Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wimbledon 2014

Comments

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

Yeah but he wasnt fit enough to do as well in those tournaments as in the previous year, so he dropped a lot of ranking points.

It is hard to solely use ranking points as to who is best.
    Recall once Player A beat player B in Wimbledon final but that meant Player B actually overtook Player A to become new number 1. Even though he had just lost to him.

Last year at one point Federer was down to about 7th in the world.
    For me a fully fit Murray is still 4th in the world.

I dont think he deserves to be 10th but not 4th either

Wawrinka is above him IMO and I think Dimitrov is getting there as well
  • Options
    Pat Cash agrees with MrOneLung and said that after a serious injury, you tend to play 3 good games and 1 bad and then gradually improve. Murray is now up to 6 good games and 1 bad. He got knocked out on the 1bad. He reckons Murray will return to his previous form.
    Sorry, paulie, I'll have to side with Pat Cash.
  • Options
    How Murray does from here depends on his continued motivation, having achieved some goals, and the effiacy of the back surgery he had last year.

If the surgery has fully resolved the issue and he remains ambitious he has the all round game to get back into the top 4 or even better. Nadal's fitness (injurywise) is suspect these days and Roger, although you wouldn't have known it on Sunday, is not getting any younger.
  • Options
    its funny how his injury keeps being brought up when after the French Open he was asked about it and said he was feeling no effects from it and it had fully recovered,

Suddenly he loses to Dimitrov and all everyone can say is he has a back Injury
  • Options
    Just leave off Murray, Paulie. You're like a dog with a bone. What do you want Buster Mottram!

If Cash thinks, like me, he can get back to his best, he will. Like most of your posts on this forum you appear to know diddly squat.
  • Options

its funny how his injury keeps being brought up when after the French Open he was asked about it and said he was feeling no effects from it and it had fully recovered,

Suddenly he loses to Dimitrov and all everyone can say is he has a back Injury

It's like football and other sports. When injuries are involved there's a lot of kidology and they are over or understated accordingly.

Re his defeat by Dimitrov at Wimbledon I agree with you. He had a bad day at the office and was fairly stuffed and punished for it.
  • Options

Just leave off Murray, Paulie. You're like a dog with a bone. What do you want Buster Mottram!

If Cash thinks, like me, he can get back to his best, he will. Like most of your posts on this forum you appear to know diddly squat.

Sorry I thought you was allowed to post opinions on Forums
    just like your comment on Joe Gomez
    I am in the same Opinion as Bob Peeters not you, but do you see me having a go at you NO
    WHY BECAUSE I UNDERSTAND A FORUM IS ABOUT OPINIONS
  • Options
    Tell you what Paulie let's have a little wager.

If Murray gets to the semis or better in the US Open you pay £10 to the Upbeats. If he loses in the quarters or earlier I'll pay £10 to the Upbeats.

What do you say?
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

If Murray gets to the semis or better in the US Open you pay £10 to the Upbeats. If he loses in the quarters or earlier I'll pay £10 to the Upbeats.

What do you say?

Deal
  • Options

Everyone knows I dislike Murray, but IMO there is a reason for what happened this year, just look at there coaches

The 2 finalists:

Roger Federer- Stefan Edberg (Former World Number 1 41 Titles 6 Grand Slams)
    Novak Djokovic-Boris Becker (Former World Number 1, 49 Titles 6 Grand Slams)

Andy Murray-Amélie Mauresmo (Former World Number 1 25 Titles 2 Grand Slams)

And his old coach when he won Wimbledon
    Andy Murray-Ivan Lendl (Former World Number 1 94 Titles 9 Grand Slams)

That says it all to me yes Mauresmo was a good player, but would she go down as a all time great no
    Would Eberg, Becker and Lendl yes

And Murray is now 10th in the world

I don't think there is any correlation between grand slam titles and coaching ability in tennis or any sport. Mauresmo may prove not to be a great choice, time will tell.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Isn't it about time the ladies started playing best of 5? Never understood why they should get equal pay when they don't play 5 sets, seems to me the guys get screwed on this.

Completely agree - in fact they end up getting paid more a lot of the time as they have enough left in the tank after winning in an hour to play doubles as well.

• Options
    LenGlover said:

What do you say?

how you feeling about this now @‌LenGlover I must admit I was worried when I saw Nadal pulled out, then I noticed Murray is due to meet Djokovic in the Quarters and feel more confident that my £10 is safe
  • Options
    Que sera, sera Paulie.

Either way the Upbeats win so I'm happy with that.

As it happens (kiss of death no doubt) I have a feeling Murray might go all the way again in this one.
  • Options

LenGlover said:

What do you say?

how you feeling about this now @‌LenGlover I must admit I was worried when I saw Nadal pulled out, then I noticed Murray is due to meet Djokovic in the Quarters and feel more confident that my £10 is safe
    He desperately needs to get back up the rankings, as playing Djok in the quarters is hopeless...
  • Options
    Currently going out in 1st round to Robin Haase. His best days are behind him sadly.
  • Options
    The pressure on him to win Wimbledon was so high that now he's achieved it, there's nowhere to go.

Lack of motivation.
  • Options
    Give him a break, he's clearly injured, not sure about his choice of coach either.
  • Options

Give him a break, he's clearly injured, not sure about his choice of coach either.

although before the game he said he had never felt better and was 100% fit and he never called the physio in that match but Hasse did IMO he was lucky to get through Lucky that Stepanek lost as well, but unless he improves will go out to Tsonga in the last 16
  • Options

Everyone knows I dislike Murray, but IMO there is a reason for what happened this year, just look at there coaches

The 2 finalists:

Roger Federer- Stefan Edberg (Former World Number 1 41 Titles 6 Grand Slams)
    Novak Djokovic-Boris Becker (Former World Number 1, 49 Titles 6 Grand Slams)

Andy Murray-Amélie Mauresmo (Former World Number 1 25 Titles 2 Grand Slams)

And his old coach when he won Wimbledon
    Andy Murray-Ivan Lendl (Former World Number 1 94 Titles 9 Grand Slams)

That says it all to me yes Mauresmo was a good player, but would she go down as a all time great no
    Would Eberg, Becker and Lendl yes

And Murray is now 10th in the world

I stick to this after his display today Mauresmo is the wrong coach and he will just go backwards with her
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Really hoping he can find a bit of form - I have tickets for Arthur Ashe on the second Tuesday and Wednesday of the US Open. Not sure how the order of play works out just yet, but it'd be fantastic if I could see Murray vs Djokovic!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stepanek blew my accumulator out the water at the first hurdle

:-(
  • Options

Currently going out in 1st round to Robin Haase. His best days are behind him sadly.

6-3, 7-6, 1-6, 7-5

Think you called that a bit early.
  • Options
    You had to watch it at the time. Could hardly run and seemingly giving up. Fortunately Haase was shockingly poor. Good news but not the Murray of old unfortunately:(
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Paulie,

If my form in the football prediction league is anything to go by your money is probably safe!
  • Options
    Murray into the quarter final... starting to sweat yet Paulie?
  • Options

Murray into the quarter final... starting to sweat yet Paulie?

Nope since I saw the draw I thought he was getting this far, but its Novak next for him
  • Options
    Showtime later Paulie!

:-)
  • Options
    What time is kick-off, Len?
  • Options
    about 2am BST.
  • Options
    Come on Novak