prospect of a teat call up for Burns and Roy. I guess they're still quite young then?
  • AshBurton said:

Big day today... need some runs and lots of them. My predictions are a century for Burns and one for Roy (to further their cause for a teat call up) with Davies and Harinath chipping in with 50s.

Mm, first time on this thread (as your archetypal Charlton & Kent follower) but immediately intrigued by the prospect of a teat call up for Burns and Roy. I guess they're still quite young then?
    Unlike the Kent thread, there is actually some cricket to talk about!
  • AshBurton said:

Big day today... need some runs and lots of them. My predictions are a century for Burns and one for Roy (to further their cause for a teat call up) with Davies and Harinath chipping in with 50s.

Roy has no technique whatsoever
  • AshBurton said:

Yes both are 25.

For me Burns has a serious chance of a test spot. Could be the answer to our opener problems! He is a tough player who will fight and not give his wicket away. But is also capable of going up a gear. (He did well in one day cricket last year too). I am not the only one who thinks Burns should be considered there have been a few articles saying so recently. Obviously he need to repeat last year's firm but in Div 1 this year.

Having watched a lot of Roy in the last 5 years I personally don't see him as a test player. But I am led to believe that Bayliss rates him highly and wants to get I'm in that middle order so if he has a good start to the season don't be surprised if he makes a squad or two..
  • AshBurton said:

In fact, there's far too much serious cricket analysis for my liking - serves me right for coming onto a Surrey thread and trying to make a joke about nipples.
  • wmcf123 said:

AshBurton said:

Not sure how much you have seen of Roy in the last 4/5 years or what you are basing this on. But frankly it's not true.

Even from just watching his innings in the world cup you can't say that. He played some absolutely exquisite straight drives that had the commentators drooling.

I have seen a lot of Roy for Surrey in all formats of the game and whilst I don't think he is/will ever be a test player to say he has no technique is just wrong.
  • AshBurton said:

AshBurton said:

In fact, there's far too much serious cricket analysis for my liking - serves me right for coming onto a Surrey thread and trying to make a joke about nipples.
    Once Surrey are stranded in the relegation places later this season, they'll be happy to talk about nipples :smile:
  • AshBurton said:

AshBurton said:

Once Surrey are stranded in the relegation places later this season, they'll be happy to talk about nipples :smile:
    Too much talent in this squad for relegation.

I may be saying that more in hope than expectation. I was hoping the cricket would provide some relief after a torrid football season. Not sure I can handle two relegations in one year.
  • wmcf123 said:

AshBurton said:

Not sure how much you have seen of Roy in the last 4/5 years or what you are basing this on. But frankly it's not true.

Even from just watching his innings in the world cup you can't say that. He played some absolutely exquisite straight drives that had the commentators drooling.

I have seen a lot of Roy for Surrey in all formats of the game and whilst I don't think he is/will ever be a test player to say he has no technique is just wrong.
    I think it is his positive attitude that leads to a breakdown in technique. If you look at Root then reason he can play in all circumstances is because he adapts to the game situation.

Roy has just the two speeds - dot and boundary as evidenced by yesterday - 37 off 36 that included eight boundaries, one 2 and just 3 singles so he scored at more than a run a ball but almost 70% of balls received were dots. He has an incredibly high strike rate for first class cricket of 85 compared to Root's 55 but their averages are 37 and 52 respectively.

Yes Test cricket has moved on and batsmen are expected to score quicker than in a former era. But you still need to recognise the percentage calls and risk/return of playing a particular shot and that occupying the increase is as important as imposing yourself on the opposition bowlers. Root understands that but Roy and Hales have yet to adapt. They are still, however, young enough to do so.