Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Switzerland v England 8th September.

Comments

• Options
    Cant remember which Qualifying period it was but me and a mate signed up to the EnglandFans Group (He's still a member) and did a good number of games home and away (Andorra in Barcelona.. Germany in Berlin (was a November Friendly)...

Do remember one occasion during that period though where we played Kazakhstan at Wembley, we beat them 5-1 (I think) yet Ashley Cole was guilty for conceding and some bloke along from me shouted out "Cole your shit".. I turned round and asked why only to get a response of "cos he is shit" (Evidently an Arsenal fan), had a bit of an argument with him saying that he should be getting behind the whole England team only for some bloke (Elderly) the row in front to decide he wanted to join in and promptly told me to shut up criticising the England players when I'd done the opposite.

Me and my mate always laugh about it because the bloke in front decided to leave 10mins early and as he got up I leant forward to try and clean up the matter only to get "Talk to the Hand"
  • Options

Heading out to Basel for the first match of euro 2016 quallifing group.
    First time I would of followed England abroad.
    Anyone else going out there for it?

Why? No offence but I England are so frustrating and dull to watch. I'd resent every penny.
    Do you not ask the same question to yourself most Saturdays?
    I think I just care a hell of a lot more about Charlton than I ever will for England. No matter how bad we are at times, there's no doubting that players care. I'm not sure I can see the same about England sometimes.
  • Options
    No only few days after summer holiday gutted. Booked flights and hotel for Scotland

There's a few cafc going ,not on here tho so u might bump into em . Enjoy it mate away games with England superb don't listen to the grinches
  • Options
    was there in 1981--based in Zurich for the game in Basel. Loved the country--people very friendly,beautiful place.The loons kicked it off big time at the game and then the Swiss treated us all like lepers--couldnt blame them really.

Following England abroad isnt for the 90 mins of usually sub standard football by tossers who clearly dont give a rats arse----its about the journey and the places /people you meet--much like life.
  • Options
    England away is brilliant. Everyone i have done an england away with has beem hooked and done more, some even on their own.
  • Options
    I really have no time at all for the English Hockey team and I certainly wouldn't pay money and invest time to watch them.

I understand there are plenty of people who do though and that's OK by me.
  • Options

Why? No offence but I England are so frustrating and dull to watch. I'd resent every penny.
    I think I just care a hell of a lot more about Charlton than I ever will for England. No matter how bad we are at times, there's no doubting that players care. I'm not sure I can see the same about England sometimes.
    You were not a fan in 2006/7 then?

• Options
    edited July 2014

As I was writing that post, that season did cross my mind. One season out of 25+ isn't too bad I suppose. Compared to England at least.
  • Options
    Haven't been England away for years, but going upto Glasgow for the Scotland game.

Should be fun.
  • Options

you really are a sucker for punishment. god, didn't the world cup and previous embarrassing performances in major tournaments tell you anything?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

you really are a sucker for punishment. god, didn't the world cup and previous embarrassing performances in major tournaments tell you anything?
    Take it you wont be visiting The Valley anytime soon if that's your criteria for supporting a team then?
  • Options
    I'll be there.

saw Darren Bent Bent Bent get a goal last time out so can't really top that.

Game will be competitive but it's one of a few games left where a bit of commitment and passion by England will make the difference.
  • Options

God, if you cant support your own country, then what sort of a problem do you have?
  • Options

2006-2011
  • Options

You have seen Charlton play football right?
  • Options
    Charlton never will be comfortable viewing... If you dont want to see a team that are frustrating and dull to watch at times then you've picked the wrong team to follow
  • Options

Take it you wont be visiting The Valley anytime soon if that's your criteria for supporting a team then?
    club football is very different to international, i feel connected to charlton but i don't england.
  • Options

God, if you cant support your own country, then what sort of a problem do you have?
    i don't have a problem, i could ask the same of you wasting good money after bad, it's bad enough with charlton let alone england as well.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

club football is very different to international, i feel connected to charlton but i don't england.
    Odd that, players of all nationalities come and go for the dollar at clubs, but are there for richer or poorer at international level. So don't get that, but each to their own...
  • Options

