Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Surrey ccc

Comments

• I know i shouldnt be saying this, but you wonder, after Stonemans great start to the season has shown how much the difference is between batting at CLS v The Oval. I get the feeling that should he continue in this vein, then England will def come calling, especially if they are looking for potential alternatives to Hameed and Jennings.
  • 410-6 at lunch
  • I know i shouldnt be saying this, but you wonder, after Stonemans great start to the season has shown how much the difference is between batting at CLS v The Oval. I get the feeling that should he continue in this vein, then England will def come calling, especially if they are looking for potential alternatives to Hameed and Jennings.

I don't think there is any doubt that the pitch is better at the Oval. But it's not like Stoneman has come out of nowhere and started scoring runs he's had 4 years of 1000 runs plus. Also one of his centuries this season has been away from home.

I do think he will be next in line for an England call up. But I don't think it'll happen soon. England should back Hameed and Jenkins through the summer. Minimum for the first series. The only way we are in danger is if there is injuries to them or Cook.
  • S Curran lbw b Patel 32
    Batty lbw b Patel 6

430-8
  • Dernbach c Bell b Wright 4

434-9

I don't think there is any doubt that the pitch is better at the Oval. But it's not like Stoneman has come out of nowhere and started scoring runs he's had 4 years of 1000 runs plus. Also one of his centuries this season has been away from home.

I do think he will be next in line for an England call up. But I don't think it'll happen soon. England should back Hameed and Jenkins through the summer. Minimum for the first series. The only way we are in danger is if there is injuries to them or Cook.
    Hameed is struggling for form at the moment - since his last innings in India, he has scored just 183 runs in 11 innings - so will be interesting if this continues to see whether England does select him.
  • First innings lead of 105.
  • Footitt c Porterfield b Patel 2

437 all out, a lead of 105.
  • Went from 394-5 to 437 all out.
  • Still probably enough
  • Sponsored links:

Yes, he was on the short list last season, but England wont ignore him if he keeps scoring runs like he is at the moment.
  • Decent 1st innings lead, we must have a chance if we can strike early with the new ball
  • Porterfield c Foakes b Dernbach 15

43-1
  • Trott c Sangakkara b Dernbach 0

46-2
  • Tea - 60-2, Westwood 34* and Bell 7*
  • There's Jade proving me wrong.
  • There's Jade proving me wrong.

Was just thinking the same lol
  • edited April 2017

There's Jade proving me wrong.

Was just thinking the same lol
    I'd much rather he did!

I'd still have Meaker though! Or Dunn.
  • Westwood reaches 50

102-2
  • edited April 2017
    Need to break this partnership!
  • Sponsored links:

• I agree re Dernbach/Meaker - i think we should release Dernbach to Kent - much more his level,
  • Dernbach is a bit of a mystery to me.
    When he first came on the scene he had massive potential, He could bowl around the 90 Mark and had a lot of different slower balls.
    He even forced his way into the England set-up for a while.
    I always felt that he overdone the slower balls and he used his quicker ball as a surprise delivery. It should have been the other way round.
    He hasn't really kicked on as i felt he should have done and i doubt now that he will.
  • What has happened to Footit
    When he first came on the scene he had massive potential, He could bowl around the 90 Mark and had a lot of different slower balls.
    I always felt that he overdone the slower balls and he used his quicker ball as a surprise delivery. It should have been the other way round.
    He hasn't really kicked on as i felt he should have done and i doubt now that he will.

He is still exceptional in the T20 and one day stuff at County level. Very much worth keeping for that. However he shouldn't be more than a rotation/cover option in the championship!
  • Westwood c Foakes b T Curran 52

113-3, lead is 8

He is still exceptional in the T20 and one day stuff at County level. Very much worth keeping for that. However he shouldn't be more than a rotation/cover option in the championship!
    I agree.
    I also agree with you that Meaker should start in the championship
  • Bell reaches 50

126-3
  • Javid b Borthwick 8

Close of play - 162-4, lead of 57. Bell 68* and Ambrose 8*
  • Thanks for the updates Epsom.
    Need a couple of quick wickets in the morning and it could get interesting.
  • Cheers Epsom.