Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Surrey ccc

Comments

• What a turnaround!

What's he doing playing for the Netherlands? S Africa do seem to be losing an awful lot of players to other countries or Kolpak deals.

• We effed that one up. Dropped catches lose matches. There's no way Somerset are coming back at 27-6.

Oh well, onto the next one....
  • What a turnaround!

What's he doing playing for the Netherlands? S Africa do seem to be losing an awful lot of players to other countries or Kolpak deals.

He played a bit for SA years ago but they dropped him so he decided to eff off I think
  • Leuth said:

What a turnaround!

He played a bit for SA years ago but they dropped him so he decided to eff off I think
    Correct. One of those situations where he was in and out of the SA side and got wind of the quota system and decided cricket is too short a career . In SA, you are paid a relative pittance if you are not in the national side.
    A bit like Kyle Abbott has done with Hants this year and also , i think, Clin Ingram with Glam.
    There are some serious second tier SA players out there plying their trade.
  • Leuth said:

What a turnaround!

Correct. One of those situations where he was in and out of the SA side and got wind of the quota system and decided cricket is too short a career . In SA, you are paid a relative pittance if you are not in the national side.
    A bit like Kyle Abbott has done with Hants this year and also , i think, Clin Ingram with Glam.
    SA cricket will have serious problems if it doesn't find a way to stop this exodus, there are more Saffers playing for counties now than in the apartheid days...

• Leuth said:

What a turnaround!

Except Abbott was a first choice Test bowler. But yes. Another reason why world cricket is in a mess.
  • Leuth said:

What a turnaround!

SA cricket will have serious problems if it doesn't find a way to stop this exodus, there are more Saffers playing for counties now than in the apartheid days...

Its the changing face of SA cricket and society, you have only to look at the quality of the non-white players coming through to realise they also now have more kids coming through than they used to . For example, in my sons school in Cape Town, in a year of some 60 boys, they still run 3 cricket teams - now thats amazing, coz it basically means that over half the year are playing cricket - try comparing that with England.
    Out of the back of that, consequently you are having kids playing cricket now who were maybe denied before - thus the likes of Rabada and Bavuma are now emerging.
  • Leuth said:

What a turnaround!

Its the changing face of SA cricket and society, you have only to look at the quality of the non-white players coming through to realise they also now have more kids coming through than they used to . For example, in my sons school in Cape Town, in a year of some 60 boys, they still run 3 cricket teams - now thats amazing, coz it basically means that over half the year are playing cricket - try comparing that with England.
    Out of the back of that, consequently you are having kids playing cricket now who were maybe denied before - thus the likes of Rabada and Bavuma are now emerging.
    There might be great non-white players coming through, but clearly no money in the domestic game.
  • Not a great deal, unless you are in the elite.
  • Leuth said:

Leuth said:

What a turnaround!

Except Abbott was a first choice Test bowler. But yes. Another reason why world cricket is in a mess.
    Well, i sorta know what you're getting at, but i would dispute that Abbott was first choice - especially when youve got the likes of Rabada,Steyn,Morkel,Philander,Morris,Parnell,Phelukwayo around, OK, he might have have been playing at the time coz of injuries but he knew his time was limited, what with the new quota system being announced too.
  • Sponsored links:

• I've got a little fee time so I'm gonna try and get a few excuses out there for both Surrey and my dreadful performances.

It sounded like that was a pitch where it was very difficult to play on initially but once you got in it was much easier to play.

That is the sort of innings that happens vary rarely when everything the batsman tries comes off. There's not a huge amount you can do about it and other than the Sanga drop he didn't give a chance. He 'rode the wave' incredibly well and made the most of it. You can't legislate for something special like that. I will say we should have brought Jade and Sam back a lot earlier. There is no point to saving them for the death if they've pretty much won by that point. We needed a wicket. They were the ones who could do it.

Having said that criminal to let them get away from where we had them. Perhaps were lacking that killer instinct to kill them hem hem while they're down.

I think our batting looks pretty weak in this format. Roy can't come back soon enough.

Whilst they all got starts today I think we have too many slow nudges the 1s and 2s type batsmen and no one who can take the game away.

Foakes got a good score and a very good strike rate but he will never dominate the bowlers like Roy can...
  • Last line makes it sound like you want to drop the bloke who scored 92 off 65 and is also the best wicketkeeper in the country ;)
  • edited April 2017
    Leuth said:

Last line makes it sound like you want to drop the bloke who scored 92 off 65 and is also the best wicketkeeper in the country ;)

Not at all. I am a huge fan of Foakes. I'm am simply saying we have too many batsmen of that ilk. He is one I would keep in the lineup as is Sanga (obviously) and Borthwick. But that only leaves room, in an ideal world, for one of Sibley/Stoneman/Burns. Yesterday we played all 3 because we had no one else. Think it highlights how this is our weakest format this year....
  • Cmon Canters we all know its your fault.
  • So we won today :smile:

Glamorgan 239, Surrey 183-2, winning by 8 wickets by Duckworth-Lewis. Sangakkara made 81*, passing 19000 runs in List A cricket, and Stoneman made 74, bringing up his 50 off just 36 balls. Dernbach and Sam Curran both bowled well, taking 3-30 and 3-51 respectively.

Sorry for not doing updates, but I find it harder to muster as much enthusiasm for one-day cricket as I do for tests and the County Championship! I'm an old codger at heart...
  • So we won today :smile:

Glamorgan 239, Surrey 183-2, winning by 8 wickets by Duckworth-Lewis. Sangakkara made 81*, passing 19000 runs in List A cricket, and Stoneman made 74, bringing up his 50 off just 36 balls. Dernbach and Sam Curran both bowled well, taking 3-30 and 3-51 respectively.

Sorry for not doing updates, but I find it harder to muster as much enthusiasm for one-day cricket as I do for tests and the County Championship! I'm an old codger at heart...

No worried Epsom. We've all been otherwise engaged a bit today.

I think I should be banned from doing updates because of my performance on Friday! :p

Good to bounce straight back from Fridays result!
  • Worcs looking fearsome. Be glad we're in the North Group
  • Surrey struggling in the RLODC. We won the toss and batted. Pitch hasn't been as good as expected commentators think it's getting worse.... so there is hope for us.

119-4 Foakes and Borthwick going slow but rebuilding
  • As I speak 2 wickets fall in 2 balls.

Borthwick b bopara 37
    Sam c at slip (incredible catch) b bopara.

Ravi on a hattrick!
  • TC and Foakes need to last out the last 15 overs.
  • Sponsored links:

• TC going well on 27 from 19 balls.

Foakes on 56 against his former side.

From what I'm hearing anything above 200 gives us a chance. I'd be aiming at 220+ from here.

164-6
  • TC went for 33 off 27.

Batty went for it but was out for 7 off 6.

He's gone early. Boundaries are all the way out here. Commentators are saying this is odd. They aren't usually this far out even for test matches... Batty would usually have had 6 for that shot but was caught on the boundary.

Harder to score...
  • All out for 210 Foakes 77 not out.

About 20 or so under par but given the pitch and conditions I think we are in with a good shout.
  • Jade hit a 6 over the long boundary but holed out next ball.
  • I'm not saying anything.
  • Essex currently 13/3
  • Great start.
  • 115/6 , not sure how many overs left as they don't say on Twitter
  • After the Somerset game I'm saying nothing
  • edited May 2017
    129/7, 11 overs left