Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Messi - Player of the tournament!!!! Really!!!

Comments

• Options
    Rigged
  • Options
    Mascherano played a lot better than Messi this tournament on that team, as did a few others and many many more from other teams. Absolutely ridiculous
  • Options
    Should have been James Rodriguez in my view. Messi was Ok but nothing special. I wouldn't have had Neuer as the best keeper either, he takes too many chances for my liking. Navas of Costa Rica for me.
  • Options
    That feels like some kind of curious political decision. Rodriguez was surely the leading candidate - especially as Robben was up to his old tricks again on Saturday evening against Brazil.
  • Options
    philcafc said:

Should have been James Rodriguez in my view. Messi was Ok but nothing special. I wouldn't have had Neuer as the best keeper either, he takes too many chances for my liking. Navas of Costa Rica for me.

I quite liked Neuer because of that element of risk, as a neutral it was quite entertaining and he did have some good skill..

I must say though, if I was supporting a team with him in it I think there would be far too many "heart in mouth" moments. I'd probably prefer a safer bet that does one job and does it well.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    He looked ashamed to be collecting the trophy. Even with his ego he knows he wasn't even in the best 20 players at the tournament. You could argue he had some influence on the Argies results as he did score a couple of winning goals and had a hand in Di Maria's late winner and has also made a bit of space for others because teams gave been preoccupied marking Messi, but teams have been able to mark him out of games. They never really managed with Robben or James for example.

It's all about corporate image for both FIFA and Adidas as others have said.
  • Options
    I don't understand why so many of you are saying it should've been given to Rodriguez? It's not as if he got nothing. He's got the Golden Boot! I don't think anyone has ever won both the Golden Boot and the Golden Ball at the same tournament. There's no point in giving the two awards to the same player.
  • Options
    Adam Lallana must feel robbed.
  • Options

I don't understand why so many of you are saying it should've been given to Rodriguez? It's not as if he got nothing. He's got the Golden Boot! I don't think anyone has ever won both the Golden Boot and the Golden Ball at the same tournament. There's no point in giving the two awards to the same player.

You could name 10 players more deserving than Messi.

Pure politics by the sponsors and Messi knew it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

There is if they deserve it. You shouldn't not give an award to someone just because they got another one. If they deserve to win it they should get it regardless. (I'm not saying he deserved it btw)

• Options
    James Rodrigez for me
  • Options
    Suarez should've got it.
  • Options

Think its based on MOTM awards and as he won all 3 of the group stage MOTM awards its not really surprising

other teams had more than one player who performed well so MOTM awards were spread amongst the teams and I dont any other play got more than 3

So it's not really the award for being best player at the tournament, it's the award for the player that's better than his own team mates.
  • Options
    A joke. And, he was like a spoiled brat at the end. What an ego. My opinion of him went way down after that. All that fame goes straight to their heads doesn't it.
  • Options
    Argentina wouldn't have made it out the group without messi. He got man of the match in 4 games out of 7 he played in. Not really that outrageous a choice. Him Rodriguez, Muller, neuer would have all been worthy winners.
  • Options

Why not if he deserved them? What if some player scored twelve goals in the tournament including a hat trick in the final would he not deserve both?

Messi, what a joke.
  • Options
    jac52 said:

Argentina wouldn't have made it out the group without messi. He got man of the match in 4 games out of 7 he played in. Not really that outrageous a choice. Him Rodriguez, Muller, neuer would have all been worthy winners.

Playing well against Iran and Bosnia doesn't mean he's the best player in the tournament. Argentina succeeded due to their quality defending.

Robben is much worthier than Messi.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Mueller or Rodriguez for me, closely followed by Robben! Neuer was definitely best keeper though.
  • Options
    Did anyone else think his body language during game was terrible?
  • Options

It has been for the last three games but the sponsors don't care about the facts.
  • Options
    He's the best player in the world in my opinion... BUT

Should have gone to James Rodriguez for me, he did well at Porto (havent really heard much about him at Monaco) but World Cup's are made for players exploding on to the scene and Rodriguez seriously has done
  • Options
    Not keen on Robben as a person but he definitely deserved the award over Messi for performance.

• Options

Yes. According to the BBC he was vomiting on the pitch.
  • Options
    jac52 said:

And he only got man of the match in few of those matches because of his reputation.
  • Options

He's the best player in the world in my opinion... BUT

Should have gone to James Rodriguez for me, he did well at Porto (havent really heard much about him at Monaco) but World Cup's are made for players exploding on to the scene and Rodriguez seriously has done

6 goals in 4 & a half 90 minute games. Including goal of the torny imo, incredible.
  • Options
    Kedera
  • Options
    Rob said:

A joke. And, he was like a spoiled brat at the end. What an ego. My opinion of him went way down after that. All that fame goes straight to their heads doesn't it.

Absolute tripe. In what way was he acting like a spoilt brat?

If the fame had gone to his head then he would have been lauding up that award, which couldn't be further from what actually happened.