Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Colchester Utd | Tues 12th Aug 2014 | Capital One Cup | Match Preview and Predictions

Tuesday night sees the return of Capital One Cup football at the Valley as Charlton welcome Colchester United to SE7.

Colchester will be hoping to improve on last year’s efforts in the competition after losing 5-1 at home to Peterborough in the first round.

The Addicks will be hoping to avoid Huddersfield (if both teams get through) in the next round as it was the Terriers who knocked Charlton out last season in the second round of the cup.

The Opposition

Colchester narrowly avoided relegation from League One last season, but thanks to a Craig Eastmond goal in their final game of the season away at Walsall, the U’s sealed their safety. In fact, Joe Dunne’s side managed to end the season six points adrift from the relegation zone.

The League One outfit drew 2-2 against Oldham last Saturday in their first league game of the season. Former Charlton target Magnus Okuonghae and West Ham loanee George Moncur were the scorers for Colchester as they now target an upset in London on Tuesday night.

Tomorrow will see the return of Charlton legend Mark Kinsella at the Valley. The Ireland international enjoyed a very successful six year spell in SE7 and is now the assistant manager of Colchester. He’ll be remembered for moments such as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxUaTMLaVjg

PLAYERS TO WATCH:

Colchester:

Colchester’s player to watch is their skipper and centre-back Magnus Okuonghae. He was heavily linked with Charlton around the 2011/12 era and Okuonghae is still allegedly interesting one or two clubs. He is a big physical presence at the back and has the capabilities of causing one or two problems from set-pieces as this video shows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Mq80W-wxQI

Charlton:

It’s difficult to say who will be Charlton’s player to watch as we don’t know what kind of side Bob Peeters will put out. However, one player I can see making a start is summer signing Franck Moussa. The midfielder enjoyed two successful years at Coventry where he scored 20 goals in 92 appearances prior to his move to the Valley.

In case you haven’t seen what he can do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0aSyvYWfMA

The Line –Up

As stated before, it’s highly likely that Peeters will select a blend of youth an experience including some fringe players on Tuesday night.

In goal, Nick Pope may be given a chance to see what he can do in place of Stephen Henderson.

In defence, a back four of Wilson, Morrison, Gomez and Fox is likely and doesn’t look too bad on paper either.

In midfield, Franck Moussa and Callum Harriott may start. Gudmundsson may keep his place at right midfield although Loic Nego will also be in contention.

Jordan Cousins may be given a start in the centre of midfield and youngster Jack Munns will be also pushing for a first team spot.

Up-front, Joe Pigott and Simon Church will probably be given a chance to shine, although Peeters may also consider starting Harriott as a striker/number 10 following his performances in that position in pre-season.

Alternatively, I could be completely wrong and Peeters could name the same eleven that started against Brentford last weekend!

The Prediction

A nervy, but successful 1-0 victory for the Addicks.

Comments

• Options
    think the line up is close but don't think any of the 11 who started Saturday will start tomorrow

Cousins to be replaced by Munns
    Gudmundsson to be replaced by Ansah from your line up

3-0 home win Church to end his Charlton career with a brace and Harriott to get the 3rd
  • Options
    Would like to see wilson in midfield and nego at right back...apart from a couple of players that would make a very youthful side id be very interested in seeing how they do
  • Options
    I live in Colchester so know quite a bit about the local side. They play good football and will give it a good go with some lively young players, but they tend not to have the physical presence that lower-league teams can sometimes use to know a higher-division side out of their stride. So I can only be optimistic about this 3-1.
  • Options

I want to go but can't bring myself to purchase a ticket to watch a front two of Joe Piggott and Simon Church.

Exactly what I was thinking.
  • Options

I want to go but can't bring myself to purchase a ticket to watch a front two of Joe Piggott and Simon Church.

