Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Top 5 TV Drama Series

Comments

• Options
    I Claudius.
  • Options
    Th Bill
    Law and Order SVU
    Hustle
    Waking the Dead
    The Wire
  • Options
    1) Breaking Bad - easily the best TV show you'll ever watch.
    2) Prison Break
    3) The Wire
    4) Mad Dogs
    5) Broadchurch

I haven't watched The Sopranos, Dexter or 24 yet, but I imagine some will make the top 5 once I have.
  • Options
    All been mentioned on here before but (a drum roll please) here's mind in order:

1. Breaking Bad
    2. The Wire
    3. The Sopranos
    4. Band of Brothers
    5. Homeland
  • Options
    Happy valley
    Singing detective
    Boys from the black stuff
    Newsroom
    Waking the dead
  • Options

Difficult not to include The Killing, Auf Wiedersehen, Pet (esp. the first 90's re-incarnation), Boys from the Blackstuff, Our Friends in the North, State of Play, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, House of Cards (the UK version), and Spiral

Ah Our Friends in the North! Great series. It's quite hard to find on the internet and I don't think many people here in China have heard of it. I watched it a couple of years ago and totally loved it. Definitely one of my favourites.
  • Options

1) Breaking Bad - easily the best TV show you'll ever watch.
    2) Prison Break
    3) The Wire
    4) Mad Dogs
    5) Broadchurch

I haven't watched The Sopranos, Dexter or 24 yet, but I imagine some will make the top 5 once I have.

the sopranos will top that list, and recieve the same kind of praise you think of breaking bad.
  • Options
    The Sopranos
    Breaking Bad
    The Wire
    Band of Brothers
    Underbelly
  • Options
    Game of thrones
    Breaking Bad
    Brideshead Revisited
    Hill Street Blues
    The Sweeney
  • Options
    Morse
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1 boys from the black stuff
    2 our friends in the north
    3 funland
    4 spiral
    5 gbh
  • Options
    The Trip (maybe not 'Drama' but features a pair of dramatic queens - tarts not gays)
    Utopia (can't wait for Series 2)
    Game of Thrones
    The Fades (trying to keep it fairly modern)
    The Time Tunnel (very ancient)

• Options
    Just noticed and would agree with -
    The Prisoner - one of the best shows ever in the universe!
  • Options
    Great thread.

X-Files
    Band of Brothers
    Spooks
    Rome
    Happy Valley
  • Options
    The Wire
    Game of Thrones
    Band of Brothers
    Breaking Bad
    Sharpe (loved it as a kid.)

Fargo is also really good, but as the first series hasn't even finished yet, I'll reserve final judgement.

Does Firefly count as a drama? If so, it'd be on the list.
  • Options
    Just out of interest, has anyone seen The Sopranos and not named it in their top 5?? Having seen it all the way through, I can't imagine ever seeing anything that will top it, but I'm sure there are others with a different opionion!
  • Options
    The West Wing
    Hustle
    Columbo
    Murder One
    The Prisioner
  • Options

Just out of interest, has anyone seen The Sopranos and not named it in their top 5?? Having seen it all the way through, I can't imagine ever seeing anything that will top it, but I'm sure there are others with a different opionion!

it comes down to taste at the end of the day, but in terms of writing, direction etc the sopranos tops all. It was also the "first" tv drama to do what it did. I could write essays about how amazing the show is, but i'll just leave matt weiner to say why it is amazing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRf0dEzq82k
  • Options
    Game of Thrones
    Lost
    Spooks
    Supernatural
    Prison Break

• Options

Watched it sporadically, couldn't get into it. Feel as you do about Band of Brothers. I might just give Sopranos a go if I can find a way to watch it from the start on Netflix or Sky.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Band of Brothers
    Life on Mars
    Minder
    Doctor Who
    Prospects
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    philcafc said:

Murder One

Good call.
  • Options
    Think you could do the honours beds - @bedsaddick :)
  • Options
    So I've been watching Dexter for the past few months and just finished season 4.

It now feels in series 5 like they had no idea where to go and they even admitted killing off the character at the end of season 4 was a snap decision.

I think they have killed the show with that move! Does the show pick back up again?

I don't see how it can continue without the now deceased character.
  • Options
    The Prisoner
    Spooks
    The Wire
    The Sweeney
    Hill Street Blues
  • Options
    The Sopranos
    Breaking Bad
    The Wire
    Luther
    Spooks

Just behind 24 and Life on Mars.
  • Options
    Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
    Life on Mars
    Northern Exposure
    Breaking Bad
    Edge of Darkness

Have to mention
    Tenko
    Orphan Black
    Being Human (UK)
    Homeland
    The Fall
    Too late to talk to Billy - the Billy Trilogy (really a set of plays, but seared into my memory)
  • Options
    Boardwalk Empire
    Luther
    Breaking Bad
    Prison Break
    Mad Dogs
  • Options

I haven't done a top 5 but I'm not sure it would be in mine. That's not to say I don't think it was good but I never loved it like a lot of people do. There were only a few occasions where I had that 'desperate to see the next episode' feeling.
  • Options
    Resurrecting an old thread here. I've just finished Boadwalk Empire (amazing!), and about to start something new. I've already seen the like of the Wire, Breaking Bad, Homeland, GoT, Sopranos, True Detective, Band of Brothers, Luther, Prison Break etc.

Thinking of starting one of the following, none of which I have seen any of:

Mad Men
    Entourage
    Dexter

Any recommendations as to which one I should go for next?