Odd that, players of all nationalities come and go for the dollar at clubs, but are there for richer or poorer at international level. So don't get that, but each to their own...
    because england players are overpaid and forever letting the country down.

yes players come and go but it's always charlton and it's the club I support. as I've already said,I simply don't feel that affinity with england and whoever represents the country.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

because england players are overpaid and forever letting the country down.

yes players come and go but it's always charlton and it's the club I support. as I've already said,I simply don't feel that affinity with england and whoever represents the country.
    Funny enough 207 other countries players let them down earlier this month too and a lot of them earn lots of money, as do a lot of Charlton players (compared with mere mortals).

England are always England, and it's the nation you were born in.

Like I said, each to their own.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Yep you've definitely got sun stroke living out there Algarve... Get yourself back to Blighty and with the program of despair, doom and gloom and nay saying.

Never been surprised by the Addicks. We had our day in the sun obviously but we seem to get what we expect. With England it's the hope that kills you. The hope that we can push on, change things around and have the remotest sniff of a major trophy. Don't think Sillav is any less an Englishman, just exasperated.
  • Options

Yep you've definitely got sun stroke living out there Algarve... Get yourself back to Blighty and with the program of despair, doom and gloom and nay saying.

Never been surprised by the Addicks. We had our day in the sun obviously but we seem to get what we expect. With England it's the hope that kills you. The hope that we can push on, change things around and have the remotest sniff of a major trophy. Don't think Sillav is any less an Englishman, just exasperated.

Don't get me wrong, so am I mate, but I don't turn my back on England, the same way I don't turn my back on Charlton. And I don't accuse other people of being a sucker for punishment just because they choose to stay loyal to their country's football team. He started it sir... ;-)
  • Options
    probably wont be able to make this one due to funds, Switzerland being genuinely expensive as mentioned. going to the Norway home game and also looking to go to Estonia with some mates. The fact that Estonia game is on a Sunday is perfect, fly out on the friday, two nights in tallinn which is meant to be a lovely city then the game! Will be my first England away as I (fortunately in hindsight) wasn't able to make it to Brazil.
  • Options

I'm traveling sunday night on the 18.35 flight from gatwick.
  • Options

probably wont be able to make this one due to funds, Switzerland being genuinely expensive as mentioned. going to the Norway home game and also looking to go to Estonia with some mates. The fact that Estonia game is on a Sunday is perfect, fly out on the friday, two nights in tallinn which is meant to be a lovely city then the game! Will be my first England away as I (fortunately in hindsight) wasn't able to make it to Brazil.

If you think Switzerland is expensive wait until you get to Norway, holy shit its bloody expensive there!
  • Options
    You have to respect those that travel to our international away games. I hope we get the result and performance you deserve for making the effort. It is sad that we don't have a team with the passion or the skill to match such support. Looking at our group we'll probably qualify. The Euros has been widened to include nations like Gibraltar this time round, so I question the quality in the qualifying rounds.

The Switzerland games are likely to be our toughest games. They looked okay at the WC, better than us anyway. I think we need to win the group to avoid the dreaded play off. After that, if we do get there, then I can't see anything in that current team that says we will get out our group stage.

Best of luck to all those travelling. I find it hard even to watch qualifiers these days, such is how shit it is.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I think we need to win the group to avoid the dreaded play off.

Just so you know the top two teams of every 6 team group automatically qualify and third go into the play off due to the tournment extention.

England would have to sink to low depths not to qualify.
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:

Perhaps this thread should be left to those who do support their country and are thinking of going as opposed to those that want to share with us why they don't.

Or perhaps its me & on the numerous top 5 threads that I see and rarely open I should start saying "I dont have any" on all them..

Perhaps England have left such a bad taste in people's mouths over the last few years that they are still venting their frustration.....

I take on board your point, and as I said 'respect to those that go', I hope they get the result. However, every time I see an England related thread, anger sets in:(