Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wimbledon 2014

Comments

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

about 2am BST.

Depends how quick Serena Williams wins
    they are 2nd on court after her in the evening session which starts at 12:00 AM our time
  • Options
    Paulie is pooing himself.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

about 2am BST.

That's not much good, is it?!

• Options

Paulie is pooing himself.

No chance Novak has not dropped a set yet
    and in their last 6 meetings Novak has won 5 (Only losing Wimbledon)

Besides whatever happens the upbeats win
  • Options

MrOneLung said:

about 2am BST.

That's not much good, is it?!

Rubbish. :-(

Today's schedule:

Mixed Doubles - Semifinals
    Abigail Spears (USA) & Santiago Gonzalez (MEX)
    vs.
    Taylor Townsend (USA) & Donald Young (USA)

Not Before: 5:30pm
    Women's Singles - Quarterfinals
    Victoria Azarenka (BLR) [16] vs. Ekaterina Makarova (RUS) [17]

Not Before: 8:00pm
    Men's Singles - Quarterfinals
    Stan Wawrinka (SUI) [3] vs. Kei Nishikori (JPN) [10]

Not Before: 12:00am
    Women's Singles - Quarterfinals
    Serena Williams (USA) [1] vs. Flavia Pennetta (ITA) [11]
    Men's Singles - Quarterfinals
    Novak Djokovic (SRB) [1] vs. Andy Murray (GBR) [8]
  • Options
    Just to say that should I lose it will probably be Friday that I pay up as my internet access tomorrow will be limited or even non- existent.

• Options
    Hope Murray wins shut a few people up
  • Options
    Not gonna start till about 3 at this rate, still got the 20:10 match on probably got another 30-45 mins to go
    then the gotta get everything sorted for the evening matches, then you got the Williams V Pennetta match
  • Options
    Shameless piece of showing off on my part but here's my view right now, Come on Andy! (Sorry Paulie)

• Options
    PS Wawrinka vs Nishikori was a cracker, developed a but of a soft spot for the little Japanese fella now, if only cos him winning pissed off the bird from New Jersey behind us who kept shouting "Come on Staaaayyyyyynnnn" in an incredibly annoying voice.

COME ON ANDY!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wow that's cracking! I'm very jealous. Come on Andy!
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Murray breaks in the first game. :-)

& Djokovic breaks back straight away... I should keep my mouth shut.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Murray doing well to be in this at all = definitely not playing his best and giving 10/10 effort - would worry about him sustaining it..
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Murray doing well to be in this at all = definitely not playing his best and giving 10/10 effort - would worry about him sustaining it..

I take that back! Tie break! I wish I knew what the Arabic commentary was saying!
  • Options
    Well that was a bloody disaster.
  • Options
    ...and Andy takes the second set from being a break down, almost a mirror image of the first set. I take back everything I have said up to this point....
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Well it might not be impressing you on the TV @Wheresmeticket?‌ but it's good live. These pair are so evenly matched. Novak has the slight edge you feel but Murray is going to make sure he has to work damn hard to beat him. I'm having a fantastic time but it's midnight now so could well be a late on. Serena Williams was done in just over a hours, 2:15 to get to this stage on this match so probably at least another 2hours to go!
  • Options
    He always works hard, but Djok has 40 unforced errors to Andys 60, and that seems to be the difference. Wish I was there, but I got two days at Wimbledon this year so I can't complain....
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Well it might not be impressing you on the TV @Wheresmeticket?‌ but it's good live. These pair are so evenly matched. Novak has the slight edge you feel but Murray is going to make sure he has to work damn hard to beat him. I'm having a fantastic time but it's midnight now so could well be a late on. Serena Williams was done in just over a hours, 2:15 to get to this stage on this match so probably at least another 2hours to go!

I'm always impressed by professional tennis players - never seen a bad one yet! Think football players could take a lot from their attitude.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Great match. Shame for Andy but Djok is a great man to lose to.

Cue the haters/gloaters. I'm off to bed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Unlucky Andy. Good to see him back playing well.
  • Options
    EA, ( you lucky git! :-0 ) just out of interest was it easy getting a ticket? Never been to US open before, how does it. Compare to Wimbledon ( apart from the surface and weather?).
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Yep great effort, just ran out of steam and seemed to be struggling a bit with his back towards the end. Was a great match though, just spoilt a little bit at the end by some of Novak's fans repeatedly and deliberately shouting out during Andy's ball toss. It did seem to put him off on a couple of occasions, but Novak had worn him down by then - such an impressive competitor and a graceful winner too.

Beaten by the better man again unfortunately, but the great thing about watching Murray against these top guys is, although you maybe don't truly expect him to win, you hope he might win because you know he can. It's so different to watching the likes of Henman and Rusedski who never looked totally comfortable at the top table even if we still hoped they might cause a shock. I don't know if he'll ever win another Major (my head says no) but he's a British sportsman to be proud of IMHO.

As for how it compares to Wimbledon, I don't know as I've never been. We entered the ticket lottery a couple of times but never won. We joined the USTA for about $40 to get ticket priority as it looked like they might sell out before they got on general sale and we had delayed our trip to New York specifically so we could go to Flushing Meadows so we wanted to be sure we'd get tickets. As it turned out I'm not sure that was totally necessary as we originally only had tickets for Tuesday evening and Wednesday day sessions. However, when we found out, on Tuesday afternoon, that Murray was playing Wednesday evening we were actually able to purchase additional tickets for tonight and not at an inflated price. Not sure if that's the norm or we got lucky but there were empty seats at every session we attended so overall I think tickets are much easier to get (and more democratically allocated) than Wimbledon. The tickets we had ranged from $88 to $110 each to sit up in the gods, but the view was good, especially at night, and from the back of the stand on our side you could see the Manhattan skyline and the sunset behind it. The atmosphere was a lot more raucous than I imagine Wimbledon is (it is America after all) but we had a great time and were lucky enough to see a cracking 5 seter as well as the World no. 1 and our two favourite players Murray and Feds.

If you are fortunate enough to be able/have the opportunity to go I would highly recommend it as we had an absolutely fantastic time and you get to visit New York too which is an absolutely bonkers but fantastic city.
  • Options
    Legs have gone ;-)
  • Options
    https://www.justgiving.com/TheCharltonUpbeats

Well played Paulie! Got back a bit earlier than anticipated so done today after all.
  • Options
    Thanks Ea, sounds a blast by the sounds of it, would love to do it some day, thankyou for posting.
  • Options
    Nishikori beats Djokovic 3-1 to become the first Asian male to make it to a major final .... He was mustard

Federer v Cilic next up
  • Options
    Go Japan!
    Fan bloody tastic performance!

Just what eurocentric tennis needs.
    Brilliant!
  • Options
    That was cracking. He impressed me against Wawrinka so I think the signs were there he might do this, but after coming through two 5 set matches I expected him to run out of steam especially as it gas been so hot (I had a proper bead on just sitting in the stands on Wednesday let alone chasing around after tennis balls being fired at you by Djokovic) but it was Djok who faded having looked so much stronger than Murray just a couple of days ago.

Novak is not looking so invincible these days, Feds is getting on, Murray and Nadal are both starting to struggle a little bit with injuries - it feels a little bit like these might be the last days of Rome and we might have some new names being engraved on the Grand Slam trophies over the next couple of years.
  • Options
    That's my Williams, Djokovic, Federer treble down the swanee!

Well done Nishikori though. He's been knocking on the door for a few tournaments now.