Yep I know what you mean, think I'm gonna go but only cause I want to see the new pitch
  • Options
    I expect to see a back of five of Pope, Wilson, Morro, Gomez and Fox, which isn't too shabby even for The Championship is it? Nice to finally have a squad.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

it will be Simon Church's farewell game, surely you wanna see that and thank him for everything he has done for us :-)
  • Options

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23499437
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Scoham said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23499437
    only 3 of that starting 11 still at the club lol

in fact only 6 of the whole 18 are still here
  • Options
    Not sure how a midfield 2 of Moussa and Cousins would work. Moussa strikes me as an attacking midfielder who doesn't normally do the defensive side so Jordan may be horribly exposed. Considering we apparently had issues with a two of Jackson and Buyens I'd be concerned.
  • Options
    2-0 win for the Mighty Addicks!

Goals from Pigott & Moussa.
  • Options
    A very unCharton-like comprehensive 3-0 victory.

I see we have Huddersfield away in the league on 23 August, and the Capital One Cup 2nd round takes place the following midweek, so I don't think you need to be a genius to work out who and where we'll be playing in Round 2.

Let me be the first to say "Good on you" to the small band of loyal masochists making both trips.
  • Options
    Would like to see

Pope
    Wilson
    Gomez
    Morrison
    Fox
    Rw Gudmasson
    Lw Harriott
    Jackson
    Moussa
    Tucadean
    Piggy/Church
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Goalkeeper Chris Lewington will be making his debut for Colchester tomorrow night. Played over 100 games for Dagenham and Redbridge.

Big Charlton Fan. He will have a stormer.
  • Options
    I presume that all 7 of Saturday's subs will start. Is Moussa a wide mid, or can he play more central? If the former, he and Harriott may not fit together well.

I really do hope that we win this. Unless Gomez has been promised a start, I'd prefer to see Morro teamed either Bikey or Ben Haim, to practise a partnership which will be needed sooner or later.

I'd also like to see Cousins in a central mid role, and a strong bench, in case we need to add extra firepower later. I think also that Tucudean could do with an extra run out.

My team:
    Pope
    Wilson, Morrison, Bikey/Ben Haim, Fox
    Gudmundsson, Cousins, Moussa, Harriott
    Tucudean, Pigott/Church

Subs: Henderson, Nego, Gomez, Buyens, Jackson, Church/Pigott, Vetokele
  • Options
    I am really optimistic about what this season holds and feel any second string players will be up for it big time; im going to go and am opting for a 4 1 home win
  • Options
    I will be there, but Pigott and Church up front together really will be tough viewing. We should really be using this opportunity to give Zak Ansah his first game and see what he is made of.
  • Options
    How much is it? I'm actually considering going and I don't know why. Might be because, up until our strikers, our '2nd team' actually looks pretty strong
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2014

How much is it? I'm actually considering going and I don't know why. Might be because, up until our strikers, our '2nd team' actually looks pretty strong

£10 for adults £1 for kids
  • Options
    Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Options
    4-0 Colchester if that's the squad!
  • Options
    Football will be the winner in the end.
  • Options
    2-1 to us after going a goal down early on
  • Options

£10 for adults £1 for kids
    Can't say fairer than that. I'll be there. I don't know why but I will be
  • Options
    If I recall correctly, BP said that he would be playing a different team from Saturday in order to rest players for league matches.
    Have to say I'd like to see a different pairing to Church/Piggott up front, but regardless of that I have my ticket and will be in attendance anyway. Tickets were cheap and I really want to see how good the pitch, catering, renewed seats (and so on) are! :-)
  • Options
    Pity I don't live close enough to see the team selection then decide. Have little interest in watching church and Piggott but would like to see George and Moussa and gudmunson etc. Would be good for the new boys to get some more competitive game time together but don't want them injured. My head hurts. Depends on the weather.

#lastminutedecision.
  • Options

Not sure how a midfield 2 of Moussa and Cousins would work. Moussa strikes me as an attacking midfielder who doesn't normally do the defensive side so Jordan may be horribly exposed. Considering we apparently had issues with a two of Jackson and Buyens I'd be concerned.

Come on man, it's Colchester not Derby! Sure we can cope if that's the line-up BP goes with.
  • Options
    Part of me hopes Bob goes full strength. I want the new look team to have as many minutes as possible to Gel.

He won't and I suspect we could see 11 changes.

2-1 aet.