Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Magnitude of that result tonight

Comments

• Options
    Magnitude is a well chosen word. I can't think of anything that comes close to the enormity of this thrashing given the sheer global scale of the game tonight.

Is it the biggest shock result of all time relative to the quality of the teams? Brazil were unconvincing for me throughout most of the tournament - I was against them from the moment Fred conned the compliant ref for that penalty & scarcely desrved win over Croatia. Spains (ranked No2 by FIFA) trashing by Holland (No. 15) was for me as much of a shock as this one in terms of the pure result.

Anyway Germany were simply awesome tonight, as inept and shambolic as the over hyped Brazilians were, it was a breathtaking performance.

I would like to see the Argies despatch the Dutch tomorrow and pray that the 2014 final is better than the utterly dismal one in 1990....
  • Options
    edited July 2014

So the question for England ought to be why is Germany so good, but typically we are concentrating on why Brazil went into melt down. But maybe this time it's understandable. I've never seen anything like that before.
  • Options

see a tweet that Germany scored more goals in 6 minutes (against the Favourites) than England managed in the whole world cup

Oh come on, we didn't get the chance to take Brazil though, so it's not a fair comparison :-)
  • Options
    I honestly think Brazil would have struggled to make the World Cup had they not been hosts.
    Germany scored more goals tonight than they managed in 2 qualifying matches against the Faroe Islands.
  • Options
    I know they were poor last night. But I think a lot are going overboard. It was simply one of those nights.

Look at Brazil's results over the last 12 months and they are no where near as bas as some are making out.
  • Options
    My hope is that the result last night goes some way to diminishing the awe in which any brazilian national team since 1970 is held.

I think there's something to be said for the theory that, to date, some other teams are overawed by them just because they are brazil. If this result reduces that effect, all the better.
  • Options

I know they were poor last night. But I think a lot are going overboard. It was simply one of those nights.

Look at Brazil's results over the last 12 months and they are no where near as bas as some are making out.

LOL simply one of those nights, when was the last one of those nights?
    Personally thought they were an average team before last night apart from obviously Neymar but take nothing away from my team Germany a proper team, no so called superstars with the likes of Messi, Ronaldo or Neymar just have a excellent shape - excellent tactics and all round excellent players.
  • Options

see a tweet that Germany scored more goals in 6 minutes (against the Favourites) than England managed in the whole world cup

They managed only one less than Spain did in the whole of the last World Cup - and they won it!

• Options
    I think this destroys whatever was left of the Brazilian myth. They used to b e popular throughout the world, but I think most people have found them intesely irritating this world cup. All that crap with forca Neymar last night with his shirt being carried out like it was a piece of the one true cross.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2014

Anything else come close ?

I think no other result does. There's been shocks with so called minnows beating top Countries e.g. the famous 1-0 defeat by England to the USA, but this result bearing in mind the circumstances and the stage of competition is one that simply has still to sink in. It wasn't a vintage Brazilian side by any means but even so 7-1 at home in a World Cup Semi Final, surely we have seen an event never to be repeated.
  • Options

I can't agree.

The warning signs have been there the whole tournament. When you think of Brazil you don't think of teams relying on just one player and set-pieces.

The only decent performance they put in was against Cameroon, who were in turmoil. They got a result against Croatia, with a massive bit of help from the officials. They were outplayed by Mexico and Chile. All other games over the last 12 months have been meaningless friendlies.
  • Options

So the question for England ought to be why is Germany so good, but typically we are concentrating on why Brazil went into melt down. But maybe this time it's understandable. I've never seen anything like that before.

They have quality strikers and players comfortable on the ball - one of the reasons we all over-react to Sterling (me included) is because he doesn't look like a lost pensioner when he has possession of the ball.

I couldn't believe what I was watching - Brazil were the definition of weak. We could be seeing a shift in international football - England's golden generation is gone, Brazil has fallen, Spain are at their low. Football has always been a generational thing, so it'll be interesting to see who turns up for 2018.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Maybe W Germany 3 Hungary 2 in the 54 final.

The result was a huge upset esp as Germany were 2 down at half time and Hungary were unbeaten for two years (Puskas et al).

Not the score line though.
  • Options

I can't agree.

The warning signs have been there the whole tournament. When you think of Brazil you don't think of teams relying on just one player and set-pieces.

The only decent performance they put in was against Cameroon, who were in turmoil. They got a result against Croatia, with a massive bit of help from the officials. They were outplayed by Mexico and Chile. All other games over the last 12 months have been meaningless friendlies.
    I just can't see how it can be played down!

It wasn't 1 or 2, it was 7 (seven), and could have been 12. It was a WC semi final.

In the last 12 months, Brazil have smashed Australia for 6, Honduras for 5 (we couldn't manage 1), South Africa for 5, beaten Chile twice, Portugal, Serbia, Croatia They have not played well and a not a vintage Brazil team, but they still had a team packed with Champions League experience, and that was a result that Wales or Northern Ireland would have been embarrased by.

