Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Magnitude of that result tonight

Putting into context the stage, the semi final of the greatest sporting competition in the world, that must surely be the most stand out result of all time ?

Anything else come close ?

Comments

• Options
    the tourni needed one more remarkable game

tonight, we got it
  • Options
    massive humiliation for the home nation population, who had a number of reasons to be unhappy beforehand, worse even than being an England fan :)
  • Options
    i reckon the germans should be thanking us for spanking them 5~0 and kick starting their revolution
  • Options
    That result, in those circumstances, will go down as a "I remember where I was when" moment in years to come!!!
  • Options
    *Writes this without trying to sound too smug*

Said from the beginning of the tournament that Germany would be the team to beat and backed them to win it. Also said Brazil were nothing special and would be found out as soon as they came up against a decent side (which was nearly the case V's Costa Rica)

Fully expected a Germany victory tonight, but bloody hell, I didn't see that scoreline coming. That game will shock the south american giants for years to come.......................
  • Options
    Germany were clinical from the start so not a big surprise that they do well, but tonight is a big shock for anyone's money
  • Options
    Brazil had better hope that Germany go on to win the competition or it'll be even more embarrassing for them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Southend away
  • Options
    Been racking my brains but cannot think of a remotely comparable result in modern World Cup history, simply extraordinary.

The only result that came remotely close to it in terms of drama was Argentina beating Italy in Italia '90 when everyone thought the Italians would win on home soil.
  • Options
    Pele will definitely have trouble getting it up tonight...
  • Options
    Do you think now that finally a significant number of English fans might take an interest in why German football is better than ours at every frigging level, on the pitch and on the, er, terraces?
  • Options
    Nothing compares. This has to be the biggest humiliation ever in football considering the circumstances .
  • Options

Do you think now that finally a significant number of English fans might take an interest in why German football is better than ours at every frigging level, on the pitch and on the, er, terraces?

No, the Premier League circus starts again in about a month and everybody will be wetting themselves about their latest 50 million quid signings....
  • Options
    £50 million for the Harpo Marx look alike ???????? im 50+ with gout but i think im worth £10 million if he is worth 50. One of the worst performances by a player ever and he was captain.

Fred--Hulk ?????? and we take the piss out of Churchy.

• Options

You would be a little more snug if Brazil actually played Costa Rica ;)

Just testing to make sure you're paying attention...................

;-)

• Options

Worst Semi that Pele has ever seen - and that's saying something......
    Ahh you beat me...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Extraordinary that the great majority of games have been so tight, and yet the three total demolitions have been suffered by Spain, Portugal and the host nation.
  • Options

Putting into context the stage, the semi final of the greatest sporting competition in the world, that must surely be the most stand out result of all time ?

Anything else come close ?

Wembley 1953 Hungary 6 - England 3
  • Options

Extraordinary that the great majority of games have been so tight, and yet the three total demolitions have been suffered by Spain, Portugal and the host nation.

And those that dished it out are still in the tournament!
  • Options
    Maybe Bayern beating Barcelona 7 0 over two legs in 2013.
  • Options
    The 5-0 Ashes defeats in 2006/7 and 2013/14 for being so unpredicted...
  • Options

Maybe Bayern beating Barcelona 7 0 over two legs in 2013.

Good call, had forgotten about that.
  • Options
    Was talking to my mate in the pub about this when the game finished. There simply cannot be another more shocking, extraordinary result in the history of Football.

- Against the greatest World Cup nation of all time
    - On their home turf (which comes around once every 60-70 years)
    - In a World Cup Semi Final
    - SEVEN F'KIN ONE

What could be bigger than that?

Truly the absolute mother of all World Cup scorelines.
  • Options
    see a tweet that Germany scored more goals in 6 minutes (against the Favourites) than England managed in the whole world cup
  • Options
    Actually it's their worst ever defeat beating their previous worst score of 0-6 against Uruguay back in 1920, 94 years ago! http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1920_South_American_Championship
  • Options
    Agree. But on a personal level cafc 1 - 0 portsmouth, 5th December 1992 stands out. Was 12 years old, and when Walsh's goal went in my dads face was a picture. Great atmosphere.