Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Switzerland v England 8th September.

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2014

probably wont be able to make this one due to funds, Switzerland being genuinely expensive as mentioned. going to the Norway home game and also looking to go to Estonia with some mates. The fact that Estonia game is on a Sunday is perfect, fly out on the friday, two nights in tallinn which is meant to be a lovely city then the game! Will be my first England away as I (fortunately in hindsight) wasn't able

If you think Switzerland is expensive wait until you get to Norway, holy shit its bloody expensive there!

Indeed. Thankfully the Norway friendly is at Wembley. Having said that the beer prices there wouldn't look out of place in Scandinavia!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    From around March I was absolutely buzzing for the World Cup and fully embraced England more than ever before (even though I always have), but there was just something that got me about this World Cup, fully buying into the England hype. Despite our poor performances because of how excited I was i still enjoyed all the games until the final whistle went when we lost. The memories of celebrating with my mates Sturridge, Rooneys and even Sterlings 'goal' will live with me forever.

Best thing with England for me is being able to enjoy it with mates who you couldn't quite fully celebrate with before (ie I'd drag them to charlton games but their hearts were never really in it).

It seems that the excitement and national pride I was exercising before the World Cup and during, hasn't faded despite our failure and I'm already itching for Euro qualifiers to start and I think it's going to remain that way.

Out of interest does anybody know how you become legible to purchase Euro2016 tickets?

These new and young English players coming through need all the support they can get
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Heading out to Basel for the first match of euro 2016 quallifing group.
    First time I would of followed England abroad.
    Anyone else going out there for it?

you really are a sucker for punishment. god, didn't the world cup and previous embarrassing performances in major tournaments tell you anything?
    Take it you wont be visiting The Valley anytime soon if that's your criteria for supporting a team then?
    club football is very different to international, i feel connected to charlton but i don't england.
    Odd that, players of all nationalities come and go for the dollar at clubs, but are there for richer or poorer at international level. So don't get that, but each to their own...
    because england players are overpaid and forever letting the country down.

yes players come and go but it's always charlton and it's the club I support. as I've already said,I simply don't feel that affinity with england and whoever represents the country.
    Funny enough 207 other countries players let them down earlier this month too and a lot of them earn lots of money, as do a lot of Charlton players (compared with mere mortals).

England are always England, and it's the nation you were born in.

Like I said, each to their own.
    well other countries and players don't concern me or I would think other england fans.

you're right I was born here, that doesn't mean I have to support a nation whose players for the most part play as though they don't give a toss and until that changes, I reserve the right to be indifferent in my support! for them. have pride in wearing the shirt not the pay packet!

we say the same thing about charlton and yes we have players who may be over paid but not to the degree of the top stars.

when I see the england players lining up for the national anthem some singing some not or when they kiss the badge if and when they score just seems like a load of old bollox to me.

all we ask as fans is that the players play for the shirt and not the pay packet.

I'm more emotionally involved with charlton and always will be. I don't feel that way about england I'm afraid and until they start putting in a shift for the fans who spend a lot of money to follow the national team and are forever being short changed, I reserve the right to be indifferent in my support of them and not follow like some lost sheep.
  • Options
    They don't get paid for playing for England (well they do, but it goes to charlty, not in their pockets). So that really puts that side of your argument to bed I guess, as they do play for the shirt?

They kiss the badge and it's bollocks? So they can't win can they, if they show passion for the only national badge they will ever wear you just dismiss it as "bollox". But some bod from the Wirral who kisses the Charlton badge he wears for two years between kissing the badge at Wigan and kissing the badge at Brighton is a regular guy? There's simply no logic whatsoever to your argument is there?

Interested to know at what point being "okay" overpaid becomes being "too" overpaid?

And, if you are indifferent, as someone else said leave the posting to people who do care about our national team, rather than trying to wind people up?
  • Options
    No problems @cabbles each to their own and I too get angry at some of the performances but will always come back for more, I suspect you will in a couple of years time when you here Footballs coming home again ;-) e
  • Options

who's in our group?

Switzerland
    Slovenia
    Estonia
    Lithuania
    San Marino

Two qualify, one goes into play-offs.
    We haven't got a chance against that lot. We might scrape a plucky 1-0 or 1-1 against Lithuania.
  • Options

Heading out to Basel for the first match of euro 2016 quallifing group.
    First time I would of followed England abroad.
    Anyone else going out there for it?

you really are a sucker for punishment. god, didn't the world cup and previous embarrassing performances in major tournaments tell you anything?
    God, if you cant support your own country, then what sort of a problem do you have?
    i don't have a problem, i could ask the same of you wasting good money after bad, it's bad enough with charlton let alone england as well.
    Difference being that i love Charlton but i love my country too - seems you have a problem with the latter.
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:

No problems @cabbles each to their own and I too get angry at some of the performances but will always come back for more, I suspect you will in a couple of years time when you here Footballs coming home again ;-) e

I hope so. Hats off to those that stay positive and go and support them, just think they (we) deserve more.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

They don't get paid for playing for England (well they do, but it goes to charlty, not in their pockets). So that really puts that side of your argument to bed I guess, as they do play for the shirt?

They kiss the badge and it's bollocks? So they can't win can they, if they show passion for the only national badge they will ever wear you just dismiss it as "bollox". But some bod from the Wirral who kisses the Charlton badge he wears for two years between kissing the badge at Wigan and kissing the badge at Brighton is a regular guy? There's simply no logic whatsoever to your argument is there?

Interested to know at what point being "okay" overpaid becomes being "too" overpaid?

And, if you are indifferent, as someone else said leave the posting to people who do care about our national team, rather than trying to wind people up?

my apologies algarve, i forgot the rules on here that say, if you don't agree with the consensus then your not allowed to post on discussions.

you're putting words into my mouth, i didn't say that the players got paid to play for england i simply said their overpaid and they are. we all know money is ruining football and the chasm this has created.

i also never mentioned either that there was an ok level to being overpaid, their all overpaid, end of!

i also didn't say anything about it being ok for charlton players wherever they may come from kissing the badge. i simply said i feel more of an affinity with charlton because they are the club i've supported, they are my local team or were when i was a boy. i always felt that my local club were always within touching distance, that it was real but england would always be out of reach.

how long has it been since england impressed or won a major tournament? how many times do we watch countries like costa rica, u s a or australia put more passion into playing for their country than any of our players or are we just going to continually roll out lame excuse after lame excuse.

so is your logic, if i'm not a royalist, then that means i don't love my country? is it treason to disagree?

i'm not trying to wind people up but you clearly can't have a discussion without boiling over, if people don't agree with you, are you a dictator?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Apology accepted, but then why go on with your argument? I can be sarcastic too...

If your post consists of digs at other people, who are just expressing their excitement at going to see the national team play, who have said nothing at all to directly provoke you then yes, I think that would be considered a wind up.

Just to remind you of what you said initially:

"you really are a sucker for punishment. god, didn't the world cup and previous embarrassing performances in major tournaments tell you anything?"

I think most people would see that as a provocative on a thread about going to watch England play?

Putting words in your mouth? Here's a couple more quotes of yours:

"have pride in wearing the shirt not the pay packet!"

"all we ask as fans is that the players play for the shirt and not the pay packet."

Now on a thread about England and England players, I think you must understand that those two sentences might be construed as referring to England and that they are being paid by England? If you are talking about Manchester City or Bayern Munich, could you make that a little clearer next time (there's ole Doctor sarcasm back again)...

Another of your own sentences:

"we say the same thing about charlton and yes we have players who may be over paid but not to the degree of the top stars."

So that's not you saying literally that there's an okay level to being over paid, but again forgive me for reading it that way, as you are clearly differentiating between the amount players are paid at different levels, whilst agreeing that they are all over paid; this would - to most logical minds - indicate that at some point a ceiling is reached, above which players are "too" overpaid", no?

My points about kissing the badge were to illustrate why I cannot understand your "logic", it's an analogy, drawn from your own reference to kissing badges. You then go on to compound my confusion by talking about an affinity with Charlton because they were local, but a distance from England, even though you tread the very soil of that nation day in day out; even if you never, ever left the confines of SE7, you would still be walking on both the hallowed soil of Charlton and that of England. It just does not stack up.

No one is arguing that we are disappointed that England have not done well in finals tournaments - although just two years ago we did win our group and reach the quarter finals where we lost on penalties - but as "other players and countries do not concern" you, with whom are you making the comparison? Can you tell me what lame excuses were rolled out and by whom (of any official standing) after the recent world cup please (that's a direct question)? And how many times do you watch Costa Rica, Australia and the USA - as "other players and countries do not concern" you, not very often I would wager?

Where I have put words in your mouth, and I do apologise for this, is suggesting you are indifferent to the England national team, reading your posts back, you are pretty much openly hostile about them.

I have been VERY careful never to mix up the idea of loyalty to the football team and loyalty to the country in any of my posts. But to make it crystal clear, I'm not suggesting that you are not a loyal Englishman.

I am also not "boiling over", just countering your argument with experience and logic, answering each point as well as I can in the face of the mixed messages and confused logic you are expressing.

Nowt wrong with a good debate old boy, and I did try to put a lid on things way back with "each to their own", but you keep coming back which is fine...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Those who are going I hope have a great time... Just had a 4-night Holiday in Switzerland (Interlaken / Swiss Alps region) and it really is a lovely place
  • Options

Those who are going I hope have a great time... Just had a 4-night Holiday in Switzerland (Interlaken / Swiss Alps region) and it really is a lovely place

But EXPENSIVE !!!!
  • Options

But EXPENSIVE !!!!
    Ohhh yes
  • Options
    I'm going - having one of my best mates move to Geneva last month made it a bit of a nobrainer. Having been lucky enough to go to Brazil this summer, I hope that the fans are as good in Switzerland, and that the team plays better. This is my first proper England away day.

@TheBrand09‌ - will message you nearer the time so as to grab a Charlton drink beforehand
  • Options
    Went to Basel for the 3-1 win in 2010. It's a lovely city but as everyone has suggested, very expensive. I actually stayed across the border in France and got the train to Basel which was much cheaper.
  • Options
    So did everyone get a ticket? Much lower allocation than last time of 2,079 but only 2,400 applied so won't affect too many.
  • Options
    Yeah we were ok, 11 caps for a guaranteed ticket which suggests a low'ish take-up of the new scheme?
  • Options
    Got a ticket. Cat 3. Only have 3 caps.
  • Options
    Swerve said:

Yeah we were ok, 11 caps for a guaranteed ticket which suggests a low'ish take-up of the new scheme?

Maybe an expensive world cup has taken its toll. Will massively pick towards France 2016.
  • Options
    Swerve said:

Yeah I think because the new membership has been a bit of a joke communication wise. The new website is a bag of shite. Joining the travel club wasnt the easiest thing to find. Plenty of people didn't even know the registration for the game had happened.

Only 1 cap for away games.

That plus the usual poor and expensive WC, and we were only in Swiss a few years ago.

And ultimately our away support is not as great as we like to think these days.

I think anyone joining later than now will be unlikely to get a France ticket but they won't realise that - as long as the FA get their money.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I think anyone joining later than now will be unlikely to get a France ticket but they won't realise that - as long as the FA get their money.

Assuming allocations will be 7-8000 for the euros and you needed 11 caps to be guaranteed for this I'd say most of those applying won't get tickets. £75 is a joke to be able to buy away tickets, and the site is awful as you say.
  • Options
    Hart

Clyne
    Cahill
    Stones
    Shaw

Henderson
    Wilshere

Sterling
    Barkley
    Lallana

Sturridge

Forget the oldies, just try this young team.
  • Options
    Anyone else confused by the ticket allocation for Norway? I was under the impression that you could buy multiple tickets for home games now (up to 8) but when I phoned for the Norway game I was told it was just one per member. Anyone else caught out, or was it just me?
  • Options

Anyone else confused by the ticket allocation for Norway? I was under the impression that you could buy multiple tickets for home games now (up to 8) but when I phoned for the Norway game I was told it was just one per member. Anyone else caught out, or was it just me?

If you bought your ticket during the member only sale then you are only allowed one. Its in the general you are allowed multiple.
  • Options

If you bought your ticket during the member only sale then you are only allowed one. Its in the general you are allowed multiple.
    Excuse me for being a bit thick, but how is that different to before? Could you not buy multiple tickets in the general sale in the past? I thought the whole point of the 'new' membership was to encourage people to bring guests. Otherwise there is no chance of filling Wembley for the dullest qualifying group in living memory!!
  • Options

Excuse me for being a bit thick, but how is that different to before? Could you not buy multiple tickets in the general sale in the past? I thought the whole point of the 'new' membership was to encourage people to bring guests. Otherwise there is no chance of filling Wembley for the dullest qualifying group in living memory!!
    I think they do it this way as members have a discount. None of it really makes sense any more.
  • Options

I think they do it this way as members have a discount. None of it really makes sense any more.
    You're spot on there - one cap for away games? Where's the sense in that?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    As a member you can now buy 8 tickets during the priority sale but the other 7 also have to be members. You used to only be able to buy 4 together. I think that is the change, so more of your (member) mates can sit together.

No change to general sale I don't believe, so it does not help if you're a member but want to take a load of non-members. That will be the same as before.
  • Options

As a member you can now buy 8 tickets during the priority sale but the other 7 also have to be members. You used to only be able to buy 4 together. I think that is the change, so more of your (member) mates can sit together.

No change to general sale I don't believe, so it does not help if you're a member but want to take a load of non-members. That will be the same as before.

Was that not the case before the new membership?
  • Options
    Registration for Estonia away begins tomorrow.