The last time Germany played San Marino they only put 6 past them !

• Options
    thing is with Brazil is that they've always defended like that (remember Cafu and Carlos - the two most attacking full backs ever), it's just that in the past they've had more attacking flair and better players that worried other teams more, hence they got away with it and other teams were generally scared of them and in awe of them
  • Options

Putting into context the stage, the semi final of the greatest sporting competition in the world, that must surely be the most stand out result of all time ?

Anything else come close ?

I'm sure Welling away on Saturday will be up there.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    The only result I can think of that even comes close to last night's is the England 3 : Hungary 6 game in 1953 which entirely destroyed the myth of England being superior to anything those damn foreigners could come up with. My dad went to that game and came home in a state of shock, having seen England taken apart and the likes of Matthews, Mortenson and Wright being made to look ordinary. But at least England kept plugging away and didn't just crumble and crumple like Brazil did last night, a team without leadership, tactical awareness or character. It was sad to see.

• Options
    The Spanish must be quite pleased that their 5-1 defeat as holders isn't the worst result of the tournament.
  • Options

I can't agree.

I just can't see how it can be played down!

It wasn't 1 or 2, it was 7 (seven), and could have been 12. It was a WC semi final.

In the last 12 months, Brazil have smashed Australia for 6, Honduras for 5 (we couldn't manage 1), South Africa for 5, beaten Chile twice, Portugal, Serbia, Croatia They have not played well and a not a vintage Brazil team, but they still had a team packed with Champions League experience, and that was a result that Wales or Northern Ireland would have been embarrased by.

The last time Germany played San Marino they only put 6 past them !

You're confusing me mate, you said people are going overboard, now your saying it can't be played down?!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    .image
  • Options
    i think the result is being played down by some, and that some people are going overboard in saying how bad Brazil are at this point in time.

They were poor last night and haven't quite gelled during this WC / struggled with the pressure, but ultimately they are still a top 12 football nation at a minimum. People are talking as if they're ranking should be done in the 50s or 60s.

7-1 is a result you get when a top ten team plays a team ranked in the 120 - 180 ranking
  • Options

The thing that always impresses me with German teams ........ is their team ethic, discipline, focus and mental strength.

Combine that with a thoroughly thought out gameplan, superb fitness and physical strength, and good technique.

They are not so much a team as a winning machine.

• Options
    German chant for the final: "It's just like watching Brazil".
  • Options

Actually it's their worst ever defeat beating their previous worst score of 0-6 against Uruguay back in 1920, 94 years ago! http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1920_South_American_Championship

I don't want to be pedantic but, technically, losing 7-1 is better than losing 6-0 as the goal difference is the same but you have increased your goals scored by one.

However, I agree with AFKA there is no other result in football that compares with the magnitude of this one. Freak results do happen but due to the fact that we only have two World Cup semi-finals every four years it is rare for such a freakish result to happen in one. Over the course of a Premier League season there is normally one or two exceptional results, Liverpool beating Arsenal 5-1 this season is a good example, and Man City beat Spurs 6-0 and Arsenal 6-3, however there are 380 Premier League matches each season to you would expect a few 'black swans' to pop up.

I am confident, however, that we will not see another team score seven goals in a World Cup semi-final in our lifetimes - and certainly not a multiple winner at home.
  • Options
    I wonder if Germany will sail through the final against tonight's winners or whether they will find it hard going if things don't go their way at first.
  • Options

I wonder if Germany will sail through the final against tonight's winners or whether they will find it hard going if things don't go their way at first.

Good question....Im sure either manager of Argentina and Netherlands will be watching how Germany dismantled brazil and will be fully prepared for them.
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

A truly incredible match and while th eGermnas played very well, especilaly in their purple patch, Brazil were so. so, poor.
    Saga Lout said:

On the bright side it does legitimately vastly increase the number of opportunities for us Charlton fans to chant that!
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Good question....Im sure either manager of Argentina and Netherlands will be watching how Germany dismantled brazil and will be fully prepared for them.
    Well, there is a difference between preparing for them and BEING prepared for them... Neither team will conceivably defend as poorly as Brazil did, but Germany elevated team work to another level, the passing, coordination, cooperation was outstanding. Players were giving up decent chances to score to give team mates a BETTER chance to score - no glory hunting. Stop Messi, and you stop Argentina (and even Iran managed that for a long while.) Keep Robben quiet and Netherlands lose a lot of impact - with Germany, you stop Muller, you still have Ozil to think about. Mark Klose out and Muller will still be dangerous. Germany have to be the favourites to win now regardless of opposition.
  • Options

Maybe W Germany 3 Hungry 2 in the 54 final.

The result was a huge upset esp as Germany were 2 down at half time and Hungry were unbeaten for two years (Puskas et al).

Not the score line though.

Probably this one. West Germany were amateurs at the time and had already lost 8-3 to Hungary in a